PCC for Chennai Post

heynow

Registered Users (C)
Hello

I got my I-140 approval and my Attorney has received the packet from NVC.

Me and my wife are in the US.

Where should i get the Police certificate from ? Should it be from India or from Indian Embassy in US ? Do we need to paste photographs in the PCC ? Is getting the document from the Embassy is optional or mandatory if we are in US ?

If i have already got the PCC from Local Office, how long it is valid ?

Apart from the PCC, do i need to get any document from Regional Passport Office ?

heynow,

Since you and your wife are in US, you need only one PCC from cgi (consulate/embassy) in US. You don't need one from INDIA.

For PCC froim CGI, contact your nearest indian consulate in US.
Submit them whatever they ask for (Passport, photo, etc).

You may get the PCC within a month.

heynow:

I concur with cpzinga and would like to edit his statement by saying 1 pcc per applicant on your case so that is you, your wife and any dependents on your gc process. 1 Pcc per person from Indian consulate in usa!

Indian Consulate General New York web site for more details:

http://www.indiacgny.org/

Thanks much for ur reply ...

When is getting a certificate from Regional Passport Office required ?

heynow:

since you & your spouse are in usa you need pcc only from indian consulate in usa. There is no need to get pcc or any other document from regional passport office in india. I have also responded to these questions to the private message you sent me earlier today!

If a person is in INDIA (while his/her CP is going on), then he needs to get one PCC from RPO and one PCC from local police station.

But if the person is residing in USA, then he/she needs only one PCC from the CGI in USA. You don't need any other PCC from india.

In your case, get PCCs for you and your wife (seperate) from CGI in USA.

I also have a same question.is it still ok to get the PCC from the passport office in india,since it takes only a day to get it. secondly if i chose to get it from india,do i also need to get one PCC from the local police. From reading the above posts you only need one PCC from the Consulate/embassy.but i like to know that is the same if i chose to get it from india(i mean one PCC from the passport office) i appreciate your comments and thank you for your time.

chrboy:

BASed on your posting I have a feeling that you are curently residing in USA. Let me know if this is correct?

If you reside in usa you have 2 options:
1. Get 1 PCC per person from Indian Consulate in usa which takes about 45 days from your date of application.

OR

2. GEt 1 PCC per person from Local Police station in your home city in india plus 1 PCC from regional passport office that caters to your home city in india

These two options are open to indian residing in usa where as option number 2 is only for those residing in india currently.

Option 1 was started as a matter of convenience for Indians working and staying in usa while processing their GC. So to answer you question if you route 1 the 1 pcc else with route 2 you will need 2 pcc's (locla police and regional passport office)

You are right ,she is currently lives in the US and this is for my wife currently on a k3 visa(family based) now waiting for the NVC to finish the review process ( almost 4 weeks now).she had one local PCC and one from the passport office last year for the k3 interview but i think that is no good anymore.
since she is planning to leave to india in about 3 weeks i dont know option 1 is going to work.but it is intresting to know that if you are getting it from india,you need 2 and only 1 if it is from here.
Any way thank you for the quick reponse kd,and please post if you have any updates on this.

chrboy:

Since your wife is in usa currently she should be able to use option 1 as mentioned above IF TIME PERMITS since it will take about 40-45 days from date of application to get the PCC. Else she can use option 2.

After talking to the Indian Embassy Official in Chicago, this is what i heard.

There are two steps.

1. Send the Misc. Application form + 20$ if applicant(s) (Family's passport issuing place is same) or if Family members' passport issuing place is different it is Application form for each member + 20$ for each member, this will take 45 days for the consulate to get back regarding the certificate. This step would need copy of your passport. 1 Passport size photograph.

2. After step1, you will need to send the Passport and 20$ per person to get the actual certificate.

If me and my wife are already in the US, we have the option of getting 1 PCC from Indian Embassy (which is optional) per person or 1 PCC per police station where we lived after 16 and 1 PCC from Regional Passport Office. Is this assumption correct ?
There is no mandatory certificate that is required from the Indian Embassy if we are in the US ?

Originally posted by heynow
After talking to the Indian Embassy Official in Chicago, this is what i heard.

If me and my wife are already in the US, we have the option of getting 1 PCC from Indian Embassy (which is optional) per person or 1 PCC per police station where we lived after 16 and 1 PCC from Regional Passport Office. Is this assumption correct ?
There is no mandatory certificate that is required from the Indian Embassy if we are in the US ?

I am commenting on the later part of your post.

If you and your wife are currently residing in US, you are
required to approach the nearest Indian Consulate/Embassy and
get the PCC (for your stay in India). This is the only PCC that
is required.

