Philadelphia Transfer Cases

Can you please explain in detail, I am also same situation like you, I received a notice from Philadelphia on 26th October 2004 but still not able to receive any interview letter from them, can you please share your experience and what documents are required and how the interview etc, very sorry for bothering but as you know how tension the situation is.... Thank you in advance for your immediate reply

Interview at Philly Office

I self-filed I-140 through EB1 category on June 2002 at VSC. My case was approved on May 2004. Filed I-485 for me, wife and kid on Jan 2004. Transferred to Philly Office on June 2004. Fingerprint done August 2004. Interview on Nov. 2004. However, the Officer did not stamp our passport saying that the background check is waiting. He said it was sent to FBI on 4th Feb 2004 and yet they have not received the results. He said it is quite possible that it will arrive in next 2 months. Now it's almost 3 months and no reply yet. Planning for a visit to Philly Office. Can anyone say whether this is going to help? Has anyone had a similar experience? Your views will be appreciated.

I-485 - Transferred to local office, Philadelphia

Hi Guru's.
Can any one help me to share their experience regarding I-485 interview at Philadelphia. My (I-485 ) case was transferred to local office, Philadelphia on October 26, 2004. My I-485 was originally filed in Vermont on Nov 22, 2002 (RD). I really appreciate if you let me know when can I expect the Interview, any good local Attorneys details and Is there any number where I can call for the status of my case.... Not 1-800. . Thank you all for your wonderful help.

Here is my interview experience!!

After the security check, they asked me and family to go to Room 300. My interview was scheduled at 10:15 AM. My wife's at 10:45 and my kid's 11;15 AM. But we went inside as early as 9:45 AM. There were some 10 people already sitting there. My kid was feeling hungry but could not locate any vending machines on that floor. Then I submitted the interview papers through the window and waited for about 25 minutes. A black male officer, neatly dresses, opened the side door and called my name. I took my entire family with me which he allowed. Right next to the door there was a black ink pad and the officer asked us to press my index finger on a form with my name. My hands were a bit shivering. Then my wife did hers and my kid did hers too.

Then he asked us to follow him. He went to his room and ask us to be seated. First thing he did was he asked all our passports and very carefully looked into every minute details in that. Since I also lived in countries like Israel and Germany (for only educational purposes). Then he asked me when we entered first time into this country, SSN and date of birth etc. Then he asked us (me and my wife only) to stand togehter and take oath. He asked all the questions from I-485 application such as have you ever been arrested...etc...etc. I firmly replied. He was marking all the questions and details using a yellow highlighter pen. Then he asked us relax and asked for employment letter. My case was job independent EB-1 (Extraordinary Ability) category I promply handed over the employment letter. He read it carefully. Then he asked me whether I have any other documents to give him. I replied him what do you expect? He was not specific and he was not too much concerned either. I gave copy of past 6 months salary slips. He kept them in and started tieing my file meanwhile looking into my eyes and told me that your file is clean and you're all set to go. He then continued saying that he checked in the computer that my FBI backround check request was sent on Feb 2004 and they haven't heard from FBI. It was 9 months completed then. So I asked him whether there is any phone contact to FBI. he said "no" and continued that at this moment waiting is the best option. I told him that I feel disappointed a bit. He said he will send a reminder to FBI again and it must arrive before 12 months. He said there won't be any further interview for us and we will be sent the approval letter once BG check results are there.
Then he wanted to make copies of our latest passports and returned back to his office after 5 minutes. He started asking some jovial questions about my research and talking to us casually. we thanked and said "good Bye" to him. It's 2.5 months over and no news yet. Planning to visit Philly Office to make a status enquiry.

This is my experience and your's should be on the same lines. My wishes for your GC stamp.

Your transfer date is June, 2004? And you got interview letter in Nov. 2004? Only 5 months - that's very fast. Did you apply/renew EAD or Advance Parole at Philly Office after your case got transferred?

Thanks for the info you provided here.

pdramesh2000 said:
After the security check, they asked me and family to go to Room 300. My interview was scheduled at 10:15 AM. My wife's at 10:45 and my kid's 11;15 AM. But we went inside as early as 9:45 AM. There were some 10 people already sitting there. My kid was feeling hungry but could not locate any vending machines on that floor. Then I submitted the interview papers through the window and waited for about 25 minutes. A black male officer, neatly dresses, opened the side door and called my name. I took my entire family with me which he allowed. Right next to the door there was a black ink pad and the officer asked us to press my index finger on a form with my name. My hands were a bit shivering. Then my wife did hers and my kid did hers too.

