Possibilities for H4 Visa to convert to other status

lalitarj

Registered Users (C)
I worked with comany A for 5.5 years
Currently on H4 visa for 1.2 years.

A) Can I apply for an L1 with any new comany?

B) Can I travel on a B1 with the new company and then convert to an L1 status after a year?

C) I already had a H1 visa, which got cancelled as I applied for a H4 earlier.
I had used only 4 months of my total 6 year time (Recived 1st H1 till 2003 and extension till 2006). If I apply for a new H1 will that be subjected to the cap or does the fact that I had a previous H1 hold any value?

Any response will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
I worked with company A under a H1 status and yes they have a base in India and US.
However, can I apply for an L1 with a new company B who has a base in the US and India, or should I have worked with company B also for 1 year in order to qualify for an L1? - Does me having 5.5 years of work experience with company A count towards applying for an L1 through company B?

Last edited by a moderator:
To be qualified to L1, you should have worked for the foreign entity of L1 sponsor for at least 1 year.
L1 + H1 period can not exceed 6 years in general unless you stayed out of the US more than a year.

To be qualified to L1, you should have worked for the foreign entity of L1 sponsor for at least 1 year.
L1 + H1 period can not exceed 6 years in general unless you stayed out of the US more than a year.

Hi,

What do you mean by "foreign entity of L1 sponsor"? Can you pls elaborate that part.

For example : This foreign entity should it be in India or US and where L1 sponsor should be based?

Thanks
Anu

Hi,

What do you mean by "foreign entity of L1 sponsor"? Can you pls elaborate that part.

For example : This foreign entity should it be in India or US and where L1 sponsor should be based?

Thanks
Anu

Should have worked outside US for 1 yr with the same entity.

In order to qualify for 1 year of eligibility, Can one travel on a B1 with the new company and then convert to an L1 status after 1 year is over?

In order to qualify for 1 year of eligibility, Can one travel on a B1 with the new company and then convert to an L1 status after 1 year is over?
YOu are required to work OUTSIDE THE US for affiliates(located abroad) of L1 sponsor for more than a year.