Planning for Hunger Strike at Vermont....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sumanta

Registered Users (C)
I am planning to take 5-7 days of leave for a solo ( meaning I am not asking for anyone else to join in ) hunger-strike till the last breath.

For those of you who think it borders on the insane, plzz move on, you
don't need to read further on.

All I need to know is whether any of you know the address of the
office where the person heading VSC sits. Not sure if its the commissioner
or the director or whatever they call it.

My intent is :

1) Highlight the plight of legal immigrants ( when almost everybody today
screams how one should try the legal route vs the illegal route )

2) Highlight how highly skilled educated professionals are getting treated
at the hands of an unscrupulous bureaucracy.

The plan is to either get to talk to the person and get a promise of
immediate addressal or else go without food right at the doorsteps of the
office till the last breath.

At this stage, I really don't care if I am being benifitted or not. Let a lot
of people know what's going on and let at least some people like me get
their predicaments addressed.

Sumanta said:
I am planning to take 5-7 days of leave for a solo ( meaning I am not asking for anyone else to join in ) hunger-strike till the last breath.

For those of you who think it borders on the insane, plzz move on, you
don't need to read further on.

All I need to know is whether any of you know the address of the
office where the person heading VSC sits. Not sure if its the commissioner
or the director or whatever they call it.

My intent is :

1) Highlight the plight of legal immigrants ( when almost everybody today
screams how one should try the legal route vs the illegal route )

2) Highlight how highly skilled educated professionals are getting treated
at the hands of an unscrupulous bureaucracy.

The plan is to either get to talk to the person and get a promise of
immediate addressal or else go without food right at the doorsteps of the
office till the last breath.

At this stage, I really don't care if I am being benifitted or not. Let a lot
of people know what's going on and let at least some people like me get
their predicaments addressed.

Here is the address.

Mr. Paul E. Novak, Jr., Director
Vermont Service Center
U.S. Department of Homeland Security
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
75 Lower Welden Street
St. Albans, Vermont 05479-0001

Thank you...

Thanks for the info.

Again, planning for a peaceful hunger strike with placards.

All I need is you support...in other words....if someone later asks people like
you as to whether this "insane" dude really has a point, plzz don't backtrack
and say "Oh no everything is fine". That's all I ask for....nothing else !!!

Immigration is a prIvilEge not a right

You may end up in Jail putting a permanent question mark on your chances of getting a GC.

Please proceed with caution..

Go Sumanta Go

I thought of a protest march couple of times, taking a black flag and standing in front of VSC but then I got disinterested.

May be what could be more effective is take all the pending 2001 and early 2002 people and take black flags and give your memo to the VSC Incharge.

I agree...and I am cautious

I am not starting this tommorrow. So yes, I am cautious.

On the other side, I am all set to fight and I seriously mean it.

I am still giving a last try with my Congressman...and I will, in fact,
let him and his office know that this is the extent to which I am ready to go.

As for the rest, I have figured, someone has to fight. If its none but me, so be it. There's nobody to help us. So let there be one, at least, even if a
sacrificial lamb.

PremChopra...its not as fun as u think

PremChopra said:
Go Sumanta Go

I thought of a protest march couple of times, taking a black flag and standing in front of VSC but then I got disinterested.

May be what could be more effective is take all the pending 2001 and early 2002 people and take black flags and give your memo to the VSC Incharge.

Hard to understand your tone from a message, but as you may understand, I am not going to do this for fun. When I say I am going to go w/o food
till resolution or last breath, I am not really looking for fun. No cheerleading,
no screaming ...

I don't agree with all this black flags hoopla...it makes it look very frivolous.
My plan is to sit quietly with placards...no noise..no disturbance..no
violence.

That is exactly I meant, black flags doesnot mean you need to have a 10 foot flag and scream, I meant placards, small paper flags/ribbon pinned to your shirt.

And when I said I thought about it, I exactly understand how you feel and I know it's not for fun, this stage happens when frustration goes beyond a limit.

My tone was such that I wanted you to succeed in your effort, not just bullied away. One thing, you need to understand is , that they will not like it and they would want to discourage it as if you succeed it opens gates for everyone else to start doing it.

If you think from other viewpoint, you might be wasting your time and their time and the resources they would use to deal with you might help them to get their job done faster.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 2 cents

Maybe my attitude regarding this issue is wrong but do you think that obtaining a GC is worth all this...

I mean is it worth putting yourself, your family and also your life on the line just for a GC.....

Atleast in my opinion, We should all give it a GOOD and HARD try but personally I would not take THIS matter to the extreme...

Some people might differ on this opinion..

Not worth it!

Green Card is NOT worth dying for! You might just wanna do a peaceful protest instead. I would much rather go back to my home country if I don't get the Green Card than die of hunger here in protest. We never ever do a hunger strike to root out problems like corruption, poverty in our home country, then why all this big drama here. Just my humble opinion.

I like it.

"We never ever do a hunger strike to root out problems like corruption, poverty in our home country" - I like this statement..

-Godse

Whats the matter. Is there no life if u do not have Green card. Its good to live here and its a great country with a lot of opportunities. But Its their country and u cannot push them to act fast to treat u well (if they are not).

I do not like the idea at all.

My 2 cents

Whereas I can understand your frustration that has driven you to this extreme, but I feel it is not worth 'dying for', or even thinking about it. Basically GC is more to do with giving you mental satisfaction and peace. A GC is not a magic pill and will not make a drastic difference in your life. OK, you may be able to change jobs (but you can stil do it by using AC21), you can enter US freely (You can still do that with AP). What my point is they (USCIS/Government/US Citizens) will not understand what the big deal is ? Unless you are in that stage a third person cannot understand what we have to go through during the wait. Once again, I say, it is all in the mind. You are already getting the benefits that a GC holder gets, so why can't you be patient and wait for your turn to be approved ?

This might sound harsh, and members may go after me, but I do not feel GC is worth all this. Again, GC is a privelage and not a right. You cannot demand a GC.

joyd said:
Green Card is NOT worth dying for! You might just wanna do a peaceful protest instead. I would much rather go back to my home country if I don't get the Green Card than die of hunger here in protest. We never ever do a hunger strike to root out problems like corruption, poverty in our home country, then why all this big drama here. Just my humble opinion.

I agree

Here's my logic

Let me put it this way.

I left my home 15000 miles away and came here only chasing my profession.
I have nothing else in this country , no roots, nothing other than my
professional excellence to bank on and pursue.

And its the I-485 approval that's the impediment to that. Which is why
I am trying to address it. I am being pragmatic here.

If you want to be an idealist, hey, why even work ? Shed all your trousers
and T- Shirts, don a tunic and go meditate in some mountain caves !!!

I made a conscious decision to pursue my career. Its a worldly involvement
and involves worldly solutions.

Good Idea but for GC not worth it

Hi Sumanta,
My 2 cents.
I think you have a great idea. But for GC - going on Hunger Strike - It is not worth it.
So don't get furious and think twice.

A token hunger strike of 1 day may be fine, but strike till last breath is non-sense. It just goes to show that u have no dignity and wud rather die here than go back to ur home country which is not as "Great" as this country...
I totally disapprove...

How bout doing a hunger strike for feeding hungry childern in the world....

Status
Not open for further replies.