Please help!!! Dui

totosh

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
My friend is a green card holder, and she wants to apply for citizenship, but back in 2005 she was charged with a DUI (driving under the influence) (the alcohol level was exactly at the state's permitted level, but she still got that on her record).
Can that be ground for denying her citizenship application?
If so, what should she do?

Thank you so much for your help.

Nothing she can do but filing N-400 to see what happens.

She can choose to wait one more year to let DUI offense outside 5 year
statutory period

She should apply now. By the time they get to her file, this DUI will be outside of the 5 years. One DUI is not a big deal anyway if there's nothing else.
If she get's denied, she can reapply again. Nothing to lose here.

I am new here. But if I am not correct, if they deny your application, don't they get to keep your 675 dollars too?

Hi,
My friend is a green card holder, and she wants to apply for citizenship, but back in 2005 she was charged with a DUI (driving under the influence) (the alcohol level was exactly at the state's permitted level, but she still got that on her record).

Thank you so much for your help.

A simple DUI in itself is not grounds for denial. At the very least, she'll need to provide the court documents at the interview.

She should apply now. By the time they get to her file, this DUI will be outside of the 5 years. One DUI is not a big deal anyway if there's nothing else.
Even one DUI can have an effect depending on the exact charge (ex:aggravated DUI which is a CIMT vs simple DUI).

If she get's denied, she can reapply again. Nothing to lose here.
Nothing to loose except money.