Then he asked us to follow him. He went to his room and ask us to be seated. First thing he did was he asked all our passports and very carefully looked into every minute details in that. Since I also lived in countries like Israel and Germany (for only educational purposes). Then he asked me when we entered first time into this country, SSN and date of birth etc. Then he asked us (me and my wife only) to stand togehter and take oath. He asked all the questions from I-485 application such as have you ever been arrested...etc...etc. I firmly replied. He was marking all the questions and details using a yellow highlighter pen. Then he asked us relax and asked for employment letter. My case was job independent EB-1 (Extraordinary Ability) category I promply handed over the employment letter. He read it carefully. Then he asked me whether I have any other documents to give him. I replied him what do you expect? He was not specific and he was not too much concerned either. I gave copy of past 6 months salary slips. He kept them in and started tieing my file meanwhile looking into my eyes and told me that your file is clean and you're all set to go. He then continued saying that he checked in the computer that my FBI backround check request was sent on Feb 2004 and they haven't heard from FBI. It was 9 months completed then. So I asked him whether there is any phone contact to FBI. he said "no" and continued that at this moment waiting is the best option. I told him that I feel disappointed a bit. He said he will send a reminder to FBI again and it must arrive before 12 months. He said there won't be any further interview for us and we will be sent the approval letter once BG check results are there.
Then he wanted to make copies of our latest passports and returned back to his office after 5 minutes. He started asking some jovial questions about my research and talking to us casually. we thanked and said "good Bye" to him. It's 2.5 months over and no news yet. Planning to visit Philly Office to make a status enquiry.

This is my experience and your's should be on the same lines. My wishes for your GC stamp.

My case was transfered about the same time of yours. And I filed 485 earlier than you. Reading the old posts, I found that Philly office will tell you don't contact them in 15 months... sucks.

Boddam said:
Hi Guru's.
Can any one help me to share their experience regarding I-485 interview at Philadelphia. My (I-485 ) case was transferred to local office, Philadelphia on October 26, 2004. My I-485 was originally filed in Vermont on Nov 22, 2002 (RD). I really appreciate if you let me know when can I expect the Interview, any good local Attorneys details and Is there any number where I can call for the status of my case.... Not 1-800. . Thank you all for your wonderful help.

Only recently I applied for EAD. Intially, I sent paper filed EAD to Philly Office. Within 10 days they sent me back asking me to file to Chicago Lock Box facility. That was very confusing becasue their form indicated that is only for Family Based cases. So I chose e-filing. E-filing was easy and my EAD appln. was automatically directed to National Benefits Center, Missouri. Online says that it is taking between 30-90 days and I recently finished Biometrics also. This way, 90 days time is maintained and even the Philly Office website says that if they accept EAD at their office they will forward it to NBC. So if you have confusion about filing EAD and AP, please do it by e-filing. It will automatically assign your application to a particular service center.

Updated the tracker with all the info that was posted since my last post

Guys,

the ones who are in the tracker in bold, please post here any new info abt your case ... Thx,
nemessis

Timeline of I-485

Here are my exact timeline of my I-485 filing

I-140-EB1-EA-RD Jun14,2002
I-140-AD May25, 2004
I-485/I-765-RD Jan 29, 2004
I-765- AD April 25, 2004
I-485 -TD Jun 08, 2004
FP - Aug 08,2004
LUD-Aug 27,2004
Interview date - Nov 05, 2004
Waiting for Background Check
AD - ??

If your case has been transferred to Philly in JUne, 2004, How could you have a LUD in August,2004? As far as I know, after transfer, your case status will NOT change....

pdramesh2000 said:
Here are my exact timeline of my I-485 filing

I-140-EB1-EA-RD Jun14,2002
I-140-AD May25, 2004
I-485/I-765-RD Jan 29, 2004
I-765- AD April 25, 2004
I-485 -TD Jun 08, 2004
FP - Aug 08,2004
LUD-Aug 27,2004
Interview date - Nov 05, 2004
Waiting for Background Check
AD - ??

yuxin

The LUD was on fingerprint update. This is after transfer.

I am cutting and pasting from USCIS website.

"On August 30, 2004, the results of your fingerprint review for your I485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status were received, and processing has resumed on your case. We will mail you a notice if further action is needed, or when a decision is made."

No change after that. No update on interview.

