Please help to check this

tiger22

Registered Users (C)
I applied my EAD on Feb. this year since the old one expired on May. When I did the final step on e-filing, my computer froze and I can't print out the page, but they already charged me and the INS staff said it's fine when I called. Here is the problem, after 3 month, they asked about the biometric information twice which I already did right after I file it. So now my old card is expried for a month and my employer ask me to bring the new card otherwise they said I should leave without pay. Can they do that? Is there anything I can show them? What should I do now? :confused: Also I called INS asking for temperory EAD card, but they said they can't issue me one because they do response to me and ask more information. :(

Thanks for this forum, I also applied for unrestricted SSN card on April in LA, but they said they have to contact related department to get the information because they don't know about this situation. It's been more than 7 weeks now, and didn't hear anything yet.

Please help with any informations

Don't panic,

This issue was already addressed in this forum. I asume that you are an asylee, if yes you do not need to renew your EAD card (before I found out, I had mine issued four times). First of all, get your unrestrected SS card. Second, go to your employer with that new social security card, your asylum aproval letter and a printout of the USCIS website that clearly states that asylees don't have to have EAD, because our political asylum status gives us the right to work in The United States. I will try my best to get you the link to that web page today, but with just a little research you can find it easily yourself. :)

Thank you very much

Thank you very much for your help, bonehead011. I printed out the two files just now.

But right now, since I didn't get any reply from SSN office and my EAD is expired, so do you think I can't work during this time?

You are welcome. Yes you can work, your legal PA status gives you the right to work. Bring those documents to your employer, the worst that can happen he\she might suspend you temporarily until you get your new SSC, because most of them have no idea what is Political Asylum, immigration rules, etc. If that don't work tell them to contact your local Immigration office.

tiger22 said:
Thank you very much for your help, bonehead011. I printed out the two files just now.

But right now, since I didn't get any reply from SSN office and my EAD is expired, so do you think I can't work during this time?
...If your employer insists ask him for a letter stating the request for ead and you can get a temp one from local cis center...

tiger22, let me advice you from nowhere but my personal experience. I had the same situation. One day suddenly my Manager showed up at my desk saying that HR called him and that my EAD has expired , so i am not authorized to work. He was so serious about it that he stood by desk and asked me to leave immediately and that i would be paid for the time of that month i worked. He assured me that once i get my EAD , i can join back. I was freaked out. But didn't loose my cool. I asked him , could you give me HR fax number & just 2 minutes, and will be right back from the fax machine.
I immediately printed the document from INS web site saying asylees are not required to show proof of Employement + my approved asylum letter and faxed it to HR.
Few minutes later my boss called me & said ; i just received a call from HR and everything is fine.
I smiled and said "OH that was a close one" and went back to work.
Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the help

Thanks very much, Asylee13, Samoel and honehead011, for your advise and kindness.
Asylee13, the document you showed to HR is the one that honehead100 posted on this thread?
Thanks again for the help, and I'll try to do all the possible method and keep updated.

Legally employer can not fire you because of EAD. Asylees do not need EAD. Even with old restricted SS card (number still will be the same).

Employers need to show file a FORM I-9 in their records and any letter from INS is not a proof of employment unless specified in FORM I-9.

You all have Unrestricted SSN CARD and a drivers license...so thats all you need which is in form I-9. Don't go on using other things to show your employment eligibility.

Actually I find it far more convenient to file the papers the old way: just mail the application with the fotos. I try to avoid "high-tech" stuff when it comes to USCIS. To this day I have filed paper apps and this way I do not have to schedule any fingerprint appointments nor do I risk the malfunction of CIS web site. I just send them a paper check. Works perfectly!

thanks everyone

Thank for the help and reply. I hope I can get my new SSN soon and avoid all the troubles.

Just share today's trip to local INS office. We all have to make an oppoinment through Infopass now, and I try to just walk-in since the earliest i got is two weeks later. The guard told me he couldn't let me in unless i have emergency, and he advise me to get letter from my employer. So I got the letter through fax then wait another one hour to talk to the supervisor in emergency window. The 'supervisor' don't even want to say more word, and just pointed the paper besides the window, saying check what's called emergency. So supposed to be life threatening or bad disease... :confused:

Everyone working in INS tell you different thing, so always ask for second oppoinion.
Thanks again, everyone