PCC from India

amolnaik

Registered Users (C)
Had posted this question under a diff thread but realized not everybody might be looking at that thread so posting again.

I may need to get PCC from India (RPO and police station).

Guys, could you please post your experience of obtaining these in India?

1. How much time it takes? I suppose 30-40 days from RPO if passport was issued before 1997 (which is my case).

2. Do I need to be physically present to submit the request for PCC to RPO and police station? Can the request be made on my behalf by my parents/wife?

3. Do I need to be physically present from the time I submit the request for PCC to RPO and Police station to the time I obtain the PCC from them?

PCC

If you are currently in US, you will have to get the PCC from the regional Indian Consulate. It takes about 45 days to get the PCC through the Indian Consualte in US.

If you are in US, you don't have to do anything else but apply for a PCC from Indian consulate in US.

If you are in India presntly, then you will need a PCC from every police station since age 18.

Thanks.

amolnaik

I got PCC from Mumbai police for my wife because Mumbai consulate said (via email reply) that she would need one for the consular interview. My interpretation was that she had been in the US for 6 months only before CP interview. I got one for myself (just in case) too. Neither of us was asked for the local PCC.

If you are in Mumbai, the procedure is straightforward. You will have to initiate that with the crime branch HQ. The inquiry will be done by the police station in your residential area and the report sent back to HQ. You may have to go to the local police station during the inquiry - I will confirm this one.

Mumbai police has an application form for PCCs and it lists all the documents that are needed. My father applied for the local PCCs on our behalf and the officer at the HQ was okay with that. Neither my wife nor I had to go there personally to collect the certificate. If you apply early, you should be able to get the local PCC in a month.

I do not know about the Regional Passport Office procedure.

Hope this helps.

Timeline for PCC from Indian Consulate

Doers it actually take the consulate 45 days to provide the PCC regularly or is that just a guideline. I have to apply for one but also I have to travel internationally in late may and have to apply for visa from other countries. Just wanted to know the realistic timeline for the PCC

Re: Timeline for PCC from Indian Consulate

Originally posted by srisubra
Doers it actually take the consulate 45 days to provide the PCC regularly or is that just a guideline. I have to apply for one but also I have to travel internationally in late may and have to apply for visa from other countries. Just wanted to know the realistic timeline for the PCC

It surely takes between 35 to 45 days to get the PCC if the passport was issued in India. But if the passport was re-issued after its' initial expiry period in US, then PCC comes faster, usually with in a day.

If the passport is issued by the INdian consulate in US, the individual can also get it onthe same day, if s/he makes a personal visit to the embassy. Otherwise it's the shipment time + 1 day.

If the passport was issued in India and the individual doesn't want to submit the passport intially, photocopies are accepted for request for PCC. After about 5 - 6 weeks, once the inquiry is over the consulate will request you to send the original passport for stamping.

Thanks.

PCC from Mumbai

I am a Mumbai CP case staying in India. When I went to my local police station, they forwarded me to the Police HQ/CBI(PHQ/CBI henceforth). Its behind Times of India Building near CST (erstwhile VT) railway station. The place is something like this "G"-Branch, SB(I)(II). on 1st Floor. There's a short-cut if u go from JJ School of Arts compound. They will give u a form for each person. and ask a Demand Draft of Rs100/- per person. Two photographs of each person. I enquired about the time and they said it will take around a month. This 1 month should not matter for two reasons:
1)Since you can fill the DS-230 Part-1 and send wihout waiting for the PCC as all this is required at the time of interview
2)after u send the Packet-3 it takes 3-4 weeks for the NVC to evaluate than 1 week to send it to the mumbai consualte and after that 1-2 months to get interview date
(Correct me if I am wrong on the above)

One more thing, by what I talked with guys around, if you get the Police clearance from Regional Passport office first, than getting from the PHQ/CBI is easy. i.e. once I have the police clearance from Regional Passport Office than based on that, the PHQ/CBI will give in 1 day. Other guys on the board could through some light on this???

I plan to go to RPO first and then go for the PHQ/CBI.

I will share with the board my experiences than as and one I step forward.

forsms2002:

I am sure with the information you have shared around PCC from india, future cp candidates residing in india, especially mumbai are likely to benefit! Good job sharing this knowledge!

CG Washington says PCC takes 15 days

I just got off the phone from CGI washington and the guy on the phone said that the PCC should not take more than 15 days and he said that the fees for PCC is $40.

Is this some recent change or is there something I am missing here. I told the guy on the phone specifically that my passport was issued in India in 1996 and he said no problem.

