President Bush's' immigration plan

There is a LONG way between the proposed bill and its signature into law. Let's wait and see if this thing passes and in what form before you guys go and burn your H-1 papers.

Of note though is that the alien would need to have worked in the US for five years. That probably would mean that the alien would need to have paid US taxes for those 5 years.

Somehow you omitted the language that "They would have to pass national security and criminal background checks, pay federal taxes, . . ."

Hi Jim,

Probably I would have to ask IRS, but how do the undocumented immigrants pay their taxes?? They need SSN to pay taxes, which they would not have because SSN needs valid visa (or citizenship) - so I find it a bit difficult to digest that any undocumented worker would have paid any taxes at all.

Also shouldn't DOL cross check their IRS and USCIS records, ah! the "democracy", Feds are willing to covertly analyze my poop for illegal substances, but they will not cross check their own databases to find inconsistencies.

Originally posted by Jim Mills
There is a LONG way between the proposed bill and its signature into law. Let's wait and see if this thing passes and in what form before you guys go and burn your H-1 papers.

Of note though is that the alien would need to have worked in the US for five years. That probably would mean that the alien would need to have paid US taxes for those 5 years.

Many illegal aliens have obtained SSNs long ago when it was much easier or have managed to obtain an SSN when they were legal and now have gone out of status. Many do pay taxes. I have a consultation next week with a business owner who overstayed his visa and is now married to a USC. There are lots of different ways that it happens, but it happens frequently. Those that have never paid taxes will probably be forced to file years of back tax returns (and pay interest and penalties) or be denied due to criminal acts (tax evasion).

Of course, as I pointed out above and now need to take my own advice, it's too early to even say whether this bill has any chance of passing, let alone to discuss the form it will be in when it actually does pass.

Full Text of Bi-Partisan "Immigration Reform Act of 2004"

Table of Contents:

TITLE I-- FAMILY REUNIFICATION
SEC. 101. TREATMENT OF IMMEDIATE RELATIVES WITH RESPECT TO THE FAMILY IMMIGRATION CAP.
SEC. 102. RECLASSIFICATION OF SPOUSES AND MINOR CHILDREN OF LEGAL PERMANENT RESIDENTS AS IMMEDIATE RELATIVES.
SEC. 103. EXCEPTIONS.

TITLE II--WILLING WORKER PROGRAM
SEC. 201. WILLING WORKERS.
SEC. 202. RECRUITMENT OF UNITED STATES WORKERS.
SEC. 203. ADMISSION OF WILLING WORKERS.
SEC. 204. WORKER PROTECTIONS.
SEC. 205. NOTIFICATION OF EMPLOYEE RIGHTS.
SEC. 206. PORTABILITY.
SEC. 207. SPOUSES AND CHILDREN OF WILLING WORKERS.
SEC. 208. PETITIONS BY EMPLOYER GROUPS AND UNIONS.
SEC. 209. PROCESSING TIME FOR PETITIONS.
SEC. 210. TERMS OF ADMISSION.
SEC. 211. NUMBER OF VISAS ISSUED.
SEC. 212. IMMIGRATION STUDY COMMISSION.
SEC. 213. CHANGE OF STATUS.
SEC. 214. ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS TO LAWFUL PERMANENT RESIDENT.
SEC. 215. GROUNDS OF INADMISSIBILITY.
SEC. 216. PETITION FEES.
SEC. 217. TERMINATON OF H-2C TEMPORARY WORKER PROGRAM.
SEC. 218. DEFINITIONS.
SEC. 219. COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENTS.
SEC. 220. REPORT ON WAGE DETERMINATION.
SEC. 221. INELIGIBILITY FOR CERTAIN NONIMMIGRANT STATUS.
SEC. 222. INVESTIGATIONS BY DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY DURING LABOR DISPUTES.
SEC. 223. PROTECTION OF WITNESSES.
`STAY OF REMOVAL
`CONFIDENTIALITY OF IMMIGRATION INFORMATION OBTAINED DURING ADMINISTRATIVE PROCEEDINGS
SEC. 224. DOCUMENT FRAUD.

TITLE III--ACCESS TO EARNED ADJUSTMENT
SEC. 301. ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS.
`ACCESS TO EARNED ADJUSTMENT
SEC. 302. CORRECTION OF SOCIAL SECURITY RECORDS.

For the full text of the bill, please click here:
http://www.immigration-law.com/Temporary File.html

Last edited by a moderator: