Passport received, BUT

serge16

Registered Users (C)
I received US passport yesterday and also certificate of naturalization, BUT somebody at NPIC stapled one of my photos to the upper right corner of the certificate (where certificate number is located).
Now my questions are: is anybody had the same done to they certificate? Can I remove that extra photo from certificate? And what about two small holes that is there now, does it makes certificate invalid?

D/O : New York
03/03/2009 : N-400 Mailed to Lewisville, TX
03/09/2009 : Mail recived
03/17/2009 : Notice Date.
03/17/2009 : NOA Received
03/20/2009 : FP Notice Received ( I-797C).
04/04/2009 : FP Done.
05/30/2009 : Interview Letter.
07/27/2009 : Interview Date. Garden City (Recommended for approval) PASSED!!!
08/05/2009 : Oath Date. Cadman Plaza, Brooklyn
08/06/2009 : Applied for Passport
08/21/2009 : Passport received

Wow I hate it when people just treat the certificate like it was just another piece of paper,, many don't realize how hard we worked to get it and how precious it is to us and worse how expensive it is to replace.

I have heard of the certificate beeign stapled before but not to a picture. I do not think that the staple holes make it invalid though.

Wow I hate it when people just treat the certificate like it was just another piece of paper,, many don't realize how hard we worked to get it and how precious it is to us and worse how expensive it is to replace.

A very good statement Hoping2009, I wonder if there is some way that sentiment can be passed back to USCIS for staff training. I am looking forward to receiving mine and I will be paying an annual fee to rent a bank safe deposit box for it, I value it that highly. I am not a wealthy person but I sure as hell will be coveting that Certificate.

@Serge, as Bob has said, the staple holes would in no way invalidate the certificate. Actually there was a thread on here not so long ago where someones kid wrote numbers on the Certificate before it was sent in with a Passport application. There were no problems with the getting Passport and the marked up Certificate.

Carefully remove the staple by opening the staple legs from the back with a small knife blade and then take time to stare at that joyful Certificate! :)

I wonder if there is some way that sentiment can be passed back to USCIS for staff training.

They (staff) think it's like a US birth certificate, just go to court, pay $5 and you get another copy... My daughter's birth certificate was mercilessly stapled at US Passport Office although it was completely unnecessary.

many don't realize how hard we worked to get it and how precious it is to us and worse how expensive it is to replace.

I know, in addition to that mailman bend my envelope so bad that passport and certificate inside was mangled pretty bad.

Yes you can remove extra pictures, no it doesn't make certificate invalid.

So, I guess I will just remove it and forget about it. I just wonder how often is that happens?

I received US passport yesterday and also certificate of naturalization, BUT somebody at NPIC stapled one of my photos to the upper right corner of the certificate (where certificate number is located).
Now my questions are: is anybody had the same done to they certificate? Can I remove that extra photo from certificate? And what about two small holes that is there now, does it makes certificate invalid?

D/O : New York
03/03/2009 : N-400 Mailed to Lewisville, TX
03/09/2009 : Mail recived
03/17/2009 : Notice Date.
03/17/2009 : NOA Received
03/20/2009 : FP Notice Received ( I-797C).
04/04/2009 : FP Done.
05/30/2009 : Interview Letter.
07/27/2009 : Interview Date. Garden City (Recommended for approval) PASSED!!!
08/05/2009 : Oath Date. Cadman Plaza, Brooklyn
08/06/2009 : Applied for Passport
08/21/2009 : Passport received

It happens to some people. Don't worry. Yes, you can remove the extra photo. With two holes on the certificate, it is still valid. :) It is not a problem as long as on the certificate, certificate number, your name, photo and logo of certificate are more important.

You think it is still valid? I remeber they punched two holes to the passport when they returned it cancelled.

You think it is still valid? I remeber they punched two holes to the passport when they returned it cancelled.

Which certificate or passport are you referring to? Passport may be not valid if they are maligned or punched with two big holes. Certificate is invalid if it is badly maligned. That's why you should make a copy of it when you became a US citizen. I know it said that you cannot make a copy of it by the law. but it is only for your good and it helps applying for a new certificate or show it to one of US embassies if you lost your passport or certificate and you are stuck in any foreign country or need to travel urgently out of USA.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it said that you cannot make a copy of it by the law. but it is only for your good
It seems to be a common misconception that it is illegal for the owner to make certificate's copies. The USCIS representative at our oath ceremony said that the certificate's owner has the legal authority to make copies as long as they are not used for fraudulent activities.

What are those funny dots are there above the "O" stand for? And please post a link to support your authority.

What are those funny dots are there above the "O" stand for? And please post a link to support your authority.

The double-dot on top of the 'o' in 'König' is called an umlaut. It is customary in many Germanic alphabets such as German, Swedish, Danish, and so on. It changes the pronounciation of the vowel sound for the letter over which it appears.

The following is the text of the law governing the reproduction of naturalization or citizenship papers. The basic point is that reproduction is possible with 'lawful authority' for 'lawful purposes'. The owner of the certificate, has 'lawful authority' to make copies for 'lawful purposes' such as establishing proof of U.S. citizenship.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00001426----000-.html

The double-dot on top of the 'o' in 'König' is called an umlaut. It is customary in many Germanic alphabets such as German, Swedish, Danish, and so on. It changes the pronounciation of the vowel sound for the letter over which it appears.

The following is the text of the law governing the reproduction of naturalization or citizenship papers. The basic point is that reproduction is possible with 'lawful authority' for 'lawful purposes'. The owner of the certificate, has 'lawful authority' to make copies for 'lawful purposes' such as establishing proof of U.S. citizenship.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00001426----000-.html

USCIS district director who was present at my oath ceremony said the same: "Make sure you get copies before the original grows legs".

Funny guy.

:D:D

do you not need copies to submit if you are applying for replacement certificate or if you are applying for immigration petition for somebody or if you want the true copy of the certificate?

I am sure USCIS wouldn't ask for copies it weren't legal....

We all need see therapist to get de-uscis-ed. some of us probably a little more than others... :) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
do you not need copies to submit if you are applying for replacement certificate or if you are applying for immigration petition for somebody or if you want the copy certificate?

I am sure USCIS wouldn't ask for copies it weren't legal....

We all need see therapist to get de-uscis-ed. some of us probably a little more than others... :) :)

Yes you are right on the therapist issue :eek::D:D:D:eek:

Hole punches are used to invalid a passport. Staple holes (much smaller than hole punches) are used to attach document to passport or certificate. For example, stapling a visa to a passport doesn't make it invalid.

Hole punches are used to invalid a passport. Staple holes (much smaller than hole punches) are used to attach document to passport or certificate.

But what about bending? As I said my passport was bend by mailman, about 50 degrees, when it arrived. And message in the passport, on the page 28 states "This document contains sensitive electronics. For best performance, do not bend, perforate or expose to extreme temperatures".

Thank you, it was interesting to learn about the Germanic alphabets. However, I do not see in the link you kindly provided the interpritation about the owner's authority you quoted.

But what about bending? As I said my passport was bend by mailman, about 50 degrees, when it arrived. And message in the passport, on the page 28 states "This document contains sensitive electronics. For best performance, do not bend, perforate or expose to extreme temperatures".

That's a best performans. I do not think they use it, as promised wirelessly. Every time on the border they just scan it the old way.