Passport question

My father broke up with my mother when I was born and it was decided he would have full custody of me, he came with me from haiti in 1984 and we have never seen her since

Anyway, my father became naturalized in 1993 and now im having issues renewing my license

After researching this forum, I submitted my n600 application, and sent in documentation for a passport

I attached

1. My fathers naturalization certifcate
  2. My expired license
  3. My expired green card
  4. My social security card
  5. A copy of my haitian birth certificate
  6. A copy of my notarized haitian birth certificate (used a online service)

The passport agency emailed me 30 minutes ago and attached this

Attachments

Last edited:
what documentation would they need to prove he had custody of me, would a high school transcript suffice ?

Last edited:

SusieQQQ

what documentation would they need to prove he had custody of me, would a high school transcript suffice ?
It has to be legal custody, hence the request in the letter for a custody order. A high school transcript would prove physical custody but not legal.

Sm1smom

Super Moderator
OP - I don’t have any guidance to provide as to how to prove your father had legal custody of you as a minor.

I just wanted to add this is precisely why I always advocate for parents to go the extra mile of getting citizenship certificates for their minor kids who derived citizenship from them. This is a perfect example of hindsight is golden indeed.

newacct

This is a little off-topic, but regarding renewing your license, if you don't manage to prove your citizenship (or if it turns out you don't have citizenship), you could renew your green card by filing I-90 (and getting an I-551 stamp for proof of permanent residency while the I-90 is pending), allowing you to renew your license.

This is a little off-topic, but regarding renewing your license, if you don't manage to prove your citizenship (or if it turns out you don't have citizenship), you could renew your green card by filing I-90 (and getting an I-551 stamp for proof of permanent residency while the I-90 is pending), allowing you to renew your license.

after further research, i noticed that there is no expiration date on my alien card (PRINTED 11/23/1985), i took it to the florida dmv, with my social security card, and my expired license this morning (11/13/19), and told them i am not a citizen and currently gathering documentation to become a citizen, and they gave me a new license in 5 minutes.

the clerk in the booth next to the clerk helping me, did suggest i get a new green card since the one i had was so old, and my response was why should i, mines doesnt expire.

pretty surreal, ive been driving with a expired license for over a year.

i will be consulting a lawyer regarding the passport and the n600 form ive already submitted on friday