Planning for Hunger Strike at Vermont....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why you want to deprive off food for GC?

I think it is a revolutionary idea.
Will it change anything for good? Who knows! God and USCIS and their rules are alien to us.
I will suggest before you do this demonstration, follow the rules.
1. Send three notice to USCIS.
2. Inform Local Administartion your intention and reasons.

Otherwise, you may end up in another legal problem like disturbing peace.
I wish you all good luck.
Trust me this GC everyone will get one day or another. It will not change anything in life except more financial debt like house, cars etc.
It is not worth to hurt yourself for such an unimoprtant issue.
If you decide to try keep us posted, we will glad to provide you moral support for your cause.

what you did last time???

Sumanta said:
Let me put it this way.

I left my home 15000 miles away and came here only chasing my profession.
I have nothing else in this country , no roots, nothing other than my
professional excellence to bank on and pursue.

And its the I-485 approval that's the impediment to that. Which is why
I am trying to address it. I am being pragmatic here.

If you want to be an idealist, hey, why even work ? Shed all your trousers
and T- Shirts, don a tunic and go meditate in some mountain caves !!!

I made a conscious decision to pursue my career. Its a worldly involvement
and involves worldly solutions.

from your last posts..
you planned like this some thing 2 years back what DID YOU DO??
http://immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=66958

if you think your's decision is PRAGMATIC
GO AHEAD ...

YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR ACTIONS....
ALL THE BEST!!

joyd said:
We never ever do a hunger strike to root out problems like corruption, poverty in our home country.

Well said Joyd !! This is something every indian should seriously think of !

I am sure I-485 approval is a matter of time....we all will get it sooner or later.

Sumanta and Joyd - my two cents

Here are my two cents.

Actually I agree with both views. That’s why I think Sumanta should pause for a moment and think about his move.

Definitely our life is not that cheap that we can just give it away for GC. GC is not end of the road. There are several other options if you think about them deeply.

At the same time, I also feel that we need to seriously look at creating awareness amongst congressmen about the unacceptable delays in the process. We need to lobby for it.

One thing we all could do is send a fax to your local congressman / senator appraising him about the status and delays in GC processing.

Joyd said we do not do any protest about corruption in our home country, but you will agree that we are not as aggressive in addressing our issues here as well. We are overly mellow about putting our point across. Here sending mass mails or fax also is taken quite seriously.

I am convinced that, Rajeev is doing his best, to fight for us we can support him. It can be a small step by donating for this cause. Believe me it wont go waste.

Sumanta,

Consider your self to be lucky. At least you have this forum to share your thoughts. You have USCIS web site to check your case status. I was talking to some of my senior colleagues, A few years ago there was no case status checking and no web site to share thoughts. People we much more deeper solitude. The only way was telephone and letters from INS.

My advice is hang on and start working silently. We can achieve greater shake-up even by writing to the right people. It was a good idea that you triggered this thought process.

Thanks

Guys relax...There are centers like NSC where things are moving very slowly, slower than Vermont. This is a cycle. So dont get impatient and do things that might jeopardize the future chances. Just send faxes with ur case details, to the director and ask for an audience with him.
Peace.

Sumanta said:
Let me put it this way.

I left my home 15000 miles away and came here only chasing my profession.
I have nothing else in this country , no roots, nothing other than my
professional excellence to bank on and pursue.

And its the I-485 approval that's the impediment to that. Which is why
I am trying to address it. I am being pragmatic here.

If you want to be an idealist, hey, why even work ? Shed all your trousers
and T- Shirts, don a tunic and go meditate in some mountain caves !!!

I made a conscious decision to pursue my career. Its a worldly involvement
and involves worldly solutions.

You seem to think that you can excel professionally only in US, not in your own country. I think this belief is flawed. If one is good, one can excel anywhere in the world, and there are numerous examples of that. I know that there are more opportunities here in US, but that doesn't mean that there are no opportunities elsewhere.

I think you should sit down quietly for some time and rethink your strategy. Giving up your life for mere GC does not seem like a good idea to me. Think of your family, friends, your country - you can do a lot for them even without GC. You say GC is a worldly involvement, and then you are thinking of leaving the world to obtain it. I don't get it.

Ultimately, it is your life, your choice.

If nothing else Sumanta has done a good deed by starting this thread. Look at its popularilty with the number of people posting, per minute !

Sumanta,

I feel it is your inner utter frustration that is speaking. Please take a few deep breathes and count till 100000, before making any desicions. Who knows by then even your GC may get approved ?

P.S.

Sorry about the sarcasm, just could not control myself !

Get a life !

Sumanta, Just control your emotions and get back to work. There are others who are in worse spots than you are - like the ones who got their 485 denied! Your day will eventually come. The last thing that we need is an Indian staging a drama in front of a Homeland Security building at this time. It is not like you absolutely need the green card here for everything. You can do most of the stuff without GC.

.... and they are not going to let you die on the streets. You will end up in jail way before that :eek:

Take it easy dude

Having to wait for 485 approval is definitely a big nuisance.
But if you have your 140 approved and are eligible to invoke AC-21 then the situation isn't that bad at all. You are no longer beholden to one employer. Imagine how bad the situation would be if there were no AC-21 provision.
Thinking about GC all the time only increases the frustration. Worrying about it is a waste of time and needless IMO. Get on with your life, enjoy it as much as you can and let time take care of things.

sertra2002 said:
A GC is not a magic pill and will not make a drastic difference in your life. OK, you may be able to change jobs (but you can stil do it by using AC21), you can enter US freely (You can still do that with AP).

