Please guide me what to do now?

newport60

Registered Users (C)
We have applied long ago for OCI cards(SF).We have forth coming urgent family requirement back there-- trip to india in early in the 4th week of May.
Me and daughter received OCI cards/PPs long back and spouse OCI card pending.
For spouse,after repeated emails finally the card was received by SF today and they mentioned it is taking 15 Buisness days (means 3 weeks)to send back the PP and asking us to send PP.
Now what can we do?
Can my spouse eligible to apply for which Visa?
Entry or Tourist 5 year and can she get a visa when OCI card is lying around ?and also her Indian PPs are also lying with them and this is first time applying.
and can we get OCI card and stamped PPs once we submit when she comes back from india?
We are in dilemma.
Any suggestions Please?Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your best bet is to send ASAP her US passport and a written request to expedite OCI since you have a trip coming up shortly (enclose itinerary/e-ticket copy). A US citizen PIO applying for a Indian visa for the first time will need to attach original Indian passport for cancellation.

Thanks for the reply.
I am thinking going personally to SF office on Monday and explain the situation and if they say some thing positive I can give them PP. will they take USPP by hand?
If they say negative, can I ask them to give back her Indian PP at least so that we can get Visa?Is it possibe?
Any inputs will eb helpful.

We have applied long ago for OCI cards(SF).We have forth coming urgent family requirement back there-- trip to india in early in the 4th week of May.
Me and daughter received OCI cards/PPs long back and spouse OCI card pending.

---------------what was the reason Spouse OCI was pending? any reply they gave to you why the OCI was not printed? what status was showing BEFORE they gave OCI? if you post the info it will help others.
For spouse,after repeated emails finally the card was received by SF today and they mentioned it is taking 15 Buisness days (means 3 weeks)to send back the PP and asking us to send PP.
Now what can we do?
Can my spouse eligible to apply for which Visa?
--------------- I think your spouse can apply Visa but it will be better to Visit consulate and show the ticket booking for your spouse trip and they may give OCI. You should take letter from your Spouse.
Entry or Tourist 5 year and can she get a visa when OCI card is lying around ?and also her Indian PPs are also lying with them and this is first time applying.
---------------- for visa spouse need Indian passport explain to Consulate
and can we get OCI card and stamped PPs once we submit when she comes back from india?
------ Your spouse will need Indian passport and US passport to apply for Visa later you can collect OCI when in US
We are in dilemma.
----- FYI I know about 3 cases who applied OCI with Family of 4. Family members got OCI cards but Primary applicant OCI status shows GRANTED, Acknowedged, not SCANNED for 3 months. they sent emails and still no reply and no reason why the OCI cant be printed or if they need some other document.One of the person applied Visa and left for India.
Any suggestions Please?Thanks.
-----------------

Thanks for the reply.
I am thinking going personally to SF office on Monday and explain the situation and if they say some thing positive I can give them PP. will they take USPP by hand?
If they say negative, can I ask them to give back her Indian PP at least so that we can get Visa?Is it possibe?
Any inputs will eb helpful.
Take letter from your spouse with his/her signature.
Please update us after your visit to consulate.
Good Luck!!

-----------------
One question:
Will they issue an entry visa if OCI card already approved if applied ?will it be a problem?Ginnu please tell me your opinion on this issue.

For your Q,spouse was naturalizaed a bit later and hence applied OCI later.
But comparing to our processing times her processing took much much more time and though we planned and booked trips taking probable times carefully ,we are in issues now!

One question:
Will they issue an entry visa if OCI card already approved if applied ?will it be a problem?Ginnu please tell me your opinion on this issue.
-------------------Dear I dont know. They are changing the info. NYC changed the info that all OCI need to get Indian passport cancelled and fill up some other form and also pay 7000RUPEES. From where the person should bring Indian Rupees 7000 in USA? Why one can’t pay in USD? They are not clear. According to FEMA one cant bring more than 5000 India Rupees.
For your Q,spouse was naturalizaed a bit later and hence applied OCI later.
But comparing to our processing times her processing took much much more time and though we planned and booked trips taking probable times carefully ,we are in issues now!
-----------------

We had long swim in one ocean and some how came out and sat tired.
Now suprisingly with the Home turf ocean has become so turbulent to swim!.
Donno' what to say.

First NRI was called Non Resident Indian then It changed to Non Required Indian. When one visits India he/she says Nahin Rahunga Idhar.

I think basically though it is touted OCI is on par with NRIs I beleive it is not in many ways.
Real NRIs will have much much more than OCI we all know before.
Now it is renunciation(of course same for PIO etc)but issue comes how different this one for OCI as you are required to shell down a fee and sign a form like any other visitor visa etc.
Means already the things are coming down .
Who knows in future rule may change like---OCI can not work and inaddition need to take a work visa at hefty fees?Every entry with an entry fee?Things may change when govt. feels for example.
Business Visa changes were already in affect for example .

I think basically though it is touted OCI is on par with NRIs I beleive it is not in many ways.

... I do not think anyone said that. OCIs are supposed to be at par in Finance, but not otherwise.

Real NRIs will have much much more than OCI we all know before.

... Yes, because they still carry an Indian passport. Unless there is a true dual citizenship, this is not surprising.

Who knows in future rule may change like

... True. I think this is the pain point. We do not know what the rules will be tomorrow.

While the government may or may not be able to do a lot of PIO/OCIs, there should at least be some mission statement on where they are heading. Unfortunately, the PIO community is so small compared to the Resident Indian population that it will be hard for any political party to do announce something publicly. Only option then is lobbying (bribing) all parties equally well so that they buy in to the PIO/OCI rights and do not make it an election issue. I do not know what is the end point, but with India's GDP growing at its current pace and its trade with the developed countries increasing, there will be more and more people who want require such rights, and thus able to sponsor the politicians to get true dual citizenship. I think this to be more mainstream only in a couple of decades, if at all.

Just posting update if it helps to some one:
Basic rule followed:There is no personal or tel. interaction possible with OCI as mentioned in their site and policy.This will be repatedly informed later too.
Now:We had to further prepone our joureny because of further requirement back home.
So went to SF with all docs. including confrmed paper tickets.
The guard is very curteous but could NOT allow inside because it is OCI issue even after explaining.
Then one officer came out on some other work and guard was helpful directing us to approach him if he can help.
We expalined to him and fortunately he is such a considerate officer and he was helpful in taking spouse and daughter(to help her) and directed to an official in the counter.I was asked to wait out consulate.
Now--inside some shouting started as to why OCI applicants perosnally allowed to come and the policy narration etc.
At that juncture my daughter in soft voice told the counter guy --it was urgency and we are not asking for pickup then and there and they can as well send by mai ASAP.
Then cooler prevailed and and spouse was told they try to send PP stamped same day.They kept up promise and PPs &OCI card arrived y'day.
Overall SF consulate is considerate and helpful but going there and getting them --normally I feel, not easy task ,not advisable too.