PERM and physicians

vijayalakhmi

Seeking advice from the forum adm and members:
Will appreciate any input regarding the new PERM legislation on physicians processing their labor certs. Has anybody been able to re-file from RIR to PERM? What level of prevailing wage is advisable? Can we file 2 separate petitions from the same employer - one in RIR and the other in PERM?
Finally, After obtaining EAD+180 days, If one was to pursue fellowship, would there be a problem with lowered wage earnings during fellowship?
Appreciate any advice please!

vijayalakhmi said:
Seeking advice from the forum adm and members:
Will appreciate any input regarding the new PERM legislation on physicians processing their labor certs. Has anybody been able to re-file from RIR to PERM? What level of prevailing wage is advisable? Can we file 2 separate petitions from the same employer - one in RIR and the other in PERM?
Finally, After obtaining EAD+180 days, If one was to pursue fellowship, would there be a problem with lowered wage earnings during fellowship?
Appreciate any advice please!

vijayalaksmi
1. One can file for PERM for the same job even if you have a RIR pending with the BRC. This may change in the near future. RIR can be converted to PERM however one has to go thro recruitment precedures under the PERM regulations all over again. Converting from RIR to PERM makes sences only in terms of retaining the PD (of the RIR), which is a big deal with upcoming retrogression. However an application that is converted from RIR to PERM will take more time than a routine PERM (apparently they have to get the file from BRC to compare etc). We still have not a single PERM approval so we do not know what constitutes a routine PERM application.
2. I do not know much about prevailing wage except that for Internal medicine in Texas it came out to be $153000 (kind of high!!).
3. After I 140 approval and 180 days pending from I 485 application, one can change to a job with same desription as described in ETA 750 part A, so as to make use of AC21. I do not see how one can change to a fellowship and keep the GC process alive.

Dear Permperm,
Thanks for the insight. I am in so much of a dilemma. The threat of losing the priority date would pre-empt folks like me from countries like India from applying through PERM. At the same time not doing so would mean risking retrogression which is imminently anticipated for EB2. This would mean more years of bonded labor while the employers continue to eat away at the fruits of our labor!
They even manage confuse us further with more levels of prevailing wage. Does anybody have an idea what level would be applicable for an internist in Michigan 2 years out of residency? When I showed the OES figures to the boss he almost hit the ceiling!
As for as fellowship is concerned, if one can't use the AC-21 to unshackle ourselves, at what stage can we safely expect to switch? Since my PD is march 2004, at which fellowship match year can I safely plan for through RIR/PERM and with or without EB2 retrogression? I would really appreciate your advice.

there is another problem which u might not have anticipated. even if 140 is cleared 1.u cant file for 485 till the 3 years of waiver is over
2.even after that if the retro hits Eb2 ,485 will not be processed if the date is not current

GC processing thru PERM

Hi

A employer is about to process my GC thru PERM. The charges he mentioned for the whole process is USD 9,500/-
Kindly let me know the following things

1) Is this amount is correct or the employer is over charging me.

2) What are the steps, sequential procedures to get the GC from "begining" to the "end".
3) Since iam In india, how does this GC would reach me,
4) Through your experience , pls give me the points that i need to takecare and important steps/check that i need to do.
5) How do i know under what EB category i fall. I am an IT professional with 9+ yrs of experience
6) How long does the whole process would take, What are the notices/documents i should expect from my employer or the USA immigration dept.

Appriciate your advice or help

GC processing thru PERM

Hi

A employer is about to process my GC thru PERM. The charges he mentioned for the whole process is USD 9,500/-

1) Is this amount is correct or the employer is over charging me.

2) What are the steps, sequential procedures to get the GC from "begining" to the "end".
3) Since iam In india, how does this GC would reach me,
4) Through your experience , pls give me the points that i need to takecare and important steps/check that i need to do.
5) How do i know under what EB category i fall. I am an IT professional with 9+ yrs of experience
6) How long does the whole process would take, What are the notices/documents i should expect from my employer or the USA immigration dept.

Appreciate your help/advice for the above.

thanks and regards

vijayalakhmi said:
Dear Permperm,
Thanks for the insight. I am in so much of a dilemma. The threat of losing the priority date would pre-empt folks like me from countries like India from applying through PERM. At the same time not doing so would mean risking retrogression which is imminently anticipated for EB2. This would mean more years of bonded labor while the employers continue to eat away at the fruits of our labor!
They even manage confuse us further with more levels of prevailing wage. Does anybody have an idea what level would be applicable for an internist in Michigan 2 years out of residency? When I showed the OES figures to the boss he almost hit the ceiling!
As for as fellowship is concerned, if one can't use the AC-21 to unshackle ourselves, at what stage can we safely expect to switch? Since my PD is march 2004, at which fellowship match year can I safely plan for through RIR/PERM and with or without EB2 retrogression? I would really appreciate your advice.

Vijayalakhmi:
1. One can change to fellowship safetly only after I-485 approval.
2. Given that not a single PERM application has been approved, and with the looming EB2 retrogression, it it impossible to guess as to when this GC maddenss will be over.
Establishing a practise under NIW (after waiver period is done) in a MUA/HPSA and waiting for 5 years may be faster. In the least, we will be the boss and with hardwork may make a good living. LC does not seem to be fast route to GC anymore.

HHANDHH said:
Hi

1) Is this amount is correct or the employer is over charging me. YES. Normally 3 to 4.5K plus advertisement charges $500 to 750. But employer sponsership gift may any amount , because it is a favor to you.
2) What are the steps, sequential procedures to get the GC from "begining" to the "end". First your employer must be stable until your GC is approved (5 to 7 Years total)3) Since iam In india, how does this GC would reach me,
4) Through your experience , pls give me the points that i need to takecare and important steps/check that i need to do. Employer has to prove that nobody is in US to do the job. Employer has to prove , he is going to keep the job open until you come to US to do the job??? 5) How do i know under what EB category i fall. Depends on the job title/ description not based on your MS degree. I am an IT professional with 9+ yrs of experience. The job title may not require 9+ yrs exp and may not be considered for Labor certifications.6) How long does the whole process would take, What are the notices/documents i should expect from my employer or the USA immigration dept. 5 to 7 Years depends on the region. If the job market for IT personnel goes like Y 2000, LC may not be get approved. Many RIR (case for IT) in CSC got rejected from DOL to go for ordinary process Since this is a lengthy process, employer may suck your money with out any end results and no gurantee for getting a GC.
Appreciate your help/advice for the above.

thanks and regards

Last edited by a moderator:
any feedback on the PW wages , another friend of mine who is a Pediatrician also got PW for 150,000 in FL but the lawyer is requesting another PW