Passport Stamping and Address change

whitefeather

Registered Users (C)
Has anyone undergone this experience, whereby they had to do a change of address around the time of passport stamping?

In that case, what is the most advisable:

1. Should I file my AR-11 now and then go for the passport stamping in two weeks?

2. Should I just inform them when I go for passport stamping?

3. Should I take a filled out AR-11 and submit it when I go for passport stamping?

4. Any other suggestions?

Please advise. Thanks in advance for the assist.

whitefeather said:
Has anyone undergone this experience, whereby they had to do a change of address around the time of passport stamping?

1. Should I file my AR-11 now and then go for the passport stamping in two weeks?
----- you can send the AR -11 Before you go for passport stamping
------ YES, update your NEW address so that Card is sent to new address
3. Should I take a filled out AR-11 and submit it when I go for passport stamping?
-----AR-11 is sent to diffrent address, Local USCIS will not take that form
---file AR -11 one-two day advance of passport stamping if you are moving or moved

I'm not sure if 2 or 3 are possible or legal. I do know that you are required to report a change of address within 10 days, and since 2 weeks is 14 days, you're stuck with having to do 1.

If I were you, I'd make a photocopy of the form before I mail it in, and bring that photocopy with me to my appointment and show them. You could also go to the postal office and ask for proof of mailing when you mail the form in, but honestly, I don't think that's required. Though you never know with the USCIS.

No matter what you do, make sure your notification is in within 10 days, because that's the law.

whitefeather said:

I have somewhat almost the same scenario.

I'm ready for passport stamping but we are moving in 3 months time.

Do I have to file AR-11 before stamping or gets stamped first & file later when we moved?

Thanks!

Re: Change of Address and Stamping

You have to report your change of address within 10 days of moving. When you get stamped doesn't make a difference about that.

JLCF485 said:
I have somewhat almost the same scenario.

I'm ready for passport stamping but we are moving in 3 months time.

Do I have to file AR-11 before stamping or gets stamped first & file later when we moved?

Thanks!

I just got back from passport stamping.

Address change dialogue:

Officer: "Is the address listed on the I-797 where you reside?"

Me: "Yes, but I might move before the card reaches me, what do you think I should do?"

Officer: "Just cancel this address on the I-797 and write down the address where you would like your card mailed."

So I changed my address to a relative's address, where I know I can get the card from. After, I move - I'll just fill out the AR-11 for formality purposes, but I think that the card is still mailed to the address you write down. Let's wait and see.

whitefeather said:
I just got back from passport stamping.

Address change dialogue:

Officer: "Is the address listed on the I-797 where you reside?"

Me: "Yes, but I might move before the card reaches me, what do you think I should do?"

Officer: "Just cancel this address on the I-797 and write down the address where you would like your card mailed."

So I changed my address to a relative's address, where I know I can get the card from. After, I move - I'll just fill out the AR-11 for formality purposes, but I think that the card is still mailed to the address you write down. Let's wait and see.

thanks for the reply.

PRoblem

not to scare you guys but this is what happened in my case. I changed the address for self and my wife at stamping. I recieved the card at the new address but my wife's was sent to old address. It was my cousin's place which he had rented out and by chance when he visited that house one day he saw it passed it on to me. Meanwhile when I sent an enquiry, I got a reply saying that the card was mailed and not returned back to them, so I was asked to file for a replacement which take another two years!

My experience:

When we filed I-90 for my wife, I used the new address. We will be moving March 31st. Then the officer told us to file AR-11 by mail. They do not accept those.

Hope that helps.

I"m moving in july and we got our 485 and gc approved and stamped the same day at detroit local office.

when and where should i send my change of address; if I've not received my card by then?? I don't have my new mailing address as yet :confused:

bhoonbhu said:
I"m moving in july and we got our 485 and gc approved and stamped the same day at detroit local office.

when and where should i send my change of address; if I've not received my card by then?? I don't have my new mailing address as yet :confused:

When did you get your passport stamped?