President Bush's' immigration plan

Hexamon

Registered Users (C)
Jan. 7: President Bush on Wednesday will announce a proposal to overhaul immigration laws. The idea could appeal to Hispanic voters, but it is already being criticized by conservatives. NBC's Norah O'Donnell reports.
For instance, Bush wants to increase the nation’s yearly allotment of green cards that allow for permanent U.S. residency, but won’t say by how much, the officials said. Around 1 million green cards a year are issued now, though just 140,000 of them are employment-based

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/ID/3887721/

Isn't this outragous? Only 14% of all GC-s are issued to skilled workers as of now! And Administration wants even more to be issued to illigal immigrants! I personally have nothing against illigals, but putting people who didn't violate immigration laws, payed US taxes, spent years in backlogs in the same boat as the ones who did none of these, is, mildly said, unfair.

On the bright side though, this will most likly force the Government to do something about these backlogs. We might even live to see it :D

Originally posted by Hexamon
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/ID/3887721/

Isn't this outragous? Only 14% of all GC-s are issued to skilled workers as of now! And Administration wants even more to be issued to illigal immigrants! I personally have nothing against illigals, but putting people who didn't violate immigration laws, payed US taxes, spent years in backlogs in the same boat as the ones who did none of these, is, mildly said, unfair.

On the bright side though, this will most likly force the Government to do something about these backlogs. We might even live to see it :D

And of course this mean another glut of applications and backlogs similar to those resulting in April 1st 2001.
This is just great!!! This government just keeps coming out with more and more amazing ideas.

Wonder where the MSNBC article got this information from:
"If permanent residency were not granted before the worker’s term was up — a likely outcome given the long backlog of applicants and the relatively small percentage of applicants who receive green cards every year — the person would have to return home to apply from there."

Is there a separate visa category going to be created for these people? Or does the AC21 not apply here (the provision for 7th yr extension to the H1B)?

Hopefully the AC21 gets overlooked and the USCIS is told to acquire more resources for EB petitions :D

K

Actually there's an interesting tidbit in the plan about Social Security payments. Depending on what amount of payments are made available, it may be time to think of early retirement :)

Bush's amnesty plan

I had the same reaction when I first heard the news on CNN. I am really frustrated with this whole thing. But then I thought about it and here is my theory:
1. Bush wants to give amnesty to illegals because majority of these people do jobs that americans don't want to do. (Usually earn less than $40000.

2. It takes longer for skilled people like us who pay taxes etc... because we are doing jobs that americans supposedly want.

Please donot get carried away by this thing. Lets hope that we get our GC's quicker through the legal process.

lalaker

Re: Bush's amnesty plan

Ok, I just joked about becoming an illegal, surely those people have their own stories, which may deserve more sympathy. But there are harldy anybody who cares about the legal immigrants, the process of getting GC is so slow, yet not one government offical does anything about it. Republicans dont want us becuase they think most of us will support Democrats once we naturalize (they should read Ray's posting :) maybe they will change their mindsets about immigrants), and I guess Democrats know immigrants support them, so they dont care (damn Dems).

Bottomline: this whole illegal immigrants program is a sham to get some political brownie points.

Originally posted by lalaker
I had the same reaction when I first heard the news on CNN. I am really frustrated with this whole thing. But then I thought about it and here is my theory:
1. Bush wants to give amnesty to illegals because majority of these people do jobs that americans don't want to do. (Usually earn less than $40000.

2. It takes longer for skilled people like us who pay taxes etc... because we are doing jobs that americans supposedly want.

Please donot get carried away by this thing. Lets hope that we get our GC's quicker through the legal process.

lalaker

Cause Bush understands Spanish!

Sr. querido Bush,

Es de hecho diversión para cruzar la frontera y para tener diversión aquí. Guárdelo encima de vaquero.

Es aún más diversión para hacer crímenes en los U.S.A.

Que amamos a veces el robar y a veces el matar - para un cambio el carjacking es bueno también.

Esta gente que habita de la ley no puede hacer cualquier cosa.

Déjelo gritar Texan.

Buen Trabajo.

Translation(almost):

Dear Mr. Bush,

It is indeed fun to cross the border and have fun here. Keep it up cowboy.

It is even more fun to do crimes in USA.

Sometimes we love robbing and sometimes killing - for a change carjacking is good too.

These law abiding people cannot do any such thing.

Let them cry Texan.

Good Job.

This does not appear to be a waiver for crimes (in fact, the US is getting more and more strict about criminal activity, far fewer waivers are available and they are much harder to get). This also does not appear to be a blanket amnesty. It does not appear to move anyone up ahead of people that have already filed, new filers will have to get in line behind those who have already filed. It appears to merely give people who are here now, raising families, and in many cases paying taxes, the legal right to remain under certain restrictions.

