Postponing the OATH

KT123

Registered Users (C)
My interview is scheduled for the 3rd of May which is a Saturday. In Baltimore they normally have a same day oath but not on Saturday. I am leaving for India on the 13th. Can I request them to postpone the oath?
If So, do I have to take the oath in certain number of days?

My interview is scheduled for the 3rd of May which is a Saturday. In Baltimore they normally have a same day oath but not on Saturday. I am leaving for India on the 13th. Can I request them to postpone the oath?
Sure you can postpone it as long as you have someone checking your mailbox for the oath letter while you're away.

Thank you Bobsmyth.

I heard that I have to take the oath within 30 days of the final interview. I cannot postpone it beyond that. Is that correct?

Thank you Bobsmyth.

I heard that I have to take the oath within 30 days of the final interview. I cannot postpone it beyond that. Is that correct?

I don't see why you couldn't postpone it longer than 30 days since oath dates are booked weeks in advance..perhaps you have up to 30 days after your initial oath to postpone it, meaning that if you don't show up at oath you have 30 days to notify them to reschedule the oath.

Hi KT123 -

Instead of starting with the postponement of your oath, why don't you lead with "Can you squeeze me in an oath ceremony for next week?"? This way, if the IO agrees, you can take your oath that next week, and then drive down to DC for an expedited same-day issuance of your US Passport. And if they can't schedule you in for an oath the week of May 5th, then you can ask them to push it back until after your trip in India.

You should also schedule an appointment at the DC Passport Agency for either Friday May 9th or Monday May 12th. And if they can't give you an early oath, then you can cancel the appointment - if not, well you get to travel with your new US Passport! Below is the information on the DC passport agency.

* WASHINGTON Passport Agency
1111 19th Street, N.W.
First Floor, Sidewalk Level
Washington, D.C. 20036

Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m., local time, M-F, excluding Federal holidays
Automated Appointment Number: 1 (877) 487-2778

NOTE: Washington Passport Agency serves customers who are traveling within 2 weeks (14 days), or who need foreign visas for travel. An appointment is required.

There is no such rule as taking oath within 30 days. My cousin in Dallas, postponed just a week before oath and retook it after a couple of months. As Dallas oaths are pretty much held everyday, they are very flexible in adapting to your dates. Not sure how Baltimore office works.

30 days? Nope, no such rule. Actually you'll probably find, that unless you are scheduled immediately for an oath, you often have to wait 30 days or more for the appointment to arrive.

Be aware that rescheduling an oath can cost you 3-4 months worth of delays. Its not recommended, unless you have a real good reason (and a vacation or business trip doesn't really count).

KT -

Actually, I have my interview on the same day as yours in Baltimore!! and I'm in the EXACT same position as you. I have to travel abroad within 2 weeks after our interview.

I recently spoke to someone who did her interview two saturdays ago on April 5th in Baltimore, and she told me that right after the interview, they send you to a room to wait to have your oath ceremony scheduled. So after your interview, the folks in Baltimore automatically schedule your oath and you can decide when you want to take it. In your case, since you're traveling so close to the interview date, I would probably try to snag the next available oath date. But (this person) also told me that another person who was at the interview with her postponed his oath ceremony in Baltimore by a month or so because he was traveling. So really, I think it's at your convenience to decide when you want to have your oath.

I share your pain in not having an oath ceremony on Saturday. I was so bummed out about it. Apparently some other district offices actually do have saturday oath ceremonies. Baltimore doesn't, which is remarkable because they've been processing applications pretty fast. My PD was Nov 29, and I still got an interview on May 3.

So lets keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best! What time is your interview? Mine is at 8:30am.

Hi KT123 -

Instead of starting with the postponement of your oath, why don't you lead with "Can you squeeze me in an oath ceremony for next week?"? This way, if the IO agrees, you can take your oath that next week, and then drive down to DC for an expedited same-day issuance of your US Passport. And if they can't schedule you in for an oath the week of May 5th, then you can ask them to push it back until after your trip in India.

You should also schedule an appointment at the DC Passport Agency for either Friday May 9th or Monday May 12th. And if they can't give you an early oath, then you can cancel the appointment - if not, well you get to travel with your new US Passport! Below is the information on the DC passport agency.

* WASHINGTON Passport Agency
1111 19th Street, N.W.
First Floor, Sidewalk Level
Washington, D.C. 20036

Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m., local time, M-F, excluding Federal holidays
Automated Appointment Number: 1 (877) 487-2778

NOTE: Washington Passport Agency serves customers who are traveling within 2 weeks (14 days), or who need foreign visas for travel. An appointment is required.

I'm in the same situation, have to travel as soon as I take the oath, can you actually get a new passport the same day in Washington DC? Thanks!

I'm in the same situation, have to travel as soon as I take the oath, can you actually get a new passport the same day in Washington DC? Thanks!

Yes you can, but I believe you have to schedule the appointment at the passport office in advance, and have proof of imminent travel.