port of entry with petty theft record

courage2007

I had an arrest record 7 years ago for shoplifting. The judge ordered me to complete an education school and then acquitted me.

I just got my green card application approved. I disclosed my arrest record in application and interview with USCIS.

My question is, now even though I have green card, will my past retail theft record still make me inadmissible at the port of entry? I am planning to visit my family overseas.

At the entry port, if USCIS decides that I am inadmissible, will they just throw me out at the airport or I still have the right hire an attorney?

If you know the answer or had similar experience, please help!

I am worried that at the port of entry, they will deny my entry because of my past shoplifting record.

Please share your experience and advice. Thanks!

I did some google search and found out that even after green card approved, for certain criminal record, you can still be detained at the port of entry. I am confused also. I disclosed this during my 485 interview.

I just replied your private message. anyway, everyone's case is different. I had the same question as you do. Do not worry about what you read, half the time you don't get the full picture of the really backgroud of the person and the case. I was told by my lawyer that officer who approves GC looking at each case in a slightly different view from the POE officer. As long as you are not a citizen, everytime you go through POE, you are asking for admission. I was told in the worst case, if the POE officer found the GC holder inadmissible, the person can be detained. Anyway, I am no lawyer, please do check with one.

I am worried that at the port of entry, they will deny my entry because of my past shoplifting record.

Again, even if you are criminally inadmissible, if you are returning after less than six months it doesn't make a difference, since you are not seeking admission.