Please Share Your Experience

solovei

Registered Users (C)
Please Share Your Experience - What was your wait time and the outcome result?

We had an asylum interview in Rosedale NY office @ the beginning of June. After my lawyer called the officer conducting the interview last week to check on the status, she told him that she is awaiting the background check results. She also sent us the following letter:

U.S. Department of Home Land Security
NY Asylum Office

Dear Mr.XXXXX
Re: A#XXXXXX and A#XXXXXX

At present, all securitiy clearances for the above named applicant have not been completed. We will contact you as soon as all the necessary background verifications are confirmed for final processing of the application pending through our office.

If there are any further questions please contact our office. Kindly adress all correspondence to the officer named above.

Thank you,
XXXXXX
for XXXX, Director

:confused: Does that mean she has approved the case :D , and just waiting for security clearance? :cool: (Why would she wait for it if she would want to deny the case?) :confused: On the other hand, why didn't she issue recommended approval? :confused:
How long could this background search take for somebody in valid status ?
What do you think?
Thank you very much.

Last edited by a moderator:
solovei said:
We had an asylum interview in Rosedale NY office @ the beginning of June. After my lawyer called the officer conducting the interview last week to check on the status, she told him that she is awaiting the background check results. She also sent us the following letter:

NY Asylum Office

Dear Mr.XXXXX

At present, all securitiy clearances for the above named applicant have not been completed. We will contact you as soon as all the necessary background verifications are confirmed for final processing of the application pending through our office.

If there are any further questions please contact our office. Kindly adress all correspondence to the officer named above.

Thank you,
XXXXXX
for XXXX, Director

Does that mean she has approved the case, and just waiting for security clearance?(Why would she wait for it if she would want to deny the case?)
How long could this background search take?
What do you think?
Thank you.

I believe you are approved at first place. If it is denying, she does not need to back ground check for you.

asluser said:
I believe you are approved at first place. If it is denying, she does not need to back ground check for you.

Yes I am agree with you asluser. In my case I had to go to pick up my decision and the day I went there they told me we will send you decision by mail and than I got recomonded approval by mail.
Good luck solovei

Background check

Aren't they suppose to do the backgtround check before making any decision?

clearefication

hampton8844 said:
Let me ask you this. What is your status at this time? It has not expired, right?

Both I and my wife are in the current F-1 (student) status. Mine expires in October, but I'm going to extend it. Does it make a difference if a person is in status/out of status?
Seems like it - all out of status folks are getting a decision in 2 weeks, while those in status wait and wait and wait... Why is that?

Solovei, my aunt had asylum interview in 2003, got recommended approval in oct 2003 and her case was pending background check untill june 2005 when her case was denied (after recommended approval!!!). As we found out, 4-5 different asylum officers were successively assigned to her case (after the asylum officer who interview her was moved to another office) and the last one decided to conduct a "CONFIDENTIAL" background check through US consulate in her home country. After this investigation almost everybody (including authorities, neighbours, friends) in her home town knew that she came to the US and claimed for asylum and a lot of details about her application. It's a very long story, her family there is in a very bad situation, but in the result her case was denied.

Hhemc said:
Solovei, my aunt had asylum interview in 2003, got recommended approval in oct 2003 and her case was pending background check untill june 2005 when her case was denied (after recommended approval!!!). As we found out, 4-5 different asylum officers were successively assigned to her case (after the asylum officer who interview her was moved to another office) and the last one decided to conduct a "CONFIDENTIAL" background check through US consulate in her home country. After this investigation almost everybody (including authorities, neighbours, friends) in her home town knew that she came to the US and claimed for asylum and a lot of details about her application. It's a very long story, her family there is in a very bad situation, but in the result her case was denied.

I thought that info about asylum info was confidential!

