Philadelphia Regional DOL Tracker - Old (Archived on 09/23/2004)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure what path these guys take to approve the LC. i checked AVM today and there were two more certifications with case number 03392008 and 007 with DOT code 030.062-010 recieved in DOL on June 16th and certified on July 1st.

but cases before that are yet to be certified. i know cases with different DOT code get priority, but these approvals are of same DOT code as others in this forum.

vicky

Originally posted by love2002

This really isn't the best thread for discussing this but...

1.My lawyer is saying file I140 first and then go for I-485. in this case 140 is getting approved within 3-4 months. but if we apply for the concurrent processing, it takes more than 8 months for the 140 approval. does it true?

I dunno about this. If you are doing AOS, the bottleneck would appear to be how long the I-485 takes (currently about 18 months at VSC) so it would seem to be more important to get the I-485 into the pipeline asap. It doesn't really matter if the I-140 is done in 3 months or 13 months if the I-485 is taking 18+ months and isn't held up in any way by the I-140.

I have seen other threads suggest that I-140's take longer to process if these are filed concurrently with I-485's -- I don't know if this is the case. There is nothing in the BCIS I-140 processing times (up to 14 months or so depending on your EB status) to indicate that this situation exists, but there is some anecdotal evidence of this floating around.

If it really is possible to get an I-140 in 4 months if there is no concurrent I-485, then this makes CP look a lot more attractive IMO as long as your job situation is stable since you could probably be done with CP in 10-14 months or so (4 months for the I-140 + 6-10 months or so to get through the CP interview) vs about 18 months for the entire AOS process.

I've been trying to get more information on this for quite a while now and haven't really gotten anywhere...

2.Also I am wondering if we can apply 485 anytime after we filed the 140? ie., when 140 is pending , can we apply 485 anytime or have to wait for 140 to be completed?

I don't know -- I'd like to know about this also. The 485/AOS threads at this site may have more info. I'd be concerned (perhaps unnecessarily) that doing this could be perceived "badly" by the BCIS -- they could say that you are trying to "work" the system by speeding up the I-140 processing time, although, again, I don't see how this would benefit you if you go the AOS route (and if you plan to go the CP route, you should probably specify this on the I-140 application to begin with or you'll have to use I-824 to switch from the AOS default to CP (which can take 6+ months afaik unless the consulate accepts AC I-140).

Since 485 needs medical tests and other proof of documents and it takes some time ,I think it will be much quicker to apply for 140 first, then after a month apply for 485.
Please let me know will that be possible?

Again, I don't know if you can do the I-140 then the I-485 shortly thereafter, although it seems like this could be possible.

FWIW, in this area (DC) I recently called around and found that its taking about 2 weeks to get an appointment for medicals. The results can take 2 weeks to obtain I believe. Not having your immunizations current (or not having records of this) could cost you another couple weeks or more depending on your situation.

You could always arrange for the medical exams around the time that you expect your LC to be processed and go ahead with these if you get approved, thereby preventing the time to get an appointment from holding up the I-485. Or, if you feel lucky, you could go ahead with the medicals immediately (they are good for 1 year I believe) and take the chance that you will be approved for LC and not be out the $$$ for the exams (I was quoted about $200/adult, $95/child in the DC area).

As far as I know, the medicals are the biggest hurdle delay-wise to getting the I-485 into the pipeline. You can always start to gather other needed documents ahead of time so everything is ready to go as soon as the LC goes through (passport copies etc. -- see http://www.immihelp.com/gc/aos/forms_docs.html or other similar sites for a list of what is needed).

ETA

Re: EAD application!

Originally posted by abhatt76
Can anyone guide me through the process of applying for my EAD (work permit)? My Lawyer told me that I can apply right after I receive my Labor Cert. What is the usual waiting time for that? As my H-1 expires in October, 2003. Do I still need an extension for my H-1 if I can apply for my EAD? I am expecting to get my Labor Cert. by Mid August. Please guide me in this matter.

Thanks
A

I'm in a very similar boat (1st H1B expires Oct. 01, hoping for LC approval within a couple of weeks). We applied for a renewal of the H1B about 1 month ago to be safe. It seems very possible that by the time we have everything ready for the I-485, it could be September. I'm pretty sure you can't get your EAD for at least 90 days, maybe longer, after filing the I-140 / I-485 and I'm not sure what happens if your H1B expires before the EAD arrives -- maybe you are ok as long as you get the I-485 in or maybe its ok as long as you aren't out of status for more than 180 days but I'm totally speculating here and you'd want to get professional advice on this.

You definitely wouldn't be able to leave the US and re-enter if your H1B is expired and you don't have the EAD (you would also need to have your advance parole (AP) to be able to re-enter on an EAD, otherwise your AOS is considered to be abandoned).

