Please advise - Based on my citizenship, how to apply GreenCard for my wife?

hlin4

Registered Users (C)
All,

Today, I got the email from USCIS saying that 'Your case has been transferred to a local office and an interview will be scheduled' (btw, I applied my N-400 around Oct/20th/2009), so I expect I will get my citizenship soon.

Meanwhile, I want to begin the documents preparation of GC application, based on my citizenship, for my wife. My wife is working in U.S with H-1B now.
Question 1:
1) Can I do that kind GC application by myself, just like what I did for N-400 application? If that's too complicated to do by myself, I will contact a lawyer.

2) Could you help me give me any link or info how to do that GC application based on citizenship?

Thank you very very much in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Question 1:
1) Can I do that kind GC application by myself, just like what I did for N-400 application? If that's too complicated to do by myself, I will contact a lawyer.

I see most people sponsor their parents on their own. In theory, procedures for spouses are no more complicated tan that. The only issue is that there are more fraudulent marriage than fraudulent parenthood/childhood so that
USCIS tend to scrutiny marriage very carefully. So lawyers can be helpful.
But you have two options: one is to hire a lawter from the start and let lawers file. The other option is to file yourself and hire a lawyer only when
it run into lengthy scrutiny.

All,

Today, I got the email from USCIS saying that 'Your case has been transferred to a local office and an interview will be scheduled' (btw, I applied my N-400 around Oct/20th/2009), so I expect I will get my citizenship soon.

Meanwhile, I want to begin the documents preparation of GC application, based on my citizenship, for my wife.

Question 1:

2) Could you help me give me any link or info how to do that GC application based on citizenship?

Thank you very very much in advance.

Is your wife in country or out of country? You can do all by yourself and don't need to worry about anything else. You need to file a I-130 first but if you tell us where your wife is, we will tell you the route to go.

Is your wife in country or out of country? You can do all by yourself and don't need to worry about anything else. You need to file a I-130 first but if you tell us where your wife is, we will tell you the route to go.

Thank you, all. My wife is working at U.S with H-1B now. So, could you give me more info to file GC application for her? Looks like that I can do it by myself.

Many Thanks.

Thank you, all. My wife is working at U.S with H-1B now. So, could you give me more info to file GC application for her? Looks like that I can do it by myself.

Many Thanks.

They are all here:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...toid=c67c7f9ded54d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-130.pdf

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-130instr.pdf

Once I-130 is approved, then go for I-485.

Your wife need to maintain her status at least up to the filing of I-485. If in the meantime your wife can do employment-based GC, let her do that parallel
to your sponsorship unless the cost is too heavy so she has more insurance about her own future (sorry to say this but bad things can happen in marriage
don't feel offended or jinxed if you don't think so or who cares about ex-spouse if the marriage really turn bad. Another truth is that teh sponsoring spouse
can not die before the GC is granted and you do not want your loved one stranded in that cse---again I am sorry if you think my such saying bring bad luck
but we prefer to have life insurances, right?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot, WBH. I will do prepration for I-130 first. And ask my wife to maintain her H-1B and good marriage with me :)

Thanks a lot, WBH. I will do prepration for I-130 first. And ask my wife to maintain her H-1B and good marriage with me :)

File I-130 once you are US citizen with copy of your marriage certificate +copy of nasalization certificate or US passport. Let her fill up her G325 (4 pages) she will also attach 1 Photograph and you fill up your G325 (4 pages) and attach your 1 photograph. pay the USCIS fee and then send the I-130 (note the address to send I-130 according to your State) Once you get I-130 filing receipt then file her I-485, EAD AP with I-130 receipt.