Prepared by the USCIS Asylum Division
Date: June 3, 2005
Fact Sheet: Federal Regulations Protecting the Confidentiality of Asylum Applicants
Synopsis
The federal regulations at 8 CFR 208.6 generally prohibit the disclosure to third parties of information contained in or pertaining to asylum applications, credible fear determinations, and reasonable fear determinations—including information contained in RAPS or APSS1—except under certain limited circumstances. These regulations safeguard information that, if disclosed publicly, could subject the claimant to retaliatory measures by government authorities or non-state actors in the event that the claimant is repatriated, or endanger the security of the claimant’s family members who may still be residing in the country of origin. Moreover, public disclosure might, albeit in rare circumstances2, give rise to a plausible protection claim where one would not otherwise exist by bringing an otherwise ineligible claimant to the attention of the government authority or non-state actor against which the claimant has made allegations of mistreatment.
According to established guidance, confidentiality is breached when information contained in or pertaining to an asylum application (including information contained in RAPS or APSS) is disclosed to a third party in violation of the regulations, and the unauthorized disclosure is of a nature that allows the third party to link the identity of the applicant to: (1) the fact that the applicant has applied for asylum; (2) specific facts or allegations pertaining to the individual asylum claim contained in an asylum application; or (3) facts or allegations that are sufficient to give rise to a reasonable inference that the applicant has applied for asylum. The same principles generally govern the disclosure of information related to credible fear and reasonable fear determinations, as well as to applications for withholding or deferral of removal under Article 3 of the Convention Against Torture, which are encompassed within the asylum application.
In the absence of the asylum applicant’s written consent or the Secretary of Homeland Security’s3 specific authorization, disclosure may be made only to United States government officials or contractors and United States federal or state courts on a need to know basis related to certain administrative, law enforcement, and civil actions. In some instances, interagency arrangements have been established – such as the arrangement between the former INS and the FBI -- to facilitate the proper disclosure of asylum-related information to United States agencies pursuant to the regulations. The release of information relating to an asylum application,
1RAPS is the system for maintenance of records concerning aliens who affirmatively seek asylum by applying for the benefit with USCIS. APSS is the system for maintenance of records concerning aliens referred to a USCIS asylum officer for a credible fear or reasonable fear screening determination after having expressed a fear of return to the intended country of removal because of fear of persecution or torture during the expedited removal process under INA sec. 235(b) or administrative removal processes under INA sec. 238(b) or INA sec. 241(a)(5).
2 Public disclosure alone will rarely be sufficient to establish sur place protection claims under U.S. asylum laws. The applicant would have to establish, in light of this disclosure, that he or she has a well-founded fear of persecution on account of one of the protected grounds.
3By operation of section 1512(d) of the Homeland Security Act of 2002, Pub. L. 107-296, 116 Stat. 2135, 2310, the Attorney General’s authority under 8 C.F.R. § 208.6(a) to authorize disclosure of confidential asylum information held by the former Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS)—and now held by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS)—was transferred to the Secretary of DHS.
credible fear determination, or reasonable fear determination (including information contained in RAPS or APSS) to an official of another government or to any entity for purposes not specifically authorized by the regulations without the written consent of the claimant requires the express permission of the Secretary of Homeland Security.
Code of Federal Regulations, Title 8
Sec. 208.6 Disclosure to third parties.
(a) Information contained in or pertaining to any asylum application, records pertaining to any credible fear determination conducted pursuant to § 208.30, and records pertaining to any reasonable fear determination conducted pursuant to § 208.31, shall not be disclosed without the written consent of the applicant, except as permitted by this section or at the discretion of the Attorney General [now the Secretary of DHS].
(b) The confidentiality of other records kept by the [Immigration and Naturalization] Service [now DHS] and the Executive Office for Immigration Review that indicate that a specific alien has applied for asylum, received a credible fear or reasonable fear interview, or received a credible fear or reasonable fear review shall also be protected from disclosure. The Service [now DHS] will coordinate with the Department of State to ensure that the confidentiality of those records is maintained if they are transmitted to Department of State offices in other countries.
(c) This section shall not apply to any disclosure to:
(1) Any United States Government official or contractor having a need to examine information in connection with:
(i) The adjudication of asylum applications;
(ii) The consideration of a request for a credible fear or reasonable fear interview, or a credible fear or reasonable fear review;
(iii) The defense of any legal action arising from the adjudication of, or failure to adjudicate, the asylum application, or from a credible fear determination or reasonable fear determination under § 208.30 or § 208.31;
(iv) The defense of any legal action of which the asylum application, credible fear determination, or reasonable fear determination is a part; or
(v) Any United States Government investigation concerning any criminal or civil matter; or
(2) Any Federal, State, or local court in the United States considering any legal action:
(i) Arising from the adjudication of, or failure to adjudicate, the asylum application, or from a credible fear or reasonable fear determination under § 208.30 or § 208.31; or (ii) Arising from the proceedings of which the asylum application, credible fear determination, or reasonable fear determination is a part.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Why do the regulations protect asylum-related information from disclosure?
A: Public disclosure of asylum-related information may subject the claimant to retaliatory measures by government authorities or non-state actors in the event that the claimant is repatriated, or endanger the security of the claimant’s family members who may still be residing in the country of origin. Moreover, public disclosure might, albeit in rare circumstances (see footnote #2), give rise to a plausible protection claim where one would not otherwise exist by bringing an otherwise ineligible claimant to the attention of the government authority or non-state actor against which the claimant has made allegations of mistreatment.
Q:If you have any questions regarding these policies, please contact Ted Kim at 202.272.1615.