Undocumented aliens are easy prey for criminals since if they report a crime, they risk detention and removal. I got two calls today from people who had a friend or family member taken into custody today. One had an LC pending in Maryland and was waiting for approval. The other went for an adjustment interview and was taken into custody due to a much earlier removal order that had been entered against her. Apparently she never received the NTA (Notice To Appear) and a deportation order was entered against her due to her failure to appear.

Of course, the announcement was a political statement made by the US President during an election year. To my knowledge, no bill has been proposed yet. There is a long way to go.

Jim,

With due respect, if I may present my perception:

No taxation without representation - wasn't it basis of Stamp Act Congress by James Otis? Where is our representation?

I see a large section of people being spoon-fed (no Tax, get GC, get Social Security benefits) and others are having blood sucked out of veins (pay taxes, get fingerprinted on POE, wait till indefinite time to get GC processing done.).

You are right when you say - Illegal ones are prey to crimes, however would you disagree - legal ones are forced to live like bonded laborers till they get their GC? Someone had to pay 4 times tuition fee for his kid as his GC is delayed and his state doesn't considers him a resident (thread on this portal only.).

Your argument is valid to an extent and I would support it if legal ones get there processing done in time, else it is emotional appeal for me. I agree that it is surely politically biased and definitely sucks.

I can tell you one thing - precisely for these games - even if a person lives in US for 30 years - he still has affinity towards his/her land of origin. I have been to places in world and I had a sense of belonging growing day by day. In USA, the more I live - the more I feel it is good only for making money, a nice lifestyle - that is all. I do not think any school in USA could teach a kid be more American if parents are thinking the way I do. There is in-depth pain when I say so. I have been one of the volunteers after 9/11 - close to your place - for Morristown, NJ Red Cross. I was surprised I could see not too many people volunteering (American or otherwise). Now I get the point why!

Having to pay non-resident tuition after paying state taxes year after year is definitely troubling. Do we have to sue the state/university every time they classify us as non-residents ?

In fact, in Washington State, the illegals are classified as residents, but not legal non-immigrants. It looks like a lot of the universites/states are pushing their luck in the hope that they can bilk non-immigrants before they are sued. I remember someone sued & won in California to have H/L non-immigrants classified as residents.

Is that the general course of action to take ? Sue the university, point to the H/L dual intent clause and the California case ?

Thankfully, gc applicants are people with the means to do this if required.

ficapls,

Try to convince the university thru your tax filing. It means state considers you to be a resident.

If you are paying as resident of state - I believe - they will give an ear to your voice too.

But just in case - yes - one has to be prepared to lawsuit on lines that you said.

I must admit CA has always impressed me as more just state.

See there is a politics in considering illegals as resident - they will never go to university - maybe 1% to 5% will ever think of studying. But with legal ones - case may be different - citizens may loose all the top ranks in no time - it is a desparate attempt by government not to let others study - cause they cannot stand competition. (I see everyday in my workplace).

Given fair chance - pride will be redefined.

Last edited by a moderator:
BBC stands for "Britain's Broadcasting system".

They have been biased in reporting as ever. I had sent a reply to them and with couple of links with NYT.

Now onwards I will say - lots of people died in UK last summer due to heat(BBC style reporting.)

BBC can anytime put Goebelles to shame.

What Does Bush Plan Really Mean to Illegal Aliens?

Eligibility to Apply for a Temporary Worker Nonimmigrant Status: Bush does not automatically legalize all the illegal aliens. It will just give an opportunity to apply for a certain nonimmigrant status which is similar to the current H-2A and H-2B Temporary Worker status. Under the current immigration, an alien who is an undocumented alien or in out-of-status is ineligible to apply for any nonimmigrant visa status in the United States. Bush plan will waive this ineligibility so that they can apply for such temporary worker nonimmigrant status even if they are so-called illegal aliens. Since the plan requires a rigorous labor market test, probably more rigorous than the current temporary labor certification application for H-2 (A,B,C) visa petitions, it may not be that easy.

Eligibility to Apply for Adjustment of Status to a Lawful Permanent Resident Status: Similar to 245(i) Benefit: Currently, those who are out-of-status or illegal aliens, including the border crossers, are not eligible to apply for a permanent resident status, even if they are otherwise eligible through family petitions or employment petitions or immigration lotteries, unless they are eligible to apply for 245(i) benefits. At this time, 245(i) benefit provision sunset on April 30, 2001 and no such benefit is available unless the eligibility was established on or before April 30, 2001. The Bush plan will give a waiver of ineligibility of adjustment of status which is analogous to 245(i) benefit once the alien completes the three-year temporary employment without violations. This will be a tremendous benefit to the eligible temporary workers under the Bush plan.