I disagree with you. It is Magic pill for the people who work in IT with respect to economy and 911 math. Howmany people are hiring an H1B after 911 ? Go and get survey and see where the % has been fallen down since 911.

I'm working away from family and travelling all over the country(to keep legal status for GC), I'm living with no peace and proper health insurance and insecurity of my emplyer chapter-11 from past 3 years. No AC21 for concurrent filers, waiting for I-140 & I-485 from 20 months. All these pains, though I can be hired for a 6-digit income. But, I cannot be hired since I do not have I-140 to take advantages of AC21 or Green Card.

What are you talking about, don't you think GC is like a "Magic Pill" for person I have described above with challenging skills in the market and capable of earning 6-digit income ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sumantha's writings....

From sumantha's previous posts.... 2 years back
http://immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=66958

As for votes.....yes I too am in favour of reduction of
immigration. Bcoz u know what ? I Have no regard
for these illegal Sardars , Gujju Bhais and Mexico-border-
Hispanics. But aren't we supposed to be the creme-de-la-creme
propping up an economy ? However elistist it may sound,
I surely do not belong to the cabbie-Gujju Groccery shopkeeper-
7-11 illegal immigrant.

And if you are talking about votes.. well this is a country of
immigrants. Many of those who voted have forefathers
who landed on ships not too long ago. Maybe its time to
see if some residents living on welfare and not
contributing to the nation in any way should just leave the
shores !

My point is .. I hate anything illegal.. these people are the
ones who have broken laws in their own lands....
they r breaking laws when they r entering this nation...they will
continue to contribute to this nation in their way...and that is
..in breaking laws.. always finding loopholes and misusing
any system that's based on trust.

But I challenge any citizen right now...
if anyone can compete with me in my job.. and prove that
I am snatching his/her job.. i will leave tommorrow. If anyone
can show me in a fair math that s/he with his/her experience
and skillset is better prepared to perform what I do, I will
resign tommorrow.

???

I doing hunger strike - BAD Idea
U doing hunder strike - GOOD Idea

get a beer & chill dude.

Another point we all miss is that GC basically was to help a company. If it cannot find a citizen or PR to do that job, they can sponsor a non-citizen for GC. Now it is not a requirement that the citizen should do a better job, but
only that his experience and qualifications should be sufficient to do the job.
What is happening is just the reverse. If a non-citizen is working in a company, the company apply GC for him. That is the GC process gone wrong.
That is not what was intented. Anyway, but who are we to complain? We are the benefeciaries !!

Coming to sumanta's assertion that he can do a better job..bla bla.. where does the law say that a person who is working here deserves GC ?? Thats what we may want, but that is not what the law is. We sometimes think GC is our right, but it is not. If the GC law is applied in the strictest sense, I am sure many of us (my self included) may not even be eligible.

If the GC law is applied in the strictest sense, I am sure many of us (my self includ

I agree with sertra-1000%. :D :D

Very well said!

Lot of Opinions..few concrete ideas

Lots of foul mouthing...congrats...good ideas..crazy ideas...making fun...
taking seriously...lotsa philosophies...tons of opinions...in other words...
everything other than anything concrete enough.

So here's my take.....I will ( in fact when did I ever stop, I dunnow )
pursue every sane ( since the consensus indeed is ..that this is down
right INSANE ) option. Hope that works. Maybe next, I will try and see if
I can meet the VSC head in person. Maybe that works. If not, I will,
notwithstanding what discussions happen in this portal, happily and earnestly
go for a hunger strike as a way to protest.

What surprises me is the fact that everyone thinks I am gonna die !!!
A hunger strike is a form of protest....and one and hopefully draws attention.

Rest I will leave all you SANE-INTELLIGENT people to debate.

Happy debating & argumenting :)

What r u gaining from this

Sumantha,

You had tossed this ball two years back. You are doing the same thing again. As GC99999 has pointed out earlier, What did you do then ? What is your plan now ?

Are you just trying to create a sensational issue and play dirty tricks once again?

What is your intention Dude?

Only lobbying works in this country

Only lobbying works in this country. You have a better chance if you take your personal case and get the attention of a Senator (some how).
A hunger strike might highlight the general problem but I am not sure if it will do your case any good immediately. On the contrary as some one else mentioned it may cause you some problems if you get arrested.
Remember, the Immigrant Support Group's efforts a few years ago was the most effective one as it was well organized and they hired a professional lobbying group and they were able to bring all the policy changes(like making the unused visas available to general pool for applicants from India and China etc and thereby eliminating the need to wait for priority date etc) that have benefited so many people since then. Remember the days when people had to wait for 3 yrs+ to apply for 485 after their I-140 was cleared ?
However there are still many issues left unresolved and we are (legal immigrants) being penalised by a system which seems to work on a random number generator system. There does not seem to be any respect for a priority date any more. That is definitely very frustrating. Many people with approved labor have benefited from the new rules though. However people who played by the rules and used their own labor cert etc and have priority dates in 2001/2002 etc are still waiting while 485 applicants from 2004 walk away with approvals. There has to be a better system.

Status
Not open for further replies.