PCC from India

forsms2002:

You mistook my question. I was asking about the Crime Branch PCC and whether you got it based on the RPO PCC.

Your post answered my question as it seems it doesn't matter whether one has an RPO PCC, the Crime Branch PCC takes time.

There is no link between the PCC from RPO and PCC from Police dept.

PCC from RPO will be issued in one day (if the passport was issued after 1997)

Police authorities may take time, But you can speed up the process in indian way.

cpzinga:

You are right, there is no connection.

We went to the CID office at Crawford Market last week (28th April). The guy there was very courteous, maybe because we spoke in Marathi. We tried convincing him that we needed the PCC quickly (before 3rd May). He said that there are ways to get it done quickly but why try it when you have nothing fraudulent in your case. Though he did give us a letter to hand-deliver to the local police station so that our process is not delayed. Usually, they send this letter through official means which can take time. They charge Rs.100 per person and on the receipt they mention the probable date (29th May) and a phone no to contact for finding out the status of our PCC application.

Anyway, bottom line is we went to the interview without the local police station PCC. After the interview, I enquired with the local police station and they confirmed that they had cleared us and sent the file back to the Crawford market office. So now the wait begins for the PCC :)

Got the PCC from CID today. It took about a month and a lot of phone calls and talking in Marathi that quickened the process (I think :)).

cpzinga:

Thanks. My interview was on 3rd may and our visas were kept on hold just becoz of PCC. I just have to submit the PCC and get the visas.

When we apply for PCC in US we get our passport stamped along with a certificate, does the same rule apply for the PCC from India ???

Thanks

Yes, when the PCC is issued from the RPO, the passport is stamped. However, when the PCC is issued from the Police, the passport is not stamped.

PCC related Question

Dear Friends,

I am currently in Mumbai, India(since last one month) and I am not sure, if anyone has gone thro' it before. Here is my case(AC140)

> I used to live in New-Bombay area from 1991 to 1998.

> Moved to USA in July 1998.

> I140 approved during April-2002
>I485 applied during May-2002
>Got bored with the long wait in AOS and switched to AC140 during May'2004.

Left USA on May 15, 2004 and reached Mumbai on May 16, 2004. My employer allowed me to work remotely for few months. My attorney sent all papers to US consulate in Mumbai and I got the case# from consulate. Upon enquiry, they told me that, my interview will be in August' 2004. After reaching Mumbai, I rented a flat and I have been living there.

While leaving united states, I didn't take the PCC from Indian consulate. After reaching Mumbai, I went to Regional Passpor office in Bengal chemical building and got the PCC from them next day. Actually, I should have got it in one day, but the line was very long. It took us 4 hrs to reach the counter. So they asked to me and my wife to collect the PCC "in person" next day. My passport was issued in Mumbai during May-1196.

Then I went to submit the forms for Local PCC. The officer in the CID special Branch (behind JJ school of Arts/Times of India building), told that, you can get a local PCC, only if you have stayed in your current address for more than One year. And as I have been living in my current address just for past one month, there is no way, he can issue me a PCC. ....BUMMER....

What should I do now ? should I explain this situation to US consulate in Mumbai and seek their opinion ? Any one with similar experience ? Any suggestion/advice ? Do I need a local PCC ?

DBM,

PCC is issued for locations where you have stayed for more than 6 months (i think). Considering that, I would say ideally you should have the PCC from the Indian consulate in the US.

Given that you may not be able to do that now (unless you travel back and get it??), I would say the best option would be to get the PCC for the address in New Mumbai where you stayed from 1991 to 1998. Is that the address on your passport? Though I am not sure if this will work with the US consulate.

Alternatively, if your passport has the New Mumbai address, you might try to get it changed to the new address where you are staying. If that can be done, there would be a police inquiry and your PCC from the police would get easier.

Its a toughie...any particular reason why you chose not to get the PCC from US? In any case, I would suggest try speaking to somebody from the Consulate and explain your case.

All the best.

Amol,

Thanks for the best wishes and quick reply. Really appreciate your help and response. yeah, I should have got that from Indian consulate in San Francisco. Actually, I didn't know anything about the AC140 option until last week of April. I haven't seen anyone ever discussing AC140 in 485 thread (CSC thread at least). I had plans to go on vacation during May. So when I came to know about AC140, I also requested my lawyer to send the papers to Mumbai consulate. After reaching India, I came to know that, Mumbai consulate might accept my case and I decided to extend my vacation and requested my employer to allow me to work remotely for sometime. So I didn't have time in San Francisco to get the PCC. Anyway, I came to know that, my case is acccepted and I have a case# now.

Well, for the address of New Mumbai, I don't stay there any more. Yes, my passport has that address. Also, New Mumbai dosn't fall under the jurisdiction of Mumbai CID special branch, that issues PCC. Any idea anyone about the PCC issuing authority of New Mumbai ?

Do you think, changing the address in my passport to my current address will help ? I don't think so, because they are not going to accept the application for a place where you haven't stayed more than one year. They clearly told me that, they will not issue PCC for just couple of months.

