Priority Date Retrogress: Impact on Employment based petition

Found Some Information.....

From murthy.com....in my case my I-140 was also approved however I do not have the I-140 receipt it is with company x...maybe attorney can fight for my case saying that labor was approved I think I have the I-140 related application that was filed (a copy) but no receipt maybe the INS can retrieve that information themselves......I hope I would be ok...I thought I will add this information here for others....

Question : I was laid off after my I-140 was approved. Now I am with a new employer. Will I have to start my GC process from the scratch?
Answer : If the I-485 was never filed, then the entire GC process has to start from scratch. The only benefit is the ability to transfer the original priority date from the previously approved I-140 petition to the new I-140 at the time of filing it, by requesting that the date be transferred. Otherwise, one has to start all over again from the LC stage.

how back can they retrogress?

If priority dates retrogress how back can they go? Since Nebraska is catching up with Nov-Dec 2003 485 cases...we should not see them rolled back to more than a year right? I am assuming whatever date they are processing now....that would be the dates when the dates are retrogressed....

Any suggestions???

rest_2004_free said:
If priority dates retrogress how back can they go? Since Nebraska is catching up with Nov-Dec 2003 485 cases...we should not see them rolled back to more than a year right? I am assuming whatever date they are processing now....that would be the dates when the dates are retrogressed....

Any suggestions???

u shouldn't forget that DOl began removing its backlog through those backlog centers and soon i expect that those centers will be very fast therefore they will dump their applications on uscis in 2 years as this is the plan to remove the whole dol backlog which is around 300,000 cases and most of those cases r from april 2001 this means that soon u will c a cut off date like april 2001, this is my expectation but when exactly april 2001 will show of, i'm not sure. what do u think?

Hmmm

Different regions will have different cutoff dates I hope because in Chicago-Nebraska there will very few cases with 2001 priority dates right? In that case will Nebraska INS have a separate cutoff as compared NY and other states ?

antonioa77 said:
u shouldn't forget that DOl began removing its backlog through those backlog centers and soon i expect that those centers will be very fast therefore they will dump their applications on uscis in 2 years as this is the plan to remove the whole dol backlog which is around 300,000 cases and most of those cases r from april 2001 this means that soon u will c a cut off date like april 2001, this is my expectation but when exactly april 2001 will show of, i'm not sure. what do u think?

rest_2004_free said:
Different regions will have different cutoff dates I hope because in Chicago-Nebraska there will very few cases with 2001 priority dates right? In that case will Nebraska INS have a separate cutoff as compared NY and other states ?

no, the cut off is one nationwide, it is not region specific, this means that nebraska or vermont or texas or california centers visas numbers r not distributed evenly, who process more take the numbers. so it is a mess my friend.

other Quota

i HAVE HEARD SOME WHERE THAT OTHER COUNTIRES QUOTA WILL BE UTILIZED IF THIER'S IS NOT EXHAUSTED

Not always

You do not necessarily have to have an approved I-140 or a filed I-485 to get a 7th year extension. If you have a labor certification application filed for you 365 days before your 6 year expiration, you would be able to get a 7th year extension.

Regards

Ray S. said:
Hi,

part 2- act 21 century states that in order to get the 7 th year extension u need that ur i-140 be approved and ur i-485 be pending for more than 6 months. but after jan 2005, according to part 1, there will not be a way to fill i-485 , this means that act 21 century or 7 th year extension will not be available anymore unless ur labor certificate pended for more than 1 year.

Can some one answer this

My LC recd date May 2001approved date nov 2003, 140,485,ead,ap recd date May 2004 ap/ead/140 approved Oct 2004 485 pending h1 expiring 6th year May 2005 Can I apply for 7th year extension will date retrogreassin affect my case. Please reply
Thanks in Advance :confused:

Well I think the Quata might be increased in congress

I think to get rid of the backlogd the Prez migth pass a law allocating more numbers ,...just as in the case of the aslyee cases in the recent past

If visa number starts backlogging, an Application for Permanent Residence cannot be filed unless the alien has a "priority date" established before the cutoff.

Only when an Application for Permanent Residence is filed, work authorization for the principal and any dependant members can be obtained. International travel authorization can also be obtained.

Applicants who have already filed their Adjustment of Status Applications can remain in the U.S. and continue working even if the priority dates retrogress while their applications are pending. When all of the security clearances are completed, there must be a visa number available and if that is not the case, there is nothing to do but wait. However, applicants must continue to renew their work authorization yearly to keep this valid. The wait could turn into several years and if the basis for the application is a Labor Certification, the applicant must make certain to continue being employed as this is crucial to the application being approved when a visa number becomes available.

Ray S. said:
4. EB Numbers Expected to Backlog Soon - RNs Hardest Hit

What difference will this make?

Since most EB immigrants are required to have approved applications for
labor certification before they may apply for adjustment of status, and
because it takes at least two years to obtain an approved labor
certificate, they will not be affected by the backlogs. However, there
is one group of applicants who will be immediately and adversely
affected by the backlogs.
http://shusterman.com/toc-rn.html#8

Last edited by a moderator:
Prior or After

Hi,
In this article it says "Persons with "priority dates" prior to some
unknown date in 2002 will no longer be able to apply to adjust their
status in the U.S."

Is it Prior or after? I am confused. I have applied labor in December 2001. That means I am no longer eligible for 485 if the cut off date is in 2002?

Please any one clarify this.
Thanks
Krishna

You should be able to file I-485 if cutoff date is set sometime in 2002.

kriskish said:
Hi,
In this article it says "Persons with "priority dates" prior to some
unknown date in 2002 will no longer be able to apply to adjust their
status in the U.S."

Is it Prior or after? I am confused. I have applied labor in December 2001. That means I am no longer eligible for 485 if the cut off date is in 2002?