Hhemc said:

Well this is a bit unusual. I think your aunt needs to good lawyer to help her resurrect her application. Just do not give up and roll over.

solovei said:
Both I and my wife are in the current F-1 status. Mine expires in October, but I'm going to extend it. Does it make a difference if a person is in status/out of status?
Seems like it - all out of status folks are getting a decision in 2 weeks, while those in status wait and wait and wait... Why is that?

I am not sure what this means. Usually once they determine that they are going to grant you asylum on the merit but need time to check out your background they issue you a recommend asylum approval. With that letter you can obtain an Employment Authorization Document. You can work on the basis of your EAD until they either grant you final asylum or deny the case due the information received from the investigation.

To the other question, they work quickly on people without status because the vast majority of applicants are without status. In other words they are illegally in the country. The Government want to quickly dispose of these applications so that if they are without merit can be put into deportation proceedings. People like you who are in status are treated differently because they cannot put you into deportation proceedings. If they do no think you are eligible you will have a chance to rebut that before a final decision.

In Status VS. out of Status

When you are out of status you get denial in two weeks and referred to court.

When you are in status they wait for your status to expire then deny you and refer you to court

It is one of their tactics: they rather deny and refer people to court, less work for them. They are understaffed and that's the easy solution for them.

ssk259 said:
When you are out of status you get denial in two weeks and referred to court.

When you are in status they wait for your status to expire then deny you and refer you to court

It is one of their tactics: they rather deny and refer people to court, less work for them. They are understaffed and that's the easy solution for them.

-ssk259
Where did you get this information from?
Thank you.

From the intern at the law office that represented me but also from a few asylum applicants who were in status at the time of their application
The Lyndhurst office has been involved in many scandals in the past: Their office director was arrested in 2000 for accepting bribes from Albanian applicant.
Another investigation uncovered that the officer intentionaly failed to update the applicants' home address so that they would not receive appointment letters; the officers would then close the case claiming that the applicant abandoned their application.
These are just a few stories...

First of all it doesn't matter if you in status or out of status. All background check usually take 1 year and longer. It all depends from which country you are from and how much work load the USCIS and FBI has.

Your intial background check is done through the CIS which is done in the US. Your second background is done by FBI which will be done in their database domestic and Intl if all is good you should be fine.

Also once your Asylum is approved all your current status will be revoked. You can't hold 2 status.

I recommend you go to see a good lawyer, you should be careful on your case, specially in NY, in this forum, you can find many case based on asylum or marriage are delayed for a long time by so-called name checking after interview, then some of them were denied finally. you can go to the forum of greencard based on marriage in this website, there are some information about background checking. Good luck for you.

I thought there is a difference when they background check for asylum and for GC? Is it true that they have to make an asylum application decision within 6 months?
Thanks.

6 months

My background for asylum took exactly 6 months, I am not aware of anybody waiting longer than 6 months...
what I did during the last two months was call the asylum office to find out the status of my background, they were very polite and I even recieved a letter form the asylum office director explaining that it was gonna take a few weeks more to a response.
you should call and find out.

guacho said:
My background for asylum took exactly 6 months, I am not aware of anybody waiting longer than 6 months...
what I did during the last two months was call the asylum office to find out the status of my background, they were very polite and I even recieved a letter form the asylum office director explaining that it was gonna take a few weeks more to a response.
you should call and find out.

Did you receive recommended approval first, and got final approval after they have finished the background check or you didn't get any approval for 6 months?
Thank you.

solovei said:

NY Asylum Office

Dear Mr.XXXXX

Thank you,
XXXXXX
for XXXX, Director

:confused: Does that mean she has approved the case :D , and just waiting for security clearance? :cool: (Why would she wait for it if she would want to deny the case?) :confused: On the other hand, why didn't she issue recommended approval? :confused:
How long could this background search take for somebody in valid status ?
What do you think?
Thank you very much.
It is definitely goodnews .U should get your approval .I had background check right before asylum interview . I did FP code 2 (10 fingers).it took 2 month for them to clear.