Yeah, I am also planning to send an email to US consulate and shall ask them this question. I think, the PCC issued by Indian consulates abroad and the Regional passport offices here in India should solve the same purpose. They get the clearance from the passport issuing office in India and then issue a PCC. Thats why, one has to wait for 30days in US to get a PCC (unless the passport issued by the consulate). So whats wrong, if I get the PCC directly from the local passport office instead of the consulate ?

Also, I don't think the PCC issued by Indian consulates in USA is the clearance for your stay in US. Probably not. If anyone has gone thro' the candian/australian immigration procedures(while living in USA), the PCC for your stay in US is given by FBI. Thats a complete separate procedure. I am sure, they must be doing extensive background checks internally, based upon the SSN, if you have stayed in USA before. Anyway, I might be wrong. Thats just my $0.02

Amol,
My wife has taken her PCC from RPO but they did not put stamp on her Passport, they gave a letter with a stamp on it (that's what she said) is it OK ?

Thanks

vm1214:

The letter is what is required by the US consulate. However, I am pretty sure they would have put a stamp saying something like '..endorsement..PCC issued...' on one of the pages of the passport. She doesn't have to bothered about that stamp though.

DBM:

To find out who issues PCC for New Mumbai, visit the local police station in New Mumbai. They will be able to tell you for sure where you can get the PCC from. It would also help to ask them, how you could get the PCC.

Do you have any relative who stays in Mumbai? If so, you could try and prove that you stay there (like a society letter, affidavit) and get the PCC.

DBM, the US consulate doesn't allow you to get just the PCC from Passport office. Since the Police station PCC took time, I went for my interview with just the PCC from Passport office. The consular officer still made me come back with the PCC from the police station (which I got a month later) and they kept my visa pending.

Hi All,

In order to avoid the last minute rush I am in the process of collecting PCC’s in advance for the interview in Delhi (Aug/Sep). For the PCC from the local police station (Hauz Khas, South Delhi); they are demanding “Letter/Instruction of the Embassy demanding the Police Clearance Certificate”. I believe that I will receive this letter only along with the Packet 4 from the Embassy; or is there any other way of getting this letter or instruction from the embassy? The police authorities said that on an average it takes 30 days to issue the PCC after police verification. I don’t think I will have that much time after receiving Packet 4 from embassy. What should I do now?

Shibu

sm_delhi:

The letter from the consulate indicating that you require PCC from local police will be included in Packet 4 only. You will have to wait till you get packet 4 (either through post or you collecting it personally when it is ready at the consulate).

You needn't worry too much abt the PCC from Local police. I too couldn't the PCC from local police in time before the interview (I had the one from the passport office). My interview went through smoothly but they kept the visa pending till I got the PCC. I went back to the consulate abt a month later with the PCC and got the visa.

Same Situation(Help with PCC)

Guys,

I am also in the same boat. My interview is in bombay on July-20th & there's no way for me to get a PCC from here(Chicago - taking 45 days) in US(okay folks that's already a mistake on my part).

Wife is from Nagpur, so we are trying to get one from there & one from Pune.

Not sure how to get from the RPO & if this is mandatory. For RPO, I think physical presence is required.

Folks, please help & let me know.

Z

zimby02 said:
Guys,

I am also in the same boat. My interview is in bombay on July-20th & there's no way for me to get a PCC from here(Chicago - taking 45 days) in US(okay folks that's already a mistake on my part).

{ Zimby, if you are so sure of not able to produce the PCC call the consulate and postpone your interview date why you are planning to get stuck}

Wife is from Nagpur, so we are trying to get one from there & one from Pune.

{ you mean to say your wife is not in US, if no and if she is staying for more than six months in US then she need to produce US PCC}

Not sure how to get from the RPO & if this is mandatory. For RPO, I think physical presence is required.

Folks, please help & let me know.

{Better advice postpone your interview for next month}

Z

Local PCC not required if you are in US

HI Zimby,

I am not sure, but I am in similar boat. I came to Bombay during May for a vacation and now I have extended my stay until August as my interview is likely to be held in August.

My passport was issued from Bombay in 1996, so I got my PCC from them within a day. Then I called US consulate and explained the guy that I couldn't bring the PCC from US and I am here on a short vacation only and that I got my PCC from passport office here and that Indian consulates in US issue PCC only after consulting the passport office in India that has issued the passport.

The guy then asked me.. "whats the problem?" .. I told him thta, I am not able to get a local PCC as I am here just since last one month. He bluntly told me that, "I don't need a local PCC" . I tried to ask him his name, but he said, for security reasons, they are not suppose to tell their name. Of course I wrote them an email asking the same, they never replied back.

I think, If you are in US and coming to India for passport stamping, then a PCC from either Indian consulate in US or the passport office that issued your passport here in India is enough. If you are in India and have applied for an immigrant visa while living in India, then you need a local PCC as well as PCC from RPO.

Again, thats what I think (based on the discussion I had with the consulate people yesterday) and thats just my opinion.

-DBM