Please Help: H1B renewal stamping cancels other valid H1B approvals?

adapa

Registered Users (C)
I currently work on H1B (exempt) which is valid till June 2009. in the first week of Feb 2007, I got it stamped from Mexico for the second term of my H1. I am planning to change my jobs (to shift from exempt to non-exempt). I have an H1B approval withe a start date in the second week of January, 2007from a consultancy company.

My question is, as I got the visa for my exempt H1B while I had one of both exempt and regular H1B approvals in my hand, can I go join the consultancy company any time? Some one told me that when I got my exempt renewed, my non-exempt H1b approval will be invalidated

If I cannot work on the H1B approval for the consultancy company do I need to go for stamping again with that non-exempt H1 approval to start working for the consultancy company.

What are my chances of getting visa for the non-exempt H1b as I recently got a visa for my University H1B (exempt H1B)?

Or is filing for new H1B in the Oct 2007 quota my only chance?

Thanks for your time and help,

I currently work on H1B (exempt) which is valid till June 2009. in the first week of Feb 2007, I got it stamped from Mexico for the second term of my H1. I am planning to change my jobs (to shift from exempt to non-exempt). I have an H1B approval withe a start date in the second week of January, 2007from a consultancy company.

My question is, as I got the visa for my exempt H1B while I had one of both exempt and regular H1B approvals in my hand, can I go join the consultancy company any time? Some one told me that when I got my exempt renewed, my non-exempt H1b approval will be invalidated

If I cannot work on the H1B approval for the consultancy company do I need to go for stamping again with that non-exempt H1 approval to start working for the consultancy company.

What are my chances of getting visa for the non-exempt H1b as I recently got a visa for my University H1B (exempt H1B)?

Or is filing for new H1B in the Oct 2007 quota my only chance?

Thanks for your time and help,

provide all H1 filing dates and validity of all H1 approvals

provide all H1 filing dates and validity of all H1 approvals

Exempt H1 was filed on June 19, 2006 valid from July 1, 2006 till June 30, 2009 (This is the visa I got stamped in recently the first week of February)

Non-exempt h1B (from the consultancy) was filed on July 20th 2006 (under US Higher education quota of extra 20,000) and the validity was from Jan 16, 2007 till June 30, 2009.

Thank you Ginnu!

Exempt H1 was filed on June 19, 2006 valid from July 1, 2006 till June 30, 2009 (This is the visa I got stamped in recently the first week of February)

Non-exempt h1B (from the consultancy) was filed on July 20th 2006 (under US Higher education quota of extra 20,000) and the validity was from Jan 16, 2007 till June 30, 2009.

Thank you Ginnu!

you can work with Non-exempt h1B (from the consultancy) if you have I-94 attached with your H1 approval notice

you can work with Non-exempt h1B (from the consultancy) if you have I-94 attached with your H1 approval notice

Thanks again Ginnu!

My current I-94 (white one) in my passport along with renewed visa till 2009 has the name of the university (my exempt H1B) I am currently working for. I haven't received the I-797 (with I-94 in the bottom...if that's what you meant) but they gave me the WAC# and forwarded me the approval email sent by USCIS. In what cases USCIS would not send I-94 along with I-797?

If my consultant received I-94 with I-797, can I switch my job from exempt to non-exempt without going for stamping with the non-exempt H1B approval.

Please pardon me if I am sounding novice. As this is the first time I am going out of academic world to the mysterious consultancy world, I am kind of skeptical of most of the issues. Please advise me on any other checkpoints I need to make sure before I make this move.

have a great day,

Thanks again Ginnu!

My current I-94 (white one) in my passport along with renewed visa till 2009 has the name of the university (my exempt H1B) I am currently working for. I haven't received the I-797 (with I-94 in the bottom...if that's what you meant) but they gave me the WAC# and forwarded me the approval email sent by USCIS. In what cases USCIS would not send I-94 along with I-797?

If my consultant received I-94 with I-797, can I switch my job from exempt to non-exempt without going for stamping with the non-exempt H1B approval.

Please pardon me if I am sounding novice. As this is the first time I am going out of academic world to the mysterious consultancy world, I am kind of skeptical of most of the issues. Please advise me on any other checkpoints I need to make sure before I make this move.

have a great day,
-----------------Yes