Please evaluate and give suggestions

NIW_help

Registered Users (C)
I am a recent lurker here.
Ph.D
6 paper (5 first 1 second author) peer reviewed
7th accepted
7-8 poster (5 of them abstracts published by ACS) so total 11 paper.
more than 100 citation.
paper 1 citation 50
paper 2 citation 37
paper 3 citation 27 (6-7 self citation)
paper 4 citation 12 (not first author)

5 citation in reference books (science of Synthesis, Protecting Group, Comprehensive functional group transformation etc)

9 reference letter (2 people cited my work, 3 postdoc mentor, 4 independent from US, India, Japan)

who's who

Listed in 3 grants as investigator. (not PI)
one of them is highly specialized NIC grant. ($10 mil)
working on cancer related studies.

For EB1-OR got the approval from univ.

I know the chances are not so bright. but not so low too for OR. as a back up I am filing NIW too, which in my opinion is a sure shot. Because my area of work is directly related to cure for cancer. if there were no retrogression I would have simply applied for NIW only.

what r the things I need to be more specific? do I need more reference letters?
I am planning to file in couple of weeks.
TIA for your help.

I think you have very strong qualifications... The number of citations you have is impressive. I think go for it.

my concern is I will b filing to NSC.
after seeing people like jerist, cd4help etc. getting RFE I am really very much concerned. because their CV is much stronger than mine.

I anticipate RFE. I will gather few more reference letters in couple of months. May be one or two from Europe.

Thanks for the giving me some hope. I am a pessimist when it comes to these type of things. (u know most of us r like that).

your case is good. EB1-EA will fly if you present properly.

Ph.D
7th accepted
more than 100 citation.
paper 1 citation 50
paper 2 citation 37

5 citation in reference books (science of Synthesis, Protecting Group, Comprehensive functional group transformation etc)

9 reference letter (2 people cited my work, 3 postdoc mentor, 4 independent from US, India, Japan)

who's who

I know the chances are not so bright. but not so low too for OR. as a back up I am filing NIW too, which in my opinion is a sure shot. Because my area of work is directly related to cure for cancer. if there were no retrogression I would have simply applied for NIW only.

TIA for your help.

EB1-OR is easier than NIW. But you can always go for both. Its only $500 more. And maybe even a EB1-EA just to round it off. Most of the text & letters will be similar. Its NSC's own god damn fault that everyone sends 2-3 petitions if they are so random about rejecting them.

NIW_help,

Your credentials are pretty good for both EB1-OR and NIW - you got some independent reco letters overseas (which is critical to EB1-OR, as it specifically requires international recognition) and impressive citation numbers (which help a lot in dealing with NIW). Just try to present your case effectively, then you will be fine. BTW, are you from retrogressed countries (China or India)? If yes, then NIW will not help you too much in terms of getting GC sooner, and it seems EB-1OR is processed at faster pace than NIW at the NSC. Good luck!

JerIst,

Don't worry - the actual word the USCIS use is "denial." :eek: As I said before, I really cannot see any reason why you won't get through this time, assuming your adjudicator is not on crack or something like that....

NIW_help,

Your credentials are pretty good for both EB1-OR and NIW - you got some independent reco letters overseas (which is critical to EB1-OR, as it specifically requires international recognition) and impressive citation numbers (which help a lot in dealing with NIW). Just try to present your case effectively, then you will be fine.
Thanks for your inputs.
BTW, are you from retrogressed countries (China or India)? If yes, then NIW will not help you too much in terms of getting GC sooner, and it seems EB-1OR is processed at faster pace than NIW at the NSC. Good luck!
yes I am from retrogressed countries. thats the reason I go for OR. otherwise I am fine with NIW.

One more question.
If my I140 is approved (hope????) then I will file for I485 with my family.

But in the mean time If I ever change my mind to apply for I485 only for me before I140 approval is it possible to file myself alone with out my family?
I mean I140 and I485 only for me and no I485 for family.

Yes, the USCIS doesn't really care if your dependents file as derivative beneficiaries or not. However, if you file alone, you may have to face consequences in the future, including possible separation, unless your family can maintain another valid status (e.g. H-1 for spouse + H-4 for kids)...

Yes, the USCIS doesn't really care if your dependents file as derivative beneficiaries or not. However, if you file alone, you may have to face consequences in the future, including possible separation, unless your family can maintain another valid status (e.g. H-1 for spouse + H-4 for kids)...
they have H-4 till end of next year (2009). I will also extend my H1 so that they remain on status. if I have to file everything together it costs a lot of money. thats the reason I thought if possible I want to file separately.

never welcome future problem. it will cost more time to solve with USCIS. if your I485 gets approved before you apply I 485 for your family then they will come under family based category, which is worse for retro country. apply together with family even it cost more money than time and problem.

they have H-4 till end of next year (2009). I will also extend my H1 so that they remain on status. if I have to file everything together it costs a lot of money. thats the reason I thought if possible I want to file separately.

The moment your I-485 is approved their H4 immediately becomes invalid and they have to leave the US and go for consular processing.

Ph.D
7th accepted
more than 100 citation.
paper 1 citation 50
paper 2 citation 37

who's who

TIA for your help.

Your chances are good for Eb1-OR based on your qualification but one thing which i might be missing is do you have permanent position. if yes, your record look good espcially looking at citations you are doing influcing research. I agree that you have only 6 independent letters (beleiving citers are independent). You may want to get few more. Also, depending upon your work try getting letters from industry & academic; national & international; editors and citers. Also, do you have memmership (invited societies).letters from postdoc supervisers will be enhancing your petition.

Your chances are good for Eb1-OR based on your qualification but one thing which i might be missing is do you have permanent position.
Yes. I do have a permanent position. That is the basis for OR.
if yes, your record look good espcially looking at citations you are doing influcing research.
my areas of work are different. The one I am presently working is entirely different from the one I already worked. My attorney is trying to bridge them together. I do not know how far we will be successful in that. In any case NIW will be more promising.
I agree that you have only 6 independent letters (beleiving citers are independent). You may want to get few more. Also, depending upon your work try getting letters from industry & academic; national & international; editors and citers.
Two of them are citers (Japan). one is from industry where I worked earlier. four of them are my post doc mentors (3 present 1 past). 3 of the other are independent (all from US). In all now I have 10. One more from Europe I am trying.
Also, do you have memership (invited societies).letters from postdoc supervisers will be enhancing your petition.
I have ACS membership. but that does not count.
However, my name is included in 2008 who's who. so I may add that as a small note.
One of my paper appeared in Heartcut section. So I will include that.

Last edited by a moderator: