Permanent job after GC - Pl reply

pm02368

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,
Got the GC approved and got the passport stamped. I guess, now I am free to switch the job though I haven't got the plastic card yet.

My question, What does the HR department from the new company will expect from me as a proof of GC? The plastic card, stamped passport or just the social security card? Pl reply.

Thanks in advance.
:mad: => ;) => :cool: => :confused:

pm02368 said:
Hi All,
Got the GC approved and got the passport stamped. I guess, now I am free to switch the job though I haven't got the plastic card yet.

My question, What does the HR department from the new company will expect from me as a proof of GC? The plastic card, stamped passport or just the social security card? Pl reply.

Thanks in advance.

Stamped passport is the proof of GC.
In addition, you can go to SSA office and get a new social security card, showing your stamped passport. SSA will remove the INS authorization condition and issue a new card.

pralay said:
Stamped passport is the proof of GC.
In addition, you can go to SSA office and get a new social security card, showing your stamped passport. SSA will remove the INS authorization condition and issue a new card.
Are you sure about this one? No one suggested this one until now.

tammy2 said:
Are you sure about this one? No one suggested this one until now.

I am sure and did it myself.
There is nothing wrong to keep the old card with the INS condition statement becuase your SSN is always same. Number does not change. However when you provide the your SSN card to your new employment, HR can raise his/her eyebrow. Probably that's the only reason you need it. Otherwise, your old card is good enough.

pm02368 said:
Hi All,

Thanks in advance.

No, you can't switch job now. You must stay in your GC sponsor company at least 6 months after getting GC. There is no freedom even after GC!

No, you can't switch job now. You must stay in your GC sponsor company at least 6 months after getting GC. There is no freedom even after GC!
----- That is correct, you should stick to employer whose letter was base of your I-485 approval ( AC21 regulations have not been published till date we dont know what will be published) if you immidiatly change the employer you may have problems in future or at the time of citizenship.

Speculation or a firm rule?

I know quite a few people said that dont change job after getting GC but before six months. I am wondering where you guys heard of this? Or this is just a rumor? Any proof?

ginnu said:
----- That is correct, you should stick to employer whose letter was base of your I-485 approval ( AC21 regulations have not been published till date we dont know what will be published) if you immidiatly change the employer you may have problems in future or at the time of citizenship.

quail said:
I know quite a few people said that dont change job after getting GC but before six months. I am wondering where you guys heard of this? Or this is just a rumor? Any proof?
-----------Company files LC for you for future job
Company files I-140 for you for Future permanent job
You file I-485 or go for CP
GC is for FUTURE PERMANENT job to work permanently with company who filed GC for you

If you read the above you understand GC is for Future job, so what you are trying to say is that you get GC on 1st June 2004 for company X future job OFFER and want to go with company A B C, D on 2nd June 2004 or want to leave X the day GC is approved. It simply means that YOU are not going to do future permanent job with GC sponsor X and you committed immigration Fraud for getting ONLY GC Not to do job with X and company X is also party to that. If you work with the company X for 2-3 months AND Company X gives you letter after GC that they don’t have job then you don’t have problems because company does not have job, but if you leave X immediately after GC then problems for you. Many lawyers say work with X minimum 6 months and no problem because that is the conservative approach. You can read Rajiv S Khanna FAQ or any lawyers FAQ or ask the lawyer you trustand lawyer will give you the "proof" you are asking.

switched already..what next?

Friends,
After over two years of wait my 485 got approved on 5/21/2004, but the date of approval was my last date with employer A who filed my GC. Things happened in such a way that on 5/24 I started with employer B due to forces of nature. Based on what Ginnu says its a "problem" ??!! Am going to Chicago office to get my stamping this Wed. Will let you know what happens, but any thoughts as of now??

Thanks
Uniq

uniq said:
Friends,
After over two years of wait my 485 got approved on 5/21/2004, but the date of approval was my last date with employer A who filed my GC. Things happened in such a way that on 5/24 I started with employer B due to forces of nature.
Based on what Ginnu says its a "problem" ??!!

Am going to Chicago office to get my stamping this Wed. Will let you know what happens, but any thoughts as of now??
------------------ You will get GC stamp on wed and stamping may not be problem but if they ask the new letter of employer A you dont be having letter as they dont have job . I will discuss with good lawyer before I go for Stamping. I think AC21 can be only used before approval of I-485, you could have provided the B letter better ask the lawyer

Good Luck!!

duke_of_ca said:
Ginnu,

How is your passport stamping?
---- who told you I have passport stamping or I have GC or H1 or Citizenship??
I am in the same boat as you. Hope everything is fine.
------- you are not in the same boat, I am not in any BOAT, I am on ship :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ginnu,

Sorry for the confusion.

As to my case, it is a little bit better. Quitting the job 3 days before getting GC approval. And getting the new job on the same day of approval. New job is equivalent to the old job. In my case, I believe there is no issue in terms of AC21 for my case. Hope Uniq can update his result.

Theoretically I agree that there may be a problem after you change job immediately. However, as long as the job is equivalent to the original one, it does not make sense at all to say that the applicant is fraud for green card(this is the reason why to keep the original job for certain period and AC21 redefine the landscape!). The spirit of AC21 is to protect the job mobility for those who apply for GC. On the other hand, there is no law saying one can not change job within 6 months. I think this is a gray area which USCIS never tries to explain clearly ( they wish to view the case by case). All of this should follow what the law conveys.

Duke

duke_of_ca said:
Hi Ginnu,

Sorry for the confusion.

As to my case, it is a little bit better. Quitting the job 3 days before getting GC approval. And getting the new job on the same day of approval. New job is equivalent to the old job. In my case, I believe there is no issue in terms of AC21 for my case. Hope Uniq can update his result.

Theoretically I agree that there may be a problem after you change job immediately. However, as long as the job is equivalent to the original one, it does not make sense at all to say that the applicant is fraud for green card(this is the reason why to keep the original job for certain period and AC21 redefine the landscape!). The spirit of AC21 is to protect the job mobility for those who apply for GC. On the other hand, there is no law saying one can not change job within 6 months. I think this is a gray area which USCIS never tries to explain clearly ( they wish to view the case by case). All of this should follow what the law conveys.

-----Dear, discuss your case with good immigration lawyer not with the lawyer who just knows how to fill up the formsand makes mistake on forms

Duke

This is new, not only to the applicants, but also to the law practitioners(change job after GC approval). Only time will tell.

BTW, my case is a common AC21 case(change job just before GC approval).

Hi Ginnu, Duke,
Sorry I couldn't reply sooner. I did get my stamping - no problems at all. In fact no questions asked. It was a 5 min. procedure at Chicago office. I gave the approval letter and passport, the officer put the chapa on. I asked her if she needed anything else from me - none! I did consult my attorney before going. She said I need not worry, though she wants me to hang on to my resignation letter etc etc. for I may need those when I file for citizenship :)
Uniq

Congratulation.

When you apply for citizen, you need to fill a bio, as you did for GC. It is the only one that may raise the concern on this issue. But I think this is not a big issue.

Duke