Processing I-485

HanginThere64

Registered Users (C)
:(
I heard some news that "INS headquarters has issued an order to ALL of its offices to stop approving I-485 cases until further notice sometime in Nov 2002." Has anybody else heard anything about this?

Thanks,
HanginThere64

I heard today that all approvals of I-485 applications will be ceasing for about 2-3 weeks to allow for the establishment of a system which will allow INS to check for "negative"
FBI and other agency checks. I don't know whether this is a curse or blessing but approvals have ceased for now and will not begin again for at least a couple weeks.

I received this information through a source in AILA so I deem it reliable.

Terrible news!

I am surprised INS doesn't have a system in place to do just such a thing already! My god as if the delay wasn't enough already. Once the restructuring starts as per the homeland security bill, there is going to be another stoppage of work. At this rate I doubt if the average processing time for an AOS will be under 2 years!

I wonder what the case officers do when these work stoppage notices arrive? Do they sit and twiddle their thumbs or actually go through a number of files with the thought of expediting the process when the green light is given. Or is that a stupid question to ask? :mad: :(

Now INS has reversed itself!

Fujie Ohata of the INS Immigration Services Division has confirmed to AILA that rampant tales of a halt to adjudications are not true. However, some naturalization and adjustment of status cases will encounter delays.

INS has instituted additional security check procedures. The additional measures were put in place in response to a recent incident in which an individual with suspected ties to Hezbollah was granted naturalization.

Sorry for the bad information but INS just can't seem to get their story straight.

no.... don't change your name to 485_takes_4ever, because that would imply hope.

change your name to 485_will_never_be_approved

Started out with Labor_takes_forever, and the damn thing got stuck in the 245(i) black hole and actually took a year and a half, changed over to 140_takes_4ever and 140 went through in 20 days. Thought the name was lucky :) so kept it for this stage, and with hindsight should probably have changed it to 485_takes_4ever! :(

INS SUCKS!!!!