• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Pregnant and going for interview

Ice Queen

Registered Users (C)
Hello All,
Just found out that I am pregnant and wanted to find out if being pregnant negatively affects the granting of an immigrant visa? Has anyone been denied a green card while pregnant?

Also, if I calculate my due date it works out to end of June which means I cannot fly out after April as airlines can deny boarding if you are over 32 weeks. So that means we would only have 4 months to pack up and arrange moving etc. Not enough time and with being pregnant it would just be so difficult to manage everything before we land. Do you think it would be better to go in Feb/Mar 2012 to activate the green card and then go back in Aug/Sep 2012 after the baby is born? How will this affect the status of the newborn? Will the baby get a green card?

If we choose to go in April, how do I get health insurance. I have googled info on health insurance and most will not accept any pre-existing conditions with maternity cover only effective after a 9 to 12 month waiting period. How do so many people go to the US to have a baby when it is clearly so expensive. C-Section births can go up to $50k. How do you answer a question by the CP about not being a public charge if you would want to apply for Medicaid?

Can anyone help with my queries? Getting quite stressed out now.

They will not deny you because you are expecting although they may expect a higher income from your sponsor. You could come activate your GC and return to deliver at home. You child then needs a green card of their own. The other option is to deliver in the US. Beware that many US doctors schedule you for a C section to make the baby work into their schedule. You don't need to put you and the baby through that. Most things in the US are done by a payment plan. Speak to the local hospital and see what they will do, the same with the doctor. If you give birth in the US your child is a USC. This means the child IS eligible for benefits without negatively impacting your status. The child can get medical and other benefits. If also means the child can get a US passport .

Sounds good. I really do hope that being pregnant does not affect the outcome. Unfortunately, I already had 1 c-section so chances are slim to have a natural birth and I have seen that bills can go up to even 100k. We don't have a sponsor in US and would have to show funds in our accounts. Hopefully it would be enough for the granting of the visa. I have read up info on travel.state.gov site and we do have the option of having the baby at home and being able to travel to US without any visa for the newborn within 6 months. I would rather go that route instead of having to spend all our savings on delivery in US. But what I don't understand is how women just go into US on a B visa and then give birth and go back home. Can they all afford to do this?

Google VBAC my daughter had 2 c sections and had the last child normally. Which ever you choose good luck with it all and hope you have a healthy baby

pregnant

Sounds good. I really do hope that being pregnant does not affect the outcome. Unfortunately, I already had 1 c-section so chances are slim to have a natural birth and I have seen that bills can go up to even 100k. We don't have a sponsor in US and would have to show funds in our accounts. Hopefully it would be enough for the granting of the visa. I have read up info on travel.state.gov site and we do have the option of having the baby at home and being able to travel to US without any visa for the newborn within 6 months. I would rather go that route instead of having to spend all our savings on delivery in US. But what I don't understand is how women just go into US on a B visa and then give birth and go back home. Can they all afford to do this?

Most doctors will tell you that if you had a C-section you will will need the next baby the same way.

No insurance company will cover the birth/delivery of a baby if you already are pregnant. You will have to pay it for your self. Which cost a minimum of $ 10K and that is a low amount.

If the baby is born after you were approved of the GC you will need to wait until you are a citizen to be able to sponsor your child, and if the baby is born over here than it is an Anchor baby and a US citizen.

You either must have a lot of money available, just in case you want it to be born over here, or wait and travel later...
Things happen for a reason and getting a baby is such a wonderful happening so don't worry, everything will be okay, either way.

Most doctors will tell you that if you had a C-section you will will need the next baby the same way.

No insurance company will cover the birth/delivery of a baby if you already are pregnant. You will have to pay it for your self. Which cost a minimum of $ 10K and that is a low amount.

If the baby is born after you were approved of the GC you will need to wait until you are a citizen to be able to sponsor your child, and if the baby is born over here than it is an Anchor baby and a US citizen.

You either must have a lot of money available, just in case you want it to be born over here, or wait and travel later...
Things happen for a reason and getting a baby is such a wonderful happening so don't worry, everything will be okay, either way.

Thanks. I have done loads of research online and we have decided that IF our interview is successful, we will plan a trip to US in Feb/Mar so as to activate the green card and then come back home to deliver the baby. When baby is around 6-8 weeks, we can permanently move. I understand that we do not have to apply for a visa for the baby and once we get to our POE, they will update their systems and apply for a green card for the little one. Sounds good in theory but we will see how things pan out in the next few months.

Thanks. I have done loads of research online and we have decided that IF our interview is successful, we will plan a trip to US in Feb/Mar so as to activate the green card and then come back home to deliver the baby. When baby is around 6-8 weeks, we can permanently move. I understand that we do not have to apply for a visa for the baby and once we get to our POE, they will update their systems and apply for a green card for the little one. Sounds good in theory but we will see how things pan out in the next few months.

Ice,

My wife and I went through this process last year. She was 3-4 months pregnant at the time of the interview; expecting doesn't have any impact on the process in our experience. You're medical requirements however will mostlikely be slightly different, ie: you may not have to do certain vacinations or have a chest exray until after the birth.