$40 !! Wow. When did this change?

As far as Feb, it was still $11 + courier charges at Houston.

nj - are'nt you bit late ... you file was sent to embassy Feb 2003 and you are still lurking around here trying to get a PCC !!! :D ;) :D

Hi alren

Yeah I am bit late but I could not do it earlier since I needed my passport with me.

$40 was exactly what surprised me and then the fact that it was only 15 days.
Could it be that this charge includes the courier charges too. Maybe I should call up again and check.

Otherwise I was planning to get the PCC stamped once I reached India but if it is 15 days I can do it here itself.

Originally posted by njcpdel
Hi alren

Yeah I am bit late but I could not do it earlier since I needed my passport with me.

$40 was exactly what surprised me and then the fact that it was only 15 days.
Could it be that this charge includes the courier charges too. Maybe I should call up again and check.

Otherwise I was planning to get the PCC stamped once I reached India but if it is 15 days I can do it here itself.

Actually I was just kidding. Your signature says file sent to embassay Feb 2003 .

I would recommend just take the PCC from here rather then hassle with the bureaucracy, assuming U still have abt. 20+ days. Is your date scheduled?

hi alren

Well my dat is not scheduled yet and last time I checked with NWD was in mid march and they said to check at the end of march. So I am thinking it should be somewhere in May. Thats the reason I am also thinking of getting the PCC here itself. But then I also get a feeling..

"If somthing sounds too good to be true.. it usually is" .. so wanted to check with other CPer's if this info I got from CGI is correct or not!!

If you are expecting May. You have enough time to get it from Houston.

My PCC came in a week. wife's abt. 40 days (pp issued in india)

PCC from RPO, Mumbai experience

I got the PCC from RPO Mumbai. The procedure is very simple and I got it in 1 day.
Get the Rs 5/- form(Misc. Services Form-MSF henceforth). Along with the form they will give u an additional photocopied form (Personal particulars Form(PPF hencforth)) which u will have to again take a photocopy of.

For MSF, u will need 2 photographs and for PPF u will need two photographs.
Fill in the MSF and PPF in Duplicate(PPF only).
Take TWO self-Attested photocopies of proof of current residence and TWO self atttested photocopies of latest passport.

Submit it in the morning along with Rs. 300 per person. Than u will called at 4:00PM (same day,same place!!) to collect the PCC.
Between the time u submit and again come back to collect..u might want to visit the Crossroads Mall which is near by. Its a good place to kill time and have food.

Ofcourse, the same day funda is valid if the passport was issued from Mumbai..if ur passport is not issued in Mumbai than I GUESS it will take more time...so in my view, to get the PCC in one day ,u go in for RPO-PCC from the RPO which issued ur Passport.

for amolnaik,
1)my passport was issue prior to 1997!!
2) for sumbitting, a letter of authority should do..but u know how our bureaucracy is...so try to be there
3)one has (a must) to be physically present to collect the passport (the passport needs to be submitted for getting the PCC as they make an entry in ur PP).
The letter of authority given for submitting the PCC request WILL NOT HELP FOR COLLECTING the PP/PCC. I guess, for collecting, physical presence is a must. I saw some people very angry for this but that's the way they work..

Overall a smooth experience.

That's it folks!!

forsms2002:

Great information around PCC from RPO. I remember the mumbai passport office used to be @ Satyam theatre. Has it moved to haji ali near cross roads? Either ways movie or crossroads is a nice time killer!

Satyam theatre is closed 3 years back (I went to see a movie there but was surprise to know!!). Than I went to Geeta theatre and was shocked to know that there is a Theatre strike going on and ALL the theatres are closed..(Man, Murphy's law fits in India) so the last option was to visit CrossRoads!!

The RPO is in the Bengal Chemicals Building which is just 10 minutes walk from Old-Passport office building.

Originally posted by forsms2002
(Man, Murphy's law fits in India)

That's why By Murphy, you should get your PCC in US.
General rule of thumb I follow, If there is no siginificant advantage (like 485 taking 24-30 mos. as opposed to CP 10ish), if you can accomplish something related to your immigration in US DO IT. Don't bank on it outside.

Satyam - yup only time I went there was to see 'Khiladi' and the goofy thing in the movie was a murder taking place in the garage of the same theater ... :eek:

amolnaik: I received PCC from RPO long back and I have explained the procedure earlier in this thread. If you have any further questions, do ask in this thread and I will be very happy to share it!!

PCC from Crime branch is worrying me. I have still not got. I am planning to follow-up with them. As soon as there is any update I will post it in this thread.