Photos for N400

SAM33

Registered Users (C)
This one is funny, I know that USCIS only accept non digital photos, but where ever I go for photos, nobody takes them with Polaroid camera anymore. Please explain what type of photos everyone is sending with their application? I don't want to mess up or delay my process for photos.

This one is funny, I know that USCIS only accept non digital photos, but where ever I go for photos, nobody takes them with Polaroid camera anymore. Please explain what type of photos everyone is sending with their application? I don't want to delay my process for photos.

Goto Sears Portrait Studios and ask for passport pictures. That's what I did.

--Rafiq

This one is funny, I know that USCIS only accept non digital photos, but where ever I go for photos, nobody takes them with Polaroid camera anymore. Please explain what type of photos everyone is sending with their application? I don't want to mess up or delay my process for photos.

Just tell them you want passport photos.

Haha, I just had mine done at Walgreens and they took the photo with a digital camera. How are they going to know how it was done...it comes out on the same paper?

Haha, I just had mine done at Walgreens and they took the photo with a digital camera. How are they going to know how it was done...it comes out on the same paper?
If examined with sufficient magnification (this can be done with a scanner with a high DPI, no need for a microscope), it is easy to tell the difference between digital and non-digital photographs. The pixelation of the digital photographs becomes obvious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most Walgreens and other large stores take passport photos with a digital camera. I don't know that there's ever been any problem with them when I've applied for a Re-entry permit in the past, and I've done it three times.

US post office

Get them done at the Post Office. You can't get much more "official" than that.

K

SAM33: Where are you getting your information? I've never seen the "no digital" requirement:

http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments/M-603.pdf

http://travel.state.gov/passport/guide/guide_2081.html

Bottom line: if the digital photos look identical to Polaroids, then they are good to go. USCIS doesn't want you taking a photo of yourself with your cell phone camera then printing it out on regular paper at home on a junky inkjet printer that came free with the computer.

Walgreens did my photos. Digital, perfect quality, quick and cheap. I highly recommend them to anyone.

As an aside, I've never had problems with digital photos and government agencies, but I've had plenty of problems with Polaroids being taken by some of the clowns who work in places that take passport photos. The digital system is idiot-proof.

Get them done at the Post Office. You can't get much more "official" than that.

K

Though US Post office is the best recomendation if you want be as official as possible.

I found out that post office is (very) expensive compared to walmart, wal green or other store. I have had my photos taken at walmart for every USCIS application (I-485/I-130/N-400 even passport) with digital camera and no complains.

One suggestion though get about 4 photos extra so that you have some spare for your Interview (some time USCIS asks for the photos even though you have sent them) and dress smartly (go all out suite and tie if you want :)) )because one of these photos will go on your naturalization certificate.

Any how best of luck for the application.

vik_b

I took my own pictures with a 5 MP camera and printed them on my ink jet printer.
There was slight grain in the picture due to the printer quality, but USCIS accepted the prints for the naturalization certificate (I didn't think they would since they were rejected by Passport Canada).

For my US passport, I took the same picture, uploaded them to Walmart making sure of correct dimensions with photo editing software. There was no grain in picture since they use high quality photo printers. Total cost was $1.27 for two pictures.

Here's a quick tutorial on how to edit your own picture for passports:

http://www.dpchallenge.com/tutorial.php?TUTORIAL_ID=22

Last edited by a moderator:
I took my own pictures as well with a digital camera, edited for correct dimensions, uploaded to cvs.com, cut to the right size and sent with my application.
In a past, I also took my own photos for each Travel Document that I applied and for my children’s US passports. Every time my pictures were accepted.

Why I am so particular about photos, when I applied for Reentry permit in July 2007, uscis requested new set of photos from me in April 2008 and also letter was explaining in detail that photos should not be digital. So once I had a bad experience. I already took 2 new set of Polaroid ones last week.