PR in UK, now US citizen - how to keep PR

insead00

Registered Users (C)
I'm a long time denizen of the US Immigration site and I was hoping the UK guys would be as helpful if not more.

I have PR status in the UK due to my parents living there when I was a kid. I've kept this PR current by going to the UK every 2years or less for the last 20 years. In some cases while transiting through LHR I entered the Uk and went right back in just to satisfy the 2yr rule. My last entry was 1 month ago as an Indian citizen with a PR stamp.

Last week I finally got my US citizenship. I have to go back to the UK on business next month. I would like to keep my British PR.

So my questions are:
a) Do I enter on a US passport as a regular visitor (no visa reqd) or do I show my old Pr stamp (in canceled India passport) and attempt to enter as a PR with my US passport ?

b) Can I get a new PR stamp in my US passport at LHR or do I have to go the home office in Croydon ?

c) If I go to the home office in Croydon what are my chances of them saying you have not been living here (which I have not) and so you are not a PR and canceling the PR or would they just issue a new stamp in the US passport ? I have a 25 year old UK bank account and can prove I own a house through my parents.

Worst case I am ok with losing UK PR but would prefer not to as retirement in the UK is a lot more safe (in terms of health coverage and social benefits) than in the US.

So gurus, please help a newbie to this forum.

"Indefinite leave to remain" is granted to an individual, not to his or her citizenship. Thus I see no issue in the Home Officer moving that status stamp from your now defunt Indian passport to your current US one. Upon entry you can show both passports at passport control. Who knows, perhaps the inspector may transfer the stamp onto your US passport.
As far as I know(and I may be wrong), the only condition to maintain that status is to visit the UK once every 24 months. Since you have been doing that, I see no reason for you to lose that status.

My last entry was 1 month ago as an Indian citizen with a PR stamp.

Last week I finally got my US citizenship. I have to go back to the UK on business next month. I would like to keep my British PR.

Insead00, I have a question for you regarding the US citizenship: did you have any problems during the US naturalization process due to the fact that technically you were resident of the UK as well? I have similar situation and I'm a little bit nervous about my US naturalization process. Thank you!