In your case, it sounds like you might be cutting it *really* close. LC's at the Philly DOL are taking on average about 54 days currently (see the spreadsheet tracker) but some people have taken as long as 70 days recently. If there are any delays in your LC and/or I-140/I-485 preparation, you could easily be past the end of your H1B before you get the I-485 going. Afaik, you're out of status at that point. This may be ok for a while but I don't know - I'd definitely check with your lawyer on this.

Also, from what I understand, perhaps incorrectly, the fastest way to get an EAD is to file the I-140 / I-485 then, after 90 days, you can get the EAD in person at a local BCIS office as long as the I-140 is still active or approved by then (unlikely) and there is no NOF (notice of findings) for the I-140.

Also, as long as you've applied to renew your H1B, you should remain in status for up to 240 days past the end of your current H1B (if the new one hasn't arrived).

ETA

Last edited by a moderator:
NO YOu cant use the the old company labour to the new company .you have to start over again .
NOTE: But i heard or read somewhere that if you are in the 40 miles radius from the company (here your old company ). I think you can make use of it .. But i am not sure

Kishuibm

Originally posted by dsujay
What happens if one has a approved labor and then gets laid off? Can the approved labor certificate be used by another company, or the GC process starts all over again?

Originally posted by PHGUY
Any luck with Email system lately?

Not much:

Your message

To: LCSTATUS03@doleta.gov
Sent: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 10:24:11 -0400

did not reach the following recipient(s):

LCSTATUS03@doleta.gov on Wed, 16 Jul 2003 10:27:04 -0400
The recipient was unavailable to take delivery of the message
The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=us;a= ;p=legend
entertain;l=EXCHANGE0307151426LQSLR4V4
MSEXCH:IMS:Legend Entertainment:LEGENDENT:EXCHANGE 3499 (000B09B6)
Host unreachable

It's been like that for about 1 week now. But, the AVM has worked very well for me the last few times I've tried it (215-861-5286)

ETA

Re: EAD application!

See after filign 140/485/EAD the base time for geting the EAD is 90 days .. But this always depends on the service centers .. Few of them got with in 60 days also ..So try your luck .. but Take always 90 days consideration.

Originally posted by abhatt76
Can anyone guide me through the process of applying for my EAD (work permit)? My Lawyer told me that I can apply right after I receive my Labor Cert. What is the usual waiting time for that? As my H-1 expires in October, 2003. Do I still need an extension for my H-1 if I can apply for my EAD? I am expecting to get my Labor Cert. by Mid August. Please guide me in this matter.

Thanks
A

Re: Email System

Originally posted by slow_lc
Has anybody tried the automated email system off late. Looks like its not working.

It has not been working for last 7+days.
It seems that their database has some problems.:eek:

6 year H1B ends soon.

Hi ETA,

Read your message about H1b issue. I am in similar situation too. I have applied for H1B extention 3 months ago. My attorny says I will get H1b till Feb 2004. That would end my 6 years of H1B.
I have also filed LC and am hoping to get it approved by end of this month (Phily). I would file I-140 with CP by next month. Based on current processing times it may take 6-8 months. Thus the last day on my H1b for 6th year and I-140 approval will be in the same time range(Feb-March 2004). My attorny said they will file 7th year extention in Feb-March 2004.

What if I have filed H1B for 7th year in Feb 2004 and while its in process I get a date for CP for 10 April 2004. Then should I wait for the H1b to be approved or go for CP interview with out it.

I am not going the 485 route.:p

Re: 6 year H1B ends soon.

Originally posted by gc121802
Hi ETA,

Read your message about H1b issue. I am in similar situation too. I have applied for H1B extention 3 months ago. My attorny says I will get H1b till Feb 2004. That would end my 6 years of H1B.
I have also filed LC and am hoping to get it approved by end of this month (Phily). I would file I-140 with CP by next month. Based on current processing times it may take 6-8 months. Thus the last day on my H1b for 6th year and I-140 approval will be in the same time range(Feb-March 2004). My attorny said they will file 7th year extention in Feb-March 2004.

What if I have filed H1B for 7th year in Feb 2004 and while its in process I get a date for CP for 10 April 2004. Then should I wait for the H1b to be approved or go for CP interview with out it.

I am not going the 485 route.:p

These are definitely questions that I'd run by your lawyer. From what I understand, if your CP is denied at the interview, its not going to matter whether you have an H1B in hand or not -- you won't be coming back into the US until (if) the reasons for the denial can be cleared up. If the CP passes (usually the case), then you'll be entering on the temporary green card visa (or whatever the stamp that you get pending the arrival of the physical card is called).

Afaik, you would be in status if your H1B extension is pending, but I'm not sure whether you can enter/leave the US in this situation -- maybe, although, again, I don't think this matters for the CP interview in that you won't be re-entering on the H1B one way or another.

