Please Help!!! - Potential Lay Off

greenhopeful

Registered Users (C)
Hi Folks,
   Please Help me here. My case was transferred to Baltimore on May 18th. I will most likely get laid off in 2 months time. Our company has a policy of 1 to 1.5 months severance pay. Worst case I could be laid off earlier.
My question is

1. Should I look for another company - have crossed 6 months.
 2. What will be the problem with going to a new company? I have heard people being approved but all the cases seem to be with AOS. Has Anybody transferred to Baltimore and changed jobs using the 6 month rule been approved?
 3. My company people are prepared to support me fully in any way they can. Would I be better off to wait it out since they will give me a letter saying they will hire me after the GC?
 4. What are the problems if one goes to an interview and does not have a paycheck but has the letter fromn the employer willing to hire once the GC is approved?

Details:
  PD : 09/99
  RD: 10/00
  ND: 11/00
  FP: 02/01
  TD: 05/18/01 (Transferred to Baltimore)

Thanks A Lot
GreenHopeful

No Title

Better get EAD and you can join any company as you have passed 180 days after filing 485. Good luck.

No Title

Hi Txflute,
   I have an EAD. What are the implications of joining another company. Will they be sponsoring my GC going forward? Should I be joining with the same or greater salary? Will it have to be the same position. I applied as EB-2 (sofware Engr). Should the company give me a letter with the same position?

No Title

greenhopeful
Do not worry , You are fine. you are still with the company. INS might interview you before your company lays you off.
Even it lays you off before your interview, just get employmentletter from them showing thier intent to hire you again after getting your GC approval.
Second option is that since you have crossed 180 days you can join another company on EAD and the job should be of same classification as on LC and the salary should be same or higher but it can be slightly lower than on LC.
So you have two options. Consult an attorey before taking any steps.
Send me a check of 2 cents.
-:)

No Title

Just take it easy. Nothing to worry about. The new regulations are out. After 180 of filing your I485, you are allowed to join another company. The new employer does not need to sponsor you for another GC i.e file I140. You can join with the same or greater salary. However, the position should remain the same or identical with the same set of duties. All you need (in case of an RFE) is a letter on company\'s stationery with your hire-date, title, duties & salary. Hope this helps!

No Title

Hi Winner2 and Philiantropist,
   Thank a lot for the reply. Makes me fell good. Did you say that the new hiring company need not apply for any paper work with INS? i.e. I140 OR ANYTHING ELSE? If so that is great. DO you know if there are any geographic concers? I am from MD - should I be looking for a job in the same location? Any other information is appreciated.
  Its great to have this board.

GreenHopeful

No Title

not sure about geo location pref etc..
as long as you work in similar job..its fine I guess...
you should not go and work in burger king... something like that..