Waiver of 3-Year Bar or 10-Year Bar for Immigrant Visa Applications: Under the current law, those aliens who accumulate the unauthorized status from 6 months to 1 year are ineligible to return to the U.S. either on nonimmigrant status or immigrant status for 3 years. If the unauthorized status reach 1 year and the alien departs from the U.S., such illegal alien is unable to return to the U.S. for 10 years. The Bush plan will waive such inadmissibility to the United States, should the illegal aliens apply for a nonimmigrant or immigrant visa at the American Consulate in his/her home country after completing the temporary work under the Bush plan for 3 years. This will be a huge benefit which was not available to even 245(i) beneficiaries in the past. Currently, the 245(i) beneficiary is unable to return to the U.S., if they are subject to the 3-year bar or 10-year bar, no matter whether they have an advance parole. Accordingly, these people were unable to travel outside of the U.S.

Waiver of Other Inadmissibilities Related to Entry Without Inspections (EWI): Certain EWIs are subject to 5-year, 10-year, 20-year, or permanent bar under the current law, should they fall under the certain provisions of the immigration statutes. Bush plan may in all likelihood waive some of such bar to return to the U.S.

Foregoing Benefits Extended to Accompanying or Following-To-Join Immediate Family Members (Spouses and Children under 21 Years): According to the Bush plan, once the foregoing benefits are attached to the principal illegal aliens, just like the 245(i) provisions, same benefits will be extended to the dependent immediate relatives. Good deal!
Caveat: Bush plan does not provide waiver of any other ineligibility or inadmissibility. If such alien is deportable or inadmissible for committing a crime or fraud or other acts of deportability or inadmissibility other than illegal entry to the U.S. or overstay in the U.S., such aliens may not be eligible not only for the Bush plan temporary worker eligibility but also for waiver of the inadmissibility.
Caveat: Once the illegal aliens come out of the closet, such aliens may be vurnerable to enforcement actions unless the Bush plan is translated into a special provision in the legislation by the Congress that such information cannot be used by the DHS to initiate an enforcement action. For instance, if the temporary worker application is denied, the alien should return to the illegal alien status and subject to deportation unless such legislation is enacted. Besides, the illegal aliens can be arrested and deported until such temporary worker application is filed. For the Bush plan to work, it is extremely important that the legislation incorporate the kind of provision in the 1986 amnesty legislation which shielded the applicants from enforcement action based on the information provided in the process of application for a temporary worker status. The 1986 law had a provision punishing the immigration officials who disclosed such information to other immigration officials in the enforcement units. VERY, VERY IMPORTANT.

source: http://www.immigration-law.com/

immig policy is valueless
no plan for future law
no definite time limit on implementation

deflection from current problems like
lack of jobs in economy. talk of Man on Mars
boy get Man on Earth a job

Need law on Case Time Limits.

Justice delayed is justice denied
california labor cases need to file class action suit
and get support from arnold schwarznegger

Update.....

Bi-Partisan Illegal Alien Amnesty Bill Introduced in the Senate

Report indicates that Democrat Senator Daschle and Republican Senator Hagel introduced today a bi-partisan Immigration Reform Act of 2004 which counters the Bush proposal. Bush proposal provided legalization of certain illegal aliens as a "temporary worker" but did not provide for granting a lawful permanent resident status, while this bi-partisan Senate bill provides for granting permanent resident status to certain illegal aliens. The details and full text of the bill have yet to be made available, but the news report indicates that the legislative bill incoporates two important components, among others:

a) Adjustment of Status to a Permanent Resident for Certain Illegal Aliens: The conditions are reported as follows:
-Must have lived in the U.S. 5 years or longer at the time of enactment of the legislation.
-Must have worked in the U.S. for 5 years, including minimum 4 years before the passage of the legislation and 1 year after the legislative bill is enacted into a law.
-Must pass English and American Civics test similar to the current naturalization process.
-Must pay $1000 fine.

b) NewTemporary Workers of 350,000.

According to the Senators, the timeline for passage of this legislation is likely after the national election in November, 2004.

For the full text of the report, please click here.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A36724-2004Jan21.html?nav=hptoc_p

it says in section a) : Certain Illegal Aliens, so I doubt if they will include our cases in the bill, which does not make sense :(

I thought something like that would happen.

So, with all due respect to (and thanks if it ever passes) Democrats, why the $1000 fine? I mean, it could be a fee, but why a fine? Some of us will have worked for 5 years on legal bases, darn it! Why the FINE?

Originally posted by ahalem
it says in section a) : Certain Illegal Aliens, so I doubt if they will include our cases in the bill, which does not make sense :(

Even if they don't, it still works for us :), ironically. Consider this, you quit your job and ask for your H1/L1 to be terminated. Then wait for 10 days and apply under this new rule. Now you meet ALL the requirements :)

- I would not worry about the fine of $1000 to get a green card, I think its worth it.
- What does not make sense is the bill, how does not provide the same chance to legal H1B / L1 workers in USA, The bill requirement is to work illegally for 1 year after the legislative bill is enacted into a law, so even if one quit his job and request to terminate his H1B / L1 that would not help until he/she sale hotdog for another year :) , may be he/she can sale it online.