Philadelphia Transfer Cases

Successful green card interview

I don't post often but this is one that I thought would benefit others who are waiting.

I lost my job last Nov and just recently accepted a job offer and moved to Maryland a month ago. I filed my change of address form (sent it to Kentucky) about 2 weeks ago and received the letter for the interview at Philadelphia the same time (give or take a couple of days).

I went for the interview this past Friday. I got there at 8 am. My appointment was for 9.30 am. I didn't get called till about 11 am. And by the time I left it was close to noon. The officer was really nice. He fingerprinted me and swore me in. Asked for my employment letter and a few questions about the new job - what I was doing, what the other projects in the company were etc. I gave him a description of my job and another project. Then I said that I was too new to know what all the projects in the company were. He said that was okay. He also asked me all the routine questions they are supposed to ask. He then flipped through my passport and asked about a vacation I'd taken last year in Europe. Then he said that since my case seemed fairly straightforward he wouldn't transfer it to Maryland and would approve it right there. A big sigh of relief!! I guess I was really worried that it would get transferred to Maryland and I'd go back to the bottom of the pile.

He also asked what other documents I had brought with me. So I said that I had copies of all the documents that INS had ever sent me. He flipped through them and said it was a good thing I'd brought them in case there were any missing from my file but since there weren't I could have the copies back. Then he said what else. So I said that since I wasn't sure what documents constituted "evidence of jurisdiction" I'd brought my tax returns for the past 3 years. He flipped through those and said that government documents were always a good thing to bring along. But he returned those to me as well. I had several others to show that I was till recently within the jurisdiction of the Philadelphia office - like health insurance statements, utility bills etc. but I didn't volunteer those and he didn't ask for anything else.

Then he stamped my passport, updated my new address on the computer and sent me on my way.

I've been through fingerprinting twice and had 3 EADs (the last one was issued at the Callowhill office in April04). I was told that the actual card would be sent in about 5 to 7 months.

It's been a long haul. Good luck to all those who are waiting.

Congratulations onemorephilly!

That's so encouraging! Congratulations for finding a job and getting green card!

How about Turkish Engineer? Haven't heard from you for a while. Did you finish interview?

To Turkish Engineer

Sorry to hear about that!

I really doubt Philadelphia received your file from VSC right after transfer. Most likely your file was misplaced among later transfer files. I believe you deserve an offical answer from Philly why they haven't scheduled your interview yet.

Best wishes,

To Turkish Engineer

I agree with Lowell. I think it's odd that others who were transferred several months after you have had their interviews but you haven't. I know of two instances where USCIS actually lost the case files. It might be worth your checking with them officially - just to ensure that they still do have your file.

Work-in

You can just walk-in to the local office without making any appointment. It is pretty easy, and people are nicer there.

Congratulations onemorephilly!!!

I got my interview notice after applying ap and ead. I know they will dig into our file when we apply ead or ap.
They even used my 485 photos sent in nov'01 in my ap and in the greencard
they used my ap photos I sent in feb'04. I hope this helps for others like turkish engineer.
Dont worry your day will come sooner.

Does on-line status change after transfer?

Does the on-line status change when the transferred case is approved? I scaned some cases that were transferred long time ago. The on-line information shows that none of them is approved. Thanks.

no it didnt change for me. They assigned me a new eac no. and sent the card. they kept the same A#.

Hi guys...
I am F-1 -> H1b -> married to USC -> Applied 485 +130 @ Detroit (12/2002)
I got a good offer in PA and took it in October 2003[Now I think I should have waited ] .... wrote about the change of address to KY and also called the Detroit office everyday so that they would transfer my file....which Finally reached Callowhill in November 2003..... Applied for my EAD( Nov 2003) ...Got EAD in Feb(2004).... and thats the last I have heard from them...

so RD 12/2/2002 Detroit
TD 11/15/2003 Philly

First of all let me congratulate onemorephilly..I think your case is a big morale booster for guys in similar boats....

Anyone else get anything from the INS office Lately....Like i didn't get any acknowledgement for FP or anything..is it a common thing...do they FP at the end of the process...
thanx a ton in advance

sachin

Ead

It is time for my 3rd EAD renewal.
Guys, last time I filed my EAD online at VSC. Now, since my case is transferred to PHL, is it better to file it online or the conventional way.
Any experience, pl. let me know.

I have applied for my second ead (online) in september 03, TD to Phila was 11/13/02. EAD online process took about four months but finally came in the mail. I just had to go to a local office (York, PA) for finger printing. But everthing is so fluid these days, I am not sure about the latest procedure. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
EAD experience at Philly

I mailed my application to Philly in Feburary. They sent me an appointment letter in April to receive EAD in person in Philadelphia. Before this, there is no receipt notice just EAD appointment letter.

I asked for reschedule of my appointment in April because of conflict. They received and sent me another appointment letter for June.

I went to Philly on the appointment day. It only took me five minutes for fingerprinting and picture to get the EAD. But it took me three hours and a half for waiting since they messed up my A#. By the time I got my EAD, I can't inquiry about my I-485 since they closed at 11:00am.

The thing is the physical card of EAD from Philly looks in poor quality than the one I got from VSC. It does not have any security feature and does not look like real.

Philadelphia Office Contact number

Hello Gurus,

I am trying to contact Philadelphia office regarding my interview schedule but no body is picking up the phone. I have tried in all phone numbers listed on their site.

If any body has called Philadelphia office before, please let me know and also provide me the phone number.

Any body has any idea that how much time it is taking to
Schedule an interview?

Thanks

Tunu
RD Date : March 2002
TD Date : June 2004

processing date

I went to the Philadelphia office. An Officer told me that it takes 12-15 months to get an interview after the case is transferred. My RD is 6/02 FP is 5/03 and TD is 6/04. I also heard from some attorneys that the processing date is based on original RD not the TD. How do we pursuade the Pilly Office?
Texanpa

Hi, texanpa,

I went there in person, either. No way to persuade them, and beyond that, the TD is the starting date in the official time fame.

Last edited by a moderator:
My case was transfered to Philadelphia

What a bad day it is today! I got an email this morning claiming that my case has been transfered to Philadelphia local office. My REF reply was sent to Vermont on 7/9, and never expected that it would be transfered. My case is a little bit complicated because I have to change job and move from Philadelphia to Illinois, so I applied AC21. But they still transfer it to Philly, which means I have to fly back to Philly to be interviewed? What a mess it is! I am so stressed.

Quick question guys....

When do they call in for FP .

RD: 12/03/2002 (INS Detroit Office)
EAD: 02/14/2003(INS Detroit)

10/15/2003 :JobTransfer to Philly area
TD to Philly : 11/15/2003
EAD#2: 02/24/2004(USCIS Philly)
any help is greatly appreciated

sachin