Passport expiry and I-94 expiry

sunflower101

CBP at POE provides new I-94 maximum up to the passport expiry date. Is it same practice if we apply for TN/TD extension to USCIS instead of going to POE?

Thanks.

Many people's experiences are that USCIS extension of status approval gives an I-94 that is not limited by the passport expiration.

Unlike CBP, USCIS does not look at passport expiry when granting status approvals/extensions. When you get a new passport, you can get a new I-94 with the "full" expiration date by showing CBP a copy of your petion (or they can look it up in their system based on the I-94 number.

Got TN and TDs extended by USCIS for 3 years regardless of passport expiry dates. Got i-129 and i-539s accordingly.

Questions,

- When online I-94 will be updated with new TN TD start and expiry date?
- Do I need my I-94 to be updated first before renewing my drivers license?

Thanks again.

Got TN and TDs extended by USCIS for 3 years regardless of passport expiry dates. Got i-129 and i-539s accordingly.

Questions,

- When online I-94 will be updated with new TN TD start and expiry date?
- Do I need my I-94 to be updated first before renewing my drivers license?

Thanks again.
CBP's I-94 website is only for electronic I-94s from entry. Extension of Status is adjudicated by USCIS, not CBP, which issues paper I-94s. Your I-797A approval notice for Extension of Status contains your new paper I-94 as a rectangular stub in a part of the page that can be detached. Your paper I-94 from USCIS will not show up on CBP's electronic I-94 website. That is normal and expected. Once you received a new I-94, it superseded all previous I-94s, so the electronic I-94 on the website is no longer valid. Use this paper I-94 as your only I-94 from now on for all purposes, including showing your status to get a driver's license. Only if you leave the US and re-enter, will you be granted an electronic I-94 by CBP.

The new I-94 shows it is effective from April 19th, the day after my current electronic i-94 expires. So, I guess my electronic one is still active. And I need to wait till April 19th before renewing my drivers license. Correct?

The new I-94 shows it is effective from April 19th, the day after my current electronic i-94 expires. So, I guess my ekectronic one is still active. And I need to wait till April 19th before renewing my drtivers license. Correct?
You can probably bring both.