Please any one clarify this.
Thanks
Krishna

Regression of Visa Numbers/History

Everyone keeps wondering how far the number will regress.
Well I looked a few things up just to see what the priority dates were before everything was current.

Employment Based Catagories

In June 2001 Visa Bulletin

1rst preference all countries (those countries with limits also) were current.

2nd preference all countires (those countries with limits also) were current.

3rd preference all countires were current EXCEPT INDIA their priority date was 01-JAN-1999.

Other workers all countries and those with limits the priority date was 01-May-1999.

4th preference all catagories (those countries with limits also) were current.

Certain Religious workers (those countries with limits also) were current.

5th preference (those countries with limits also) were current.

From July 2001 onwards things have been current.
Just for reference China used to be a country with limits also; that was until December 2001 and since then they are not a country with limits, Now its just India, Mexico and the Phillipines.

singhnsingh said:
My LC recd date May 2001approved date nov 2003, 140,485,ead,ap recd date May 2004 ap/ead/140 approved Oct 2004 485 pending h1 expiring 6th year May 2005 Can I apply for 7th year extension will date retrogreassin affect my case. Please reply

You do not need a H1 if your EAD is approved.

Your H1 extension is not going to get affected by PD retrogress.

singhnsingh said:
My LC recd date May 2001approved date nov 2003, 140,485,ead,ap recd date May 2004 ap/ead/140 approved Oct 2004 485 pending h1 expiring 6th year May 2005

Can I apply for 7th year extension will date retrogreassin affect my case. Please reply

This will require a bill in congress and I don't see that happening in near future.

pani_6 said:
I think to get rid of the backlogd the Prez migth pass a law allocating more numbers ,...just as in the case of the aslyee cases in the recent past

Regression of EB-3 Priority Dates for India, China, & Philippines in January and Points to Remember

- In the Visa Bulletin for December 2004, the Department of State reconfirmed that starting January 2005, there would be visa cut-off dates for EB-3 category for India, China, and Philippines. Unconfirmed sources indicate that the regression is likely very steep. People may want to know what this means.

- The USCIS will accept until the end of December 2004 the stand-alone I-485 applications and concurrent I-140/I-485 applications even if the visa number will not be available under the January 2005 Visa Bulletin inasmuch as the application is physically receipted by the agency. The USCIS has yet to release its policy but it is likely that pending the visa number availability and adjudication of I-485 applications, USCIS may continue to issue EAD and Advance Parole to these applicants. It is thus critically important that people file concurrent applications before the end of 2004 even if there is some deficiency in terms of documentation.

- The I-485 applications which are pending as of January 1, 2005 will go into a long dormant stage within the agency until certain date which is close to the date when the visa number will become available for him or her.

- The long wait always accompanies the risk of losing the job with the sponsoring employer for whatever reasons. The AC 21 Act Section 106(c) allows I-485 applicants to change employment without losing the green card opportunity inasmuch as the job is similar or identical occupational classification and the change happens after 180 days of filing of I-485 applications. However, as reminded repeatedly on this site, AC 21 180-day rule is seriously crippled by the two rules of the USCIS. One is the so-called Yates Memo which interpreted that I-140 approval is precondition for 180-day change of employment provision. Worse yet, the second rule, which is in fact a procedural policy rather than a rule, requires the Service Centers to adjudicate concurrently filed I-140 and I-485 "concurrently." If this practice continues on and after January 1, 2005, the I-140 petitions will remain unadjudicated until the visa number becomes available for him/her. On the surface, the USCIS may have two options to deal with the predicaments: One is to announce as soon as possible reversing the Yates memo and allowing the I-485 applicants to change employer even before the I-140 is approved. The second option is for the USCIS quickly abandon the "concurren adjudication" policy and adjudicate I-140 petitions independently from the concurrently filed I-485 applications. In the second option, the USCIS should also reduce the I-140 processing times substantially. Which will be a better option? Considering the fact that the USCIS may have to stop adjudicating I-140 petitions for those aliens whose visa priority dates are a "far apart" from the visa availity date for the purpose of effective allocation and utilization of its limited adjudication resources, the second option of abandoning "concurrent adjudication" does not seem to give a right answer. The right answer and solution lie with the first option of reversing the Yates memo. In fact, the USCIS may have no other alternative to deal with the forthcoming predicament! We urge the USCIS to release the so-called USCIS General Counsel's memo which is at the stage of draft reversing the Yates memo.

- Those who have yet to reach the USCIS proceedings should be more mindful of the impact of his/her decision on pending labor certification application or immigrant petition in terms of the consequences of such decision on the loss of priority date. Retaining and preserving priority may be as precious as prompt approval of labor certification application. People in this category should get to learn the rules of priority date and retention of priority date. In parallel with the retension rule, consular processing tends to be riskier when priority dates move backward in the sense that concular processing does not give the benefits of EAD, AP, and other ancillary benefits that comes with pending I-485 applications.

- Allied healthcare workers who in most cases belong to EB-3 petitions will suffer tremendously since concurrently filing of I-140 and I-485 and the accompanying ancillary benefits such as EAD will not be available. One wonders how the USCIS will deal with the problem of shortage of healthcare workers in the future.

- It is hoped that the Congress steps in and works out legislative solutions to deal with these challenges ahead overcoming strong opposition from both extreme right and extreme left political forces.

Source: http://www.immigration-law.com/

Does UCIS foresee EB2 visas retrogressing?

Will the same scenario apply for EB2 as well in JAn 05?
If not will happen later in 2005?

What is the priority date that UCIS uses to put the I-485 and I-140 in the queue; is it
LC received date @ the SWA or the
LC priority date @ Regional DOL?

What happens when the SWAs and regional DOLs cease to exist in 2005?

cheers