Passport for Minor - N600 Applied

cooluswiz

Registered Users (C)
Can i apply for a passport for my daughter (Under 16 Years), she was born out of US , we both(Parents) got our citizenship recently. I have also applied for N600 but like to know if I can apply for her passport now without getting the approval of N600. What number I can call to confirm that to make sure that I am not making any mistake, any official link please post as I have asked the question to attorney and he/she think that I have to wait till i get her N600 approved. pls advise

You are not a US citizen yet, neither is your wife. In a previous thread you mentioned your wife has the oath on Nov. 18 and you are hoping to get your oath on the same date. You don't become a US citizen until you complete the oath ceremony; the verbal and written approvals before the oath don't grant any citizenship.

But to answer your question -- for straightforward cases, after you become a USC you can directly apply for the US passport for your under-18-green-card-holding children without waiting for the N-600. Newly naturalized parents often apply for their children's passport when applying for their own adult passport. Your situation would appear to be straightforward like that ... both parents (soon to be) citzens, parents still married and living together so no custody issues, child still under 18.

What did you provide as evidence of your own and your wife's US citizenship when filing the N-600, given that you don't have the naturalization certificate yet?

I am really curious to know what you submitted for the proof of your citizenship when you filed in N-600 for your kid. As mentioned by the previous user, you cannot call yourself a US citizen until you have taken the oath and received you naturalization certificate.

Understand

I totally understand that I am not a citizen till i get my oath, for the purpose of clarification I will not be applying for N600 or Passport till we(myself and wife) get naturalized. I will be applying N600 and also passport for my daughter under 18 years. The question I have that can I apply for passport and as I understood that I can apply along with my passport application on 19th (After getting my Oath) and will apply for N600 to get her a Citizenship certificate. Hope that clarify the situation. Thanks again for all ur help.

I totally understand that I am not a citizen till i get my oath, for the purpose of clarification I will not be applying for N600 or Passport till we(myself and wife) get naturalized. I will be applying N600 and also passport for my daughter under 18 years. The question I have that can I apply for passport and as I understood that I can apply along with my passport application on 19th (After getting my Oath) and will apply for N600 to get her a Citizenship certificate. Hope that clarify the situation. Thanks again for all ur help.

Make copies of natz certs for yourself and as evidence with the N-600. The originals will be kept by the Passport Agency while adjudicating the passport applications but will be returned in separate mailings when no longer needed.

Reminder: N-600s now go to a lockbox.

Once you get naturalized, you can apply for a passport for yourself and your daughter if she is under 18 and a greencard holder. I would first apply for the passports. Your daughter does not need the N-600 to get her passport.

Once you receive the passports for both you and your daughter and also get your naturalization certificate back from the passport agency, then you can apply for N-600 for your daughter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once you get naturalized, you can apply for a passport for yourself and your daughter if she is under 18 and a greencard holder. I would first apply for the passports. Your daughter does not need the N-600 to get her passport.

Once you receive the passports for both you and your daughter and also get your naturalization certificate back from the passport agency, then you can apply for N-600 for your daughter.

It's not necessary to wait for the passport to be issued ... the N-600 application can be filed right away with copies of the parents' naturalization certificates, while the originals are being used for the passport.