Pittsburgh N400 Timelines

I e-mailed the Pittsburgh DO today to ask if I'm in the queue for an interview, and they replied saying that my case was transferred from VSC yesterday (01/15), and they didn't receive it yet. Does that mean that all of the checks are clear? Per USCIS internal processes, they initiate and complete the name checks, and the fingerprint check before they send the case to the local office.
I called customer service yesterday to find out why my case is still not showing online, and I was told buy an IO not to worry about that, and that I should be scheduled for an interview within the next 3 months. I hope it gets scheduled soon. I can't wait lol.

Where did you get the email address of the DO? Can you guide me to the NYC DO email address?

Thx.

Thanks a2b! Good luck to you too.
Vik Pal. I just googled the information. I'm sure if you do a search for NYC DO, you'll find it.

Congratulations

Congratulations.

Your signature says that your Interview was on 1/24/2008 and your message states that the Oath ceremony was the day before i.e. on 1/23/2008 which is the 4th Wednesday of the month.

Someone in this forum has mentioned that the Oath Ceremony in Pittsburgh is held on the 3rd Wednesday of the month.

Which one is accurate.

Regards

Cantwait:
It is great news that you got Interview in 5 months time.
The day I went for Interview I learnt that they had day before the oath cermoney in the same office. SInce I also chosen to change name they said
it will be done in a court and a letter for oath ceremoney will ne sent.
I am wiating for that. They also told me that it will be sent in 2 to 3 weeks time and I will have 2 weeks time to attend. I am still waiting for that
letter.

Best of luck Cantwait
a2b

DO ......=>Pittsburgh (VSC)

Mailed to VSC........=>04/02/2007
Received Date........=>04/04/2007
Priority Date........=>04/04/2007
Check Cashed.........=>04/09/2007
Receipt Posted(VSC)..=>04/19/2007
Receipt Received ....=>04/23/2007
FP Notice Date.......=>04/24/2007
FP Done on ..........=>04/28/2007
FP Date..............=>05/03/2007
Interview Letter.....=>12/28/2007
Interview Date.......=>1/24/2008 passed interview and got N652 with congratulations checked
Oath Notice. Date.......=>xx/xx/2008 <-- Waiting for this letter.
Oath Letter..........=>xx/xx/2008
Oath Date............=>xx/xx/2008

Interview today

I've been reading this forum for a while now, but thought it was time to update you with my status. I had my interview today at 11 am, and it was done in about 10 minutes.

After swearing me in, I was asked to verify the information on the application. I gave the officer a sheet with my trips outside the US (all to Canada) since my application. I was asked to show him my divorce decree (previous marriage) and current marriage license. I had my tax return for this year, and transcripts for the past 3. He looked through those. I then signed the application, and had to write a sentence - "They were happy with their car." The civics test questions were as follows:
1) What are the colors of the flag?
2) Who is the commander in chief of the army & navy?
3) What are the requirements for running for president?
4) Who elects the congress?
5) What is the most important right granted to US citizens?
6) How many branches are there in the US govt.?

He then made copies of my passport and gave me the form with the 'Congratulations' checked. Yay! Apparently, in Pittsburgh, they have ceremonies at the federal court, as well as administrative ceremonies at the office.

I think I had a pretty good timeline, considering the delays in the check being cashed.

Good luck to the others.

M

I called the District Court at 412 -208 7520. The Pittsbugh oath ceremonies are held on the third Wednesday of each month. But that is only if you need to swear in the Court. People who want to change their names or got divorced or sth. like that need to do it in the Court. Otherwise, ceremony takes place in the office where you go for your interview. (USCIS 3000 Sidney Street, Suite 200 Pittsburgh, PA 15203).

Somebody told me it happens every week but I really don't know. My interview was on 02/20/2008 and I just got the oath letter yesterday with a 03.12.2008 ceremony date.

Goodluck with your application...

Congratulations.

Your signature says that your Interview was on 1/24/2008 and your message states that the Oath ceremony was the day before i.e. on 1/23/2008 which is the 4th Wednesday of the month.

Someone in this forum has mentioned that the Oath Ceremony in Pittsburgh is held on the 3rd Wednesday of the month.

Which one is accurate.

Regards

Just got my interview

I will also be interview in Pittsburgh District Office, my interview is on 4/1/2008.

Those of you interviewing in March, be sure to post your experiences here! Good luck!

Oath ceremony date

I got the oath ceremony notification today. It's on March 14th (Friday) at the US District court.