Note: in my case I'm nearing the end of my *1st* H1B, so the next one should be good well into 2006, although I'll likely apply for an EAD "just to be safe" (especially with the bill to kill of H1B's floating around, although I can't imagine they'd pass this -- my company would very likely be crippled if this were to happen).

Also, I hope the 6-8 months for I-140 is accurate. I'm thought these were starting to approach 13 months at VSC, depending on your EB category (EB3 is currently about 1 month ahead of EB2 fwiw). There are reports that I-140's take less time to process if they aren't tied to a concurrent I-485 filing so you may get the I-140 more quickly since you are going the CP route, although this isn't something that I've seen definitively confirmed anywhere.

And, don't forget the time it will take to get the CP interview (once the I-140 is approved). I looked into this for the Montreal consulate (I'm from Canada) and at cptracker.com, the last 6 entries for Montreal averaged around 9 months to get through their interview, with one person taking 14 months. I understand that at least some people get through more quickly and that the processing time can be greatly affected by how quickly you/your lawyer respond to requests and whether everything goes smoothly (nothing missing).

From what I can tell, the most optimistic I-140 through CP interview processing times are around 9 months currently, with this possibly taking 20 months or longer (I wish I could nail this down a bit more but I haven't been able to so far).

ETA

Thanks ETA, Can I file I-485 after I-140 with CP is approved.

Just to be clear, you're asking if you can switch to AOS (I-485) after the I-140 is approved but before you've completed the CP interview, right? i.e. you realize that you generally do *either* CP *or* AOS and you generally specify this when you file the I-140.

Yes, you can switch afaik, but you probably wouldn't want to do this. If you want to do AOS, you'd normally decide this at the time that you file the I-I40 (by not specifying CP on the I-140) and you would file the I-485 concurrently with the I-140 (this has been possible for about 1 year now) to speed things up.

If you wait for the I-140 then switch to CP, you will be starting the I-485 process from scratch at that point whereas you'd potentially be only 6-9 months or so away from the CP interview. Switching from CP to AOS can also take a while as I believe you will have to file a form to request this (possibly the same I-824 form that you would use to switch from AOS to CP).

Maybe what you really want to do is simply go the AOS route from day 1 which will give you an EAD should your H1B status end. The conventional wisdom is that CP is much faster, but at this point in time anyway, AOS through VCS doesn't appear to be any slower compared to CP (through Montreal). AOS is probably more convenient (no trip to foreign consulate) and somewhat safer if you're employment situation is at all in doubt due to AC21.

FWIW its somewhat more common to see people go the other way, from AOS to CP, usually because they get fed up with the AOS delays, although depending on the timing, the BCIS might see this as a "frivolous" switch or "working the system" which can invoke their wrath. To switch, you file an I-824 to ask the BCIS to forward your file for CP and this can take up to 8 months (*some* consulates may accept what is called AC I-140 which avoids much of this delay). But, afaik, abondoning AOS voids any EAD that you have so you won't be able to do this if you no longer have a valid work visa (e.g. if your H1B is expired).

ETA

I-140 vs 485

I know we have talked about this many times, but Just checking to see what better as of today.

I-140 takes : 9-10 months
CP for interview takes 6-8 months

So in All 16-18 months for GC.

Does any one know how much time it takes for 485.

One more case to update from our company

Out of 3 cases received by Philly on May 27th 2003
One got certified on July 17th 2003
Case Number is 033909XX

My case was also received on 27th.. All the three cases were filed from delaware in mid Oct

Out of the three one is my case, but hard to tell because all three has the same salary and DOT code

Good Luck.

hey RK..
I am pretty sure you will your Labour by next week man .
All october cases are out . I know my friend filed on OCT last day. He got cleared few days back ..

Next is ur turn

Best of Luck.
Kishu
Originally posted by rkk2000
One more case to update from our company

Out of 3 cases received by Philly on May 27th 2003
One got certified on July 17th 2003
Case Number is 033909XX

My case was also received on 27th.. All the three cases were filed from delaware in mid Oct

Out of the three one is my case, but hard to tell because all three has the same salary and DOT code

Good Luck.

Do we need H1B visa after EAD is approved

DO WE NEED H1B VISA AFTER EAD IS APPROVED, BUT 485 AND I-140 ARE NOT YET APPROVED. ??????

Re: Do we need H1B visa after EAD is approved

Yes you need to have H1 B visa till you reach 485+ 6 months for safety ..
What happen if your 140 gets denied .. In that case you certainly need H1B with you .

DO WE NEED H1B VISA AFTER EAD IS APPROVED, BUT 485 AND I-140 ARE NOT YET APPROVED. ??????

Status
Not open for further replies.