• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Picture for DV Lottery 2011

KhunBee

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

If anyone could advise how to resize the picture 600x600 pixel by maintaing the aspect ratio? I have been trying to adjust the pictures, but it seemed I could not do it to meet their requirement.

I could resize picture 600x600 pixel (unclick "maintain the aspect ratio") but the picture look a bit different (squeezed).

Appreciated if anyone can suggest how to do it and what program I should use.

Thank you so much in advance :)

Always maintain the aspect ratio because one of the examples they show of unacceptable photos is a stretched one.

You have to use the 'Crop' feature in any graphics program. If you have Microsoft Office, it'll come with little programs like Microsoft Office Picture Manager - that'll resize and crop to your specifications. You can also easily Crop with Windows Photo Gallery - but I can't see any resize feature in that.

Irfanview is another program you can use. I believe it's Shareware.

I have a quick question. Does the photo validator on the DV lottery entry website check all the photo requirements? In other words if it says my photo is valid, then it is valid not just as far as size but all the other criteria as well?

I have a quick question. Does the photo validator on the DV lottery entry website check all the photo requirements? In other words if it says my photo is valid, then it is valid not just as far as size but all the other criteria as well?
IMHO, I think the validator only checks the image size; it doesn't check anything else. Unless they have some sophisticated software that I am not aware of at the moment, they have to do a visual inspection of each photo to see if it conforms to the requirements. I can't imagine them going through over 100 000 photos of selectees in 4 months (Dec to March) and individually scritnize them for modifications.

SOme of my pictures have shadows (from the flash) in the background, and another one's background is not very light coloured. SO I am using the good old photoshop to clean up the backgrounds and remove shadows. I will keep my fingures crossed that they don't disqualify me.

IMHO, I think the validator only checks the image size; it doesn't check anything else. Unless they have some sophisticated software that I am not aware of at the moment, they have to do a visual inspection of each photo to see if it conforms to the requirements. I can't imagine them going through over 100 000 photos of selectees in 4 months (Dec to March) and individually scritnize them for modifications.

SOme of my pictures have shadows (from the flash) in the background, and another one's background is not very light coloured. SO I am using the good old photoshop to clean up the backgrounds and remove shadows. I will keep my fingures crossed that they don't disqualify me.

If the picture has the wrong background the entry might be ejected after chosen to be a winner, and the next number might become a winning number...

I doubt it. I tested it out by validating a profile photo of my dog against a busy, leafy background and the only thing the Photo Validator fussed about was the size. Even 600x601 wasn't good enough. But once I cropped it to a perfect 600x600 it said the picture was valid.

So that tells me the Photo Validator only checks the size and that you have to be really careful about following all the rules for photos - background, aspect ratio, proportion of the head, etc.