Problem faced to get new SSN Card

khareabhishek

Hi,

I arrived in US on 22nd June, and then I waited till 10th Jun as told by friends for speedy processing of my application.
When I went to apply for SSN, lady there pointed that the validity date on my I-9 form is invalid, which I have got rectified at deffered inspection site.
Again I have applied for new SSN on 16th Jul 2008, I have been given a letter having reference number and told that I will be getting card in 4-6 weeks of time. It's already 4 weeks and whenever I call SSN office, they tell me that my case is pending with INS verification process. They also given me 1-800-375-5283 to enquire, if there is anything wrong with my case. I have tried, but can;t find suitable option, itis related to USCIC, I tried talking one guy there, but he said I need to have there reference number, which is different from SSN office reference number. Now I am stuck can anyone help me, where to contact, and also can there be any problem because of the Date being updatedon I-9 form.

Thnx

I applied for SSN on 14th Nov 2005 and got it around Feb 2006. What a unlucky fellow.

Ganesh,

You may be unlucky for the delay but may not everytime.

My wife had spend 10 months to renew for her driving license, contacting FBI and Homeland Security as directed by CA DMV. Guess what, her name check (NC) is the culprit. But, the blessing is we got GCs without NC hurdle (as already cleared).

Luck and unluck, very tricky.

Ganesh,

You may be unlucky for the delay but may not everytime.

My wife had spend 10 months to renew for her driving license, contacting FBI and Homeland Security as directed by CA DMV. Guess what, her name check (NC) is the culprit. But, the blessing is we got GCs without NC hurdle (as already cleared).

Luck and unluck, very tricky.

I first applied for an SSN 4 months ago then I re-applied 2 months ago...still nothing. Where could I find out about what happened to my applications? I filled out the paper correctly so that should not be the issue. I called SSA but they said they cannot tell me what the problem is. Should I call DHS? Can they help?

I am not sure why you applied again, which only complicates the matter.

Your first bet is SSN office. By Calling few times, Try to find out where your application got stuck. State how important SSN for you, such as not able to work or not receiving salary. If you know where it got stuck, then ask that department's numer. (For us, DMV CA Headquartes provided the numbers to call). Good luck.

I first applied for an SSN 4 months ago then I re-applied 2 months ago...still nothing. Where could I find out about what happened to my applications? I filled out the paper correctly so that should not be the issue. I called SSA but they said they cannot tell me what the problem is. Should I call DHS? Can they help?

I am not sure why you applied again, which only complicates the matter.

Your first bet is SSN office. By Calling few times, Try to find out where your application got stuck. State how important SSN for you, such as not able to work or not receiving salary. If you know where it got stuck, then ask that department's numer. (For us, DMV CA Headquartes provided the numbers to call). Good luck.

I re-applied because the SSA told me to do so since they told me there is no way that it would take so long to get an SSN so something must be wrong. I asked what went wrong then the guy told me there is no way to look that up (I guess they did not want to) so he told me the only way to get one is to re-apply. I asked if that can cause a problem, he said it cannot. I am overseas, there is no way that I could go to their office. When I called them again, they told me to wait 3 MONTHS at least because I applied through a consulate the second time. So they are giving out no info. Did finally the DHS solve your problem or was it the FBI?