M

Almost there

Hello everyone,

I had my interview today at the Pittsburgh DO. There were only three people waiting. My attorney and I waited about 13 minutes and we were called in. The officer was very nice, he went through each field and question on the N-400, and filled out paperwork for the name change. He then asked me for evidence of bonafide marriage; I gave him our lease, health and dental insurance information, and different loans we have. The DAO had me sign my old and new names, and said as a part of a new pilot program to make the process faster, we will have an officer do the test. He said I recommend your case for approval, and if you pass the test, you will be scheduled for an oath ceremony in federal court.
We went to another office, and the other officer asked me six questions:
1. Who meets in U.S. the capitol building?
2. Who was the main writer of the declaration of independence?
3. Who becomes President if both the President and the vice President die?
4. Name one benefit of being a U.S. citizen?
5. Name one of the purposes of the United Nations?
6. What kind of government does the U.S. have?
Then write "America is the land of the free".
The DAO officer gave this officer the N-652, she checked you passed the test, and Congratulations, you application was recommended for approval. This last officer which I think doesn't know much, she usually works at the counter, meeting individuals with info pass appointments, said when my security checks complete; I will get the Oath Ceremony letter. I asked her, are they still pending? She said not yet but they will be :D My attorney said if they were still pending, the DAO would have said so and they would have checked a decision cannot be made at this time on the form instead of congratulations. IS this true?? Clearly, the counter officer is not familiar with the process, the security checks are initiated after the application is filed and fingerprints are taken, not after the interview lol (not pending now but they will be). Anybody had an experience like this or similar? Please post your opinions. Thanks!

Cantwait4

I have my interview less than 2 weeks also at Pittsburgh's DO. Where did you park your car? Is there a garage connected to the building?

There's free parking in front of the building. I don't know if you are aware but there's a major construction project at the BLVD of the Allies and surrounding areas, so you may want to drive there the day before to check it out.

Hello everyone,

I had my interview today at the Pittsburgh DO. There were only three people waiting. My attorney and I waited about 13 minutes and we were called in. The officer was very nice, he went through each field and question on the N-400, and filled out paperwork for the name change. He then asked me for evidence of bonafide marriage; I gave him our lease, health and dental insurance information, and different loans we have. The DAO had me sign my old and new names, and said as a part of a new pilot program to make the process faster, we will have an officer do the test. He said I recommend your case for approval, and if you pass the test, you will be scheduled for an oath ceremony in federal court.
We went to another office, and the other officer asked me six questions:
1. Who meets in the U.S. capitol building?
2. Who was the main writer of the declaration of independence?
3. Who becomes President if both the President and the vice President die?
4. Name one benefit of being a U.S. citizen?
5. Name one of the purposes of the United Nations?
6. What kind of government does the U.S. have?
Then write "America is the land of the free".
The DAO officer gave this officer the N-652, she checked you passed the test, and Congratulations, your application was recommended for approval. This last officer which I think doesn't know much, she usually works at the counter, meeting individuals with info pass appointments, said when my security checks are complete; I will get the Oath Ceremony letter. I asked her, are they still pending? She said not yet but they will be. My attorney said if they were still pending, the DAO would have said so and they would have checked a decision cannot be made at this time on the form instead of congratulations. IS this true?? Clearly, the counter officer is not familiar with the process, the security checks are initiated after the application is filed and fingerprints are taken, not after the interview lol (not pending now but they will be). Anybody had an experience like this or similar? Please post your opinions. Thanks!

Maybe I'm the one who don't know what they're talking about lol. There's a new post below that says "USCIS initiates IBIS checks after the interview". I hope the turnaround on these checks are quick so we can vote this year.

Maybe I'm the one who don't know what they're talking about lol. There's a new post below that says "USCIS initiates IBIS checks after the interview". I hope the turnaround on these checks are quick so we can vote this year.

If your last IBIS check was conducted more than 90 days ago, then the results have expired and CIS must run another IBIS check. The validity of this test is only 90 days. However, the good news is that it takes about 15-30 minutes to compete this check as it is done directly from the IO's PC. The N-400 Adjudicator Handbook states that this check be completed for all applicants at the time of the interview - so I am guessing some do it before the interview, while others run it after the interview. They are also supposed to conduct this test before the oath as well - if it is held 90 days after the last interview.

I personally don't' think an IBIS check would hold up your oath. You've been approved, just relax and wait for the oath letter. It seems to me as though your IO was a junior IO and does not have the authority to formally approve N-400s. therefore, your application has to go through a senior officer's review. Depending on their schedule this does take some time.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks LolaLi for the information! I'm relaxed. I finally see then end of the road, and I'm a little excited to get it done lol.

Finally

I have reached the end of the tunnel finally. I had my oath ceremony in Pittsburgh today. One advice for anybody taking oath in court in Pittsburgh. Go at least an hour and a half early. You'll spend that hour looking for parking since all the garages are full, and you will have to park--if you find one- and walk 15-20 mins back to the courthouse.
The ceremony was a very pleasant experience. It was scheduled for 9am. They checked us in, and we signed our certificates of naturalization. At 10am. the Assistant U.S. attorney recommended us for naturalization and we were sworn in. We then listened to a couple of speeches from different organizations, took the oath of allegiance, and we were presented with the certificates. We were then invited to the reception at a nearby hotel. I chose not to go, but rather went downstairs, and purchased certified copies of the name change decree, and went to have our own celebration.
Goodbye USCIS. I'm not looking forward to seeing you again :D