Philadelphia PA - N-400 Timeline

Interview experience

The interview was at 1:40 pm, the traffic was not bad at all, I arrived at Philadelphia with time to spare but could find no place to park and ended up going to the parking lot at Callowhill and Broad (two blocks from the building), the parking lot is very convenient, easy and fast to pull in and out. Walked to the building and found a small queue in front of me, also was delayed a couple of minutes while the security officer checked my laptop, they were all very professional and friendly. I went to the second floor and gave my appointment letter and driver’s license to the receptionist; it was 1:50 pm. The receptionist asked me to wait until called; there were 25 other people in the room, all including me, wearing professional attire; however there were two men wearing sneakers which I thought it was peculiar. I was called at 2:00 pm. The IO was an older gentleman very courteous and professional asked me to follow him to his office, administered the oath to tell the truth and asked me to sit. Then he said he would request my driver’s license, passport and green card which I produced. He reviewed them and gave them back. Following that, he asked for my full name, date of birth, address, phone numbers, name of my wife, if we lived together, whether she was a native or naturalized citizen, if we have children, when had I traveled out of the country and the questions from the N-400. Subsequently he asked me to read a sentence, “where is the white house?”, then to write, the white house is in Washington DC. With what seemed like a subtle chuckle he said I had passed the English test and now it was time for the history test. He asked, What is an amendment?, Who signs bills to become law?, What is the supreme law of the land?, What is the capital of your state?, Who did the united states fight in World War II?, Who vetoes bills?. He counted the questions, said I answered everything correctly and had passed the test, he gave me a document attesting of that fact and said that he was going to give me a choice to have the oath next week, to which I said yes. He then gave me the oath letter and that was it. It was 2:09 pm; it took me longer to write this. He did not ask for any other documents or clarifications.

I have my interview on April 1 in Philly. Anyone have an idea when the earliest oath ceremony after that is?

Thanks JMG. I see from your signature it was only 5 business days between ID and OD. Hopefully it's as quick for me.

Yes, they told me that in March and possibly April they will do the ceremonies on Mondays, so you may have your ceremony the Monday following your interview. Even faster!. Now, if you prefer to wait sitting and not standing, I recommend to go extra early. They told me to be there at 10:30 am (the ceremony starts at 11 am) but by then there was a line that went around the building. I only made it in at 11:40 am, so more that an hour standing when I could have been sitting inside all that time.

I had a FP on 3/16, and today I got a mail about the interview on 4/25. Unfortunately I can not go there on that date, I sent a mail to ask for changing date.
I have had a trouble. They are asking to bring my old (expired) passport as well as a current one. I think they want to check how long I have stayed outside US.
But when I got a current one, I threw away old one!
I wonder if they definitely need it for interview. Could someone tell me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, they told me that in March and possibly April they will do the ceremonies on Mondays, so you may have your ceremony the Monday following your interview. Even faster!. Now, if you prefer to wait sitting and not standing, I recommend to go extra early. They told me to be there at 10:30 am (the ceremony starts at 11 am) but by then there was a line that went around the building. I only made it in at 11:40 am, so more that an hour standing when I could have been sitting inside all that time.

Thanks for this information. I completed my interview on April 1 and received my oath for a Monday, April 11th. I'll make sure to arrive early as you suggested.

Interview experience is here -> http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?320583-2011-January-N-400-tracker&p=2283779#post2283779

One other thing. My interview was scheduled at 11:20. Wife's at 1:20. We both went in around 10:45. The IO was very courteous and mentioned to me that she'll try to call my wife before 1:00. She was called in at around 12:45. So it was good that we both went in together instead of going in at our respective scheduled times.

Other than that, parking was a problem. Couldn't find one close by. I finally parked at Spring Garden and Broad for 11.50$. Though not close, it was OK.

Yes, parking can be a problem, I recommend going directly to a parking lot, it is more expensive, but for a few extra bucks one can gain peace of mind. There is one on Callowhill and Broad, two blocks from the building, it is a bit expensive ($15) but quite convenient, easy in and easy out.
Enjoy the ceremony!!

US Citizen now :). Oath ceremony in Philly was for 69 people from 33 countries. It took about 2 hours. Pretty much as expected.

For the 2:00 PM ceremony, we arrive at the security check at noon. We were turned away since it was too soon and the 11:00 AM ceremony was still going on and asked to come back at 1:00PM. We did briefly enjoy the great summer like weather for half an hour and returned at 12:30 PM. This time they let us in and seated us in the first floor area (to the right of the entrance) as a courtesy. Around 1-1:15AM we were directed to the 4th floor and were among the first 3-4 people to arrive. I was surprised to see people still strolling in late even at 2:15-2:30 PM.

They started collecting GC and checking documentation from 2:00 to around 2:45. The proper oath ceremony started after that. Not going to go into detail about that since I don't want to spoil the experience for you.

After the ceremony, I was expecting to apply for my US passport as in other USCIS locations. However, they only had voter registration forms. I applied today morning at the USPS.

As for parking, this time I parked in an open lot at Franklin Town Blvd (N 17th St intersection). It was a little closer. Directions -> When coming from 16th st, pass the USCIS building (the one with the big "1600 Callowhill" sign/canopy). Take immediate left (Callowhill St) and the next immediate left (N 17th St) and then left on Franklin Town Blvd. Parking entrance is on left. $12 for whole day.

Thanks all for the help throughout this process. Good luck to the others who are in the process.

Hi guys:

I had mi interview in Philladelphia. I passed the english and history test but the IO told me that a decision cannot yet be made about my application and gave me a N652.... the IO also told they send me a letter asking for some more documents. My interview was on April 6th and still waiting for such letter. Do you think it can delay my process? Does anyone had a similar experience?

Is anyone waiting for an oath in Philadelphia DO?
Has anyone requested a name change?

-Waiting for my Oath since beginning of March...

I live in Bucks county. But, I was told that Bucks County does not conduct the name change ceremonies. The IO told me at the interview that I will be taking the oath at the United States District Court Eastern District of PA.

I went to ASC today for FP, plenty of parking on site, I was the first in line, opened 8am, 8:10am I was out of there! great experience. :)

I live in Bucks county. But, I was told that Bucks County does not conduct the name change ceremonies. The IO told me at the interview that I will be taking the oath at the United States District Court Eastern District of PA.

may i know have you taken your oath yet? I filed my N-400 with a name change and will be taken interview on July 12, and just wanna have an estimation on the processing time.