After a successful interview, my wife and I did an activation trip to ensure our green cards were activated within the 6 months as required and returned to our current place of residence shortly after to have our first child. Partially to reduce our stress during this time, and also because of the expensive nature of the US health system for those who currently don't have health insurance. (You usually won't get this until you have been in your job for a certain amount of time).

As we didn't have our little one in the US, he needed a GC also; however there is a definate process in place to deal with these kinds of circustances. In short, as long as your child accompanies you on first trip back to the US and is under 2 years old at the time they will process them right their at the POE (this is generalised, i reccomend you do your own research also). At the time you need to ensure you have all required documentation and some US Visa style photo's of the little one for their GC.

You're biggest hurdle could be the airlines themselves, as when we tried to go back to the US with our little one, they're weren't going to let us on the place because in their eyes the little one didn't have a visa, and they weren't aware of the Department of HS process in this regard. It was a little scary at that point, as we weren't sure if we took him over on the standard tourist visa he could switch; if he couldn't he wouldn't be able to get his GC as it would nolonger be his first trip to the US the next time.

Moral of the story, know the process cause you will mostlikely have to educate the airlines themselve (ours had to ring Department of Homeland Security) after our insisting.
Also, when you get to the POE those processing your little ones GC will probably be unsure so it will take a bit longer also; this was the case with us, as they explained this process doesn't really happen very much.

Overall, if you have everything you need on hand and you are familiar with the process you should be absolutely fine. We were, it really wasn't that hard at all.

AJK

Last edited by a moderator:
Ice,

My wife and I went through this process last year. She was 3-4 months pregnant at the time of the interview; expecting doesn't have any impact on the process in our experience. You're medical requirements however will mostlikely be slightly different, ie: you may not have to do certain vacinations or have a chest exray until after the birth.

After a successful interview, my wife and I did an activation trip to ensure our green cards were activated within the 6 months as required and returned to our current place of residence shortly after to have our first child. Partially to reduce our stress during this time, and also because of the expensive nature of the US health system for those who currently don't have health insurance. (You usually won't get this until you have been in your job for a certain amount of time).

As we didn't have our little one in the US, he needed a GC also; however there is a definate process in place to deal with these kinds of circustances. In short, as long as your child accompanies you on first trip back to the US and is under 2 years old at the time they will process them right their at the POE (this is generalised, i reccomend you do your own research also). At the time you need to ensure you have all required documentation and some US Visa style photo's of the little one for their GC.

You're biggest hurdle could be the airlines themselves, as when we tried to go back to the US with our little one, they're weren't going to let us on the place because in their eyes the little one didn't have a visa, and they weren't aware of the Department of HS process in this regard. It was a little scary at that point, as we weren't sure if we took him over on the standard tourist visa he could switch; if he couldn't he wouldn't be able to get his GC as it would nolonger be his first trip to the US the next time.

Moral of the story, know the process cause you will mostlikely have to educate the airlines themselve (ours had to ring Department of Homeland Security) after our insisting.
Also, when you get to the POE those processing your little ones GC will probably be unsure so it will take a bit longer also; this was the case with us, as they explained this process doesn't really happen very much.

Overall, if you have everything you need on hand and you are familiar with the process you should be absolutely fine. We were, it really wasn't that hard at all.

AJK

Hi AJK,

Thank you for the above explanation. Its real life stories like these that are comforting for someone going through the same thing. I have seen the info about not requiring a visa for the LO and have already saved for printing out later on. I figured that we should be armed with as much printed info as possible (from official sources) so that it would make the process easier (more so if we flying out from Dubai as most employees here are like robots). Airlines are reluctant to allow a person without a visa to board as they would be fined if the immigration office lays a complaint.

Like yourself, we have also decided that it would be best to have the baby at home due to the unforeseen costs in US. Unfortunately my husband's insurance does not cover maternity so I am stuck either way but its still much cheaper to have the baby in Dubai. I won't be able to find insurance cover for SA either. Babies... expensive business indeed! :)

When you finally landed in to the US, how did you go about with the balance of the medical requirements for your wife? Was she called in or did she just have to go to any medical center to complete vaccinations and the x-rays? Was her green card granted with conditions attached?

Did you have to pay processing fees for the bubs green card when you landed with him/her and how much was it?

Once again, thanks for the above. It certainly does put me at ease.

Dear friends

My wife won dv lottery and we are scheduled for interview on 05-jan.But her due date is 20-jan.How will it work out for little one?Please give me some ideas.

Talk to the officer at your interview but basically, once the baby is born get birth certificate and passport for it, and it will be processed for a green card with you when you arrive with your visas. You may want to get what is called a “transportation letter” from the embassy so that the baby is allowed to board the plane.

Talk to the officer at your interview but basically, once the baby is born get birth certificate and passport for it, and it will be processed for a green card with you when you arrive with your visas. You may want to get what is called a “transportation letter” from the embassy so that the baby is allowed to board the plane.
Thanks for your kind response.How do i get more info on "transportation letter"?