This is why I was confused:
Here are my questions:
(1)You did your finger print after your case was transferred, correct?
(2)Your finger print notice is from Philly office or Vermont Service Center? If your case has been transferred, I would think the finger print notice should have come from Philly.
(3) After you did finger print, I thought your case status would NOT be updated at USCIS site since your case was in Philly. I always thought the case status at USCIS site is the status report from VSC, not local office. But looks like I was wrong.
(4) One thing I think I was right: noboday has a status change when receiving the interview letter.

I would appreciate if you can answer my questions.

My case was transferred in Nov. 2004. I am EB1a, 140 approved in 04/2004. I filed I485 in 08/2002. I haven't received anything from Philly office yet.

Thanks.

pdramesh2000 said:
yuxin

The LUD was on fingerprint update. This is after transfer.

I am cutting and pasting from USCIS website.

"On August 30, 2004, the results of your fingerprint review for your I485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status were received, and processing has resumed on your case. We will mail you a notice if further action is needed, or when a decision is made."

No change after that. No update on interview.

1)You did your finger print after your case was transferred, correct?

That's right

(2)Your finger print notice is from Philly office or Vermont Service Center? If your case has been transferred, I would think the finger print notice should have come from Philly.

I received FP from Pittsburgh ASC with reference my appln in Philly (mentioned on top of the letter).

(3) After you did finger print, I thought your case status would NOT be updated at USCIS site since your case was in Philly. I always thought the case status at USCIS site is the status report from VSC, not local office. But looks like I was wrong.

FP status for some reason was updated

(4) One thing I think I was right: noboday has a status change when receiving the interview letter.

You may be right. But Philly interviewing officer told me that I can also check my I-485 approval thro' online. Looks like, we seem to know better than them.

pdramesh2000,

Thanks for the info.

Two more questions: where do you reside? when did you apply for your EAD renewal (directly to philly)?

If I were you, I wouldn't worry too much. However I'd send request to FBI and ask for name check status.

Two more questions: where do you reside? when did you apply for your EAD renewal (directly to philly)?

I reside in State College, PA

My EAD receipt date is 14 Jan 2005. But still waiting for the paper receipt notice. Present EAD expires on 25th April 2005.
Philly did not accept my EAD appln. So I e-filed which automatically forwarded my appln to National Benefits Center.

Nov. Interview without approvement

pdramesh2000, we are in same boat! I had interview at Nov. 4, 2005, i got same answer about the background check. I were told to call the officer every 2 weeks. It is still not clear as of today. I just did my third fingerprints last week!

I don't think it is helpful to visit the local office. I work at a building right near the INS. I 've tried several times before, not very useful I think.

EB2, RD: Feb, 2002

nabuco said:
pdramesh2000, we are in same boat! I had interview at Nov. 4, 2005, i got same answer about the background check. I were told to call the officer every 2 weeks. It is still not clear as of today. I just did my third fingerprints last week!

I don't think it is helpful to visit the local office. I work at a building right near the INS. I 've tried several times before, not very useful I think.

EB2, RD: Feb, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guru’s & Nabuco,

My (I-485) case was transferred to local office, Philadelphia on October 26, 2004. My I-485 was originally filed in Vermont on Nov 22, 2002 (RD). EB3 and Employment based one. I am staying in Dallas, TX. Is that a good idea to visit Philadelphia local office to get some information about my transfer date? Thank you all.

I won't do the trip to Philly just for that, it won't do any good. I live in Philly and I went to the USCIS office a few weks ago but I coudn't get any new info, just that my case is there and I have to wait for the interview letter ... things I already knew.

Boddam said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guru’s & Nabuco,

My (I-485) case was transferred to local office, Philadelphia on October 26, 2004. My I-485 was originally filed in Vermont on Nov 22, 2002 (RD). EB3 and Employment based one. I am staying in Dallas, TX. Is that a good idea to visit Philadelphia local office to get some information about my transfer date? Thank you all.

Guru’s & Nabuco,

My (I-485) case was transferred to local office, Philadelphia on October 26, 2004. My I-485 was originally filed in Vermont on Nov 22, 2002 (RD). EB3 and Employment based one. I am staying in Dallas, TX. Is that a good idea to visit Philadelphia local office to get some information about my Interview date? Thank you all.

Visit of local office

I don't think your visitting will speed up the process. The staff you will meet at downstairs is not the one that decide your fate, i.e., the time of interview. They usually answer your general questions, that 's all.

But on the other hand, sometime GOD will give you mercy if he thinks you suffered too much (not the INS). Your day will finally come, I hope... From this end, it is not a bad idea to take the time going to the office.