Passport photo too dark??

fisherman

Registered Users (C)
Hello

I just received my US passport in the mail, and photo on the information page is little bit dark with shadow under the eyes. The picture is recognizable (albeit excessive flesh tone), but you have to look at bright light.

I read on internet that photo was digitalized to put on passport, and that might one reason photos look a bit dark.

The passport agent in the post office took the passport picture, and he used a hand held camera without any tripod or correct lighting. It was so amateurish. So I knew right then that photo will come out crappy.

I was wondering if this the norm

Thanks lilsweetie

I made an appointment with passport agent at post office to show him my passport, asking him if picture was ok and not too dark. He said picture being dark is normal for passports and don't sweat it.

He said as long as State Department has approved the picture, printed out passport and send it out, you are good to go. Even if picture is too dark.

Thanks lilsweetie

I made an appointment with passport agent at post office to show him my passport, asking him if picture was ok and not too dark. He said picture being dark is normal for passports and don't sweat it.

He said as long as State Department has approved the picture, printed out passport and send it out, you are good to go. Even if picture is too dark.

Thanks for updating this so others know if they have the same issue :)
Glad it is alright and you don't have to go through more hassle of returning it and waiting for a new one!

Yes, US passports have terrible photo quality. I don't know if it's a security feature or what, but really, TERRIBLE. Don't worry about it. My picture isn't even straight!

A new design will be introduced later this year with apparently laser-engraved photos on a polycarbonate bio page. Hopefully, this means the quality will improve.

Yes, US passports have terrible photo quality. Don't know if it's a security feature or what, but really, TERRIBLE.

Agree. I am dual national and my other passport have much better photo and more colorful bio page.

I read that State Department process on average 45,000 passports a day. I doubt if SD physically inspect each passport individually for quality control.

Don't worry about it. My picture isn't even straight!

Heheheh....that's a new one :-D

I'm sure they have basic checks, because all current generation US passports I've seen have photos that range from good but grainy/not sharp, to what I would consider poorly printed/unacceptable/unreliable, but none of the people with these passports have experienced trouble entering the US or other countries so far.

I think all US passports have embedded digital chip that contain encrypted photo and bio of passport holder. So customs probably run that info thru for electronic verification even before looking at passport.

Passport agent at post office told me that when a US citizen leave from US ports, they scan your passport electronically. And that information is send to State Department, letting them know that you are traveling. I have not left US with US passport, so can not verify that info.

I received my passport with ugliest face on it big time. I did pictures at the USPS, and they are very nice ones. What i have on my passport is a joke, pumpking face, so red cant see my lips, only eyes are visible.I complained but no result, if i do not like it i can pay again same money to get a new passport, and who can guarantee that another photo wont be violet or any other colour ?

I agree. There is no guarantee that new passport photo will look better.

I would definitely take passport to agent who processed your passport application, and shw them the photo to see what they say about it. If photo is too dark to point of bring unusable, the agent can call the passport processing center (mine was in New Orleans) to inquire about it. This way if there is any problem, they will pay for new passport.

But if they tell you what the passport agent at post office told me (that dark passport photo is norm), then dark photo becomes more of cosmetic problem rather than security problem.

I agree with you guys, I had the nicest photo of me you could ever see. What it turns out to be in my passport is horrible, looks a little distorted and colors are bleached.

The jumble of text block (machine readable zone) is aligned extremely to the left and down so that it borders the edge of the paper. I wonder if that will cause any problems reading/scanning/swiping the passport?

It looks like I am not alone who thinks the US passport is low quality document.