*** Please Help (from Rajiv) - Request from a Journalist ***

Rajiv S. Khanna

HOST, Immigration.Com
Staff member
Friends, I have received the following request for you all from a journalist who wishes to write about the repeat fingreprinting suffered by many. Please help him write a good story. Call me if you have any doubts or concerns. This is a good opportunity for you all to make a difference in unreasonable laws and procedures.

>>>>>

rajiv,

i'm after contact names and phone numbers for three or four people who have been called in at least twice for fingerprinting in the course of applying for change of status or naturalization. as we discussed, this is for a small story on the fact that fingerprints "expire" and have to be retaken, despite the recent addition of high technology machines and the takeover of the process by contractors.

if you happen to know anyone who runs or used to run a fingerprint service (i believe there were thousands of them not too long ago) i'd be most interested in speaking to them as well.

but my main thing is to find a few people willing to speak for the record about what they were thinking when they got that second (or third?) fingerprint notice.

thanks very much

cheers
barry

barry newman
wall street journal
212-416-4902
718-857-6888

barry.newman@wsj.com

that "journalist" just wants to screw with FBI.
Poor FBI is under political attack lately.
Don't mess with it.

ania said:
that "journalist" just wants to screw with FBI.
Poor FBI is under political attack lately.
Don't mess with it.

On the contrary, having such an article would reduce the caseload for the FBI. There is no reason for fingerprints to be re-taken when FBI has captured it digitally on file. It can simply run that FPs thru another backgorund check rather than have the applicant go thru the process again. No one benefits from the inefficient system they have now. The applicant loses precious time and FBI has extra work to do. This kind of journalism is necessary to help govt and its agencies reduce its inefficiency.

I can't understand what does "finger prints expired" mean. The finger prints
never expire (of course in most of the normal cases). Only the validity of
the check of the finger prints expires. So why not the fingers prints already available in the file can be rechecked (or at least resubmitted to FBI for check).

This reminds me a joke in India where a pensioner need to submit a certificate
of living (i.e. he is alive) every month to get his pension. Once a person
submitted the certificate for March. The clerk asked for a certificate for
February also because there is no proof that he is alive in February.

Of course last year's "Ig Nobel" prize for PEACE was awarded to Lal Bihari, of Uttar Pradesh, India, for a triple accomplishment:
- First, for leading an active life even though he has been declared legally dead;
- Second, for waging a lively posthumous campaign
against bureaucratic inertia and greedy relatives; and
- Third, for creating the Association of Dead People.
http://www.improb.com/ig/ig-pastwinners.html#ig2004