As far as I know this is not an option.

Raju

is required.

So if we are in US, it is a must have document ? Is that right ?

Ok, if anyone who have got the PCC from Indian Embassy, will they include the list of places where we lived in India after 16 in the PCC ? If they dont' is that ok by the requirement from the Chennai Consulate.

Originally posted by heynow
is required.

So if we are in US, it is a must have document ? Is that right ?

{Yes}

Ok, if anyone who have got the PCC from Indian Embassy, will they include the list of places where we lived in India after 16 in the PCC ? If they dont' is that ok by the requirement from the Chennai Consulate.

{The PCC would not list the places where you lived in India.
It just says that 'nothing was found which would make you
ineligible for an Immigrant Visa' or a sentence to that effect}

{my responses}

Raju

The PCC would not list the places where you lived in India.
It just says that 'nothing was found which would make you
ineligible for an Immigrant Visa' or a sentence to that effect

So, is that document sufficient and is accepted by the Chennai Consulate ?

I dont think getting the PCC from the embassy/consulate is mandatory it is definitely an option,because of the fact that in the packet 3 instruction it clearly says that "Present and former residents of the united states should NOT obtain any police certificates covering their residence in the U.S." so it doesn't matter from where you get the PCC.
i think the advantage of getting here is you can save time,rather than waiting for that in india but it looks like a long 45+days wait here too. Again one thing i dont understand is if you are getting the PCC from here you need only 1 and if it's from india you need 2. i'll try calling madras this week to find out what's the deal.

Originally posted by chrboy
I dont think getting the PCC from the embassy/consulate is mandatory it is definitely an option,because of the fact that in the packet 3 instruction it clearly says that "Present and former residents of the united states should NOT obtain any police certificates covering their residence in the U.S." so it doesn't matter from where you get the PCC.
i think the advantage of getting here is you can save time,rather than waiting for that in india but it looks like a long 45+days wait here too. Again one thing i dont understand is if you are getting the PCC from here you need only 1 and if it's from india you need 2. i'll try calling madras this week to find out what's the deal.

We are going off at a tangent here!

Read the line you quoted 'Present and former residents of
USA should NOT obtain any police Certificates covering their
residence in the US'.

That is exactly right. What the sentence means is you should
not attempt to get a police certificate for your stay in US, from
US Authorities. They are able to do this online.

The other PCC which we are suggesting is the PCC from the
Indian Consulate and it covers the candidates stay in INDIA.

What you stated in the last paragraph is also correct and as
prescribed in the US Consulate Website.

a) If you are currently residing in US or any country other than India then approach the nearest Indian Consulate to get a PCC for your STAY IN INDIA

OR

B) If you are currently residing in India , then

(i) A PCC from your local Passport Office

and

(ii) A PCC from the local police authorities in the area you
live.

Raju

Raju,

PCC issued in india is as good as the one from the indian consulate and accceptable to the american consulate. like kd1403 said it's matter of CONVENIENCE and what i was trying to say is it is definitely an OPTION and not MANDATORY.

Kd1403,
That's exactly what iwas trying to say.

chrboy,

There are two different points here and let us not mix them.

The first one is, in your post you quoted a sentence and I could see that it was mis-interpreted. I just clarified it.

The second point is, whether the candidate has the option of
either going to the Indian Consulate (OR) the Passport office and
the Police authorities for his/her PCC, IRRESPECTIVE OF WHERE
THEY ARE CURRENTLY RESIDING?

The following is pasted from the US Consulate, Chennai website:

INDIAN POLICE CLEARANCE CERTIFICATES SHOULD BE OBTAINED AS FOLLOWS:

-- All Indian IV applicants age 16 and above, residing in India, should obtain police certificates from the local passport office. Applicants whose Indian passport was issued within the past six months may present just the passport office police certificate, and need not obtain additional police clearances.
-- applicants over age 16 whose passports were issued more than six months previous to visa application must also obtain a police clearance from the district police office serving the applicant’s place of residence.
-- Indian passport holders applying for visas outside India should obtain a statement from their local embassy or consulate confirming they have no criminal record.
-- Non-Indian Iv Applicants Residing In India Should Obtain Police Certificates From The District Police Station Serving Their Area Of Residence.
-- Indian Police Certificates Are Not Available For Foreign (Non-Indian) Applicants Applying Outside India.

It can not be more clear than this. I do not know if they have
changed their wording in the packet 3.

Having said this , I also know of atleast one case where a
candidate was residing in US but could not wait for the PCC from
the local consulate because of shortage of time. So he went to
India and got those 2 PCCs and attended the interview.

Even after knowing about this case, if someone asks me I would
not call this as an OPTION !

Raju