Passport card

Good to know,
I applied for my book and card at july 23th.

I got the book in July 31st and no certificate. I called national passport center and she said it will come with your card. I don't know where the heck it is now and I haven't got anything yet.

Good to know,
I applied for my book and card at july 23th.

I got the book in July 31st and no certificate. I called national passport center and she said it will come with your card. I don't know where the heck it is now and I haven't got anything yet.

You should make an inquiry. I got my certificate with the passport as they do not need to keep it to adjudicate the card. If they issued the passport your citizenship has been verified and your passport card was also approved/adjudicated.

Some times they ship the certificate in a separate envelope - after the passport is sent out. So you need to call again and get this tracked.

For my daughter, we got back her birth certificate 1 one after applying for her passport card. There was a note saying that they have approved her application but production had not started - this was back in May.

Educate me someone, why do I need a passport card? I didn't apply for one and have no intention of doing so.
Thanks.

Educate me someone, why do I need a passport card? I didn't apply for one and have no intention of doing so.
Thanks.

Here's the eduction information link about passport card:
http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3926.html

The size of Passport card is the size of your driver license. It is easier to carry it (than carry passport booklet). Remember you cannot use it for air travel and you cannot use it internationally until laws are implemented much later. The passport card facilitates entry and expedites document processing at U.S. land and sea ports-of-entry when arriving from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. The card may not be used to travel by air. Otherwise, it carries the rights and privileges of the U.S. passport book and is adjudicated to the exact same standards.

Hope it helps.

If you are using passport booklet, that's fine. You might not want to lose your passport booklet or carry booklet at all the times when you travel to Canada or Mexico or Bremuda or Caribbean. I think the passport card is waterproof if you swim underwater. :)

Thanks.

Why would I educate someone who doesn't want to be educated? ;) If you have made up your mind against obtaining a passport card why do you need the education? Anyway, the education materials are at:

Other option is to type "passport card" in google news and see the many articles that discuss this card. If after reading all this you'd like to apply for a card we might "educate" you about how to apply for one ;)

How long does regular passport service take

Hi Nimche and/or USGC485,

Did you guys mail your passport regular or expedite? It looks like both of you got it in less than two weeks. Also can passport card be used as a form of id in US/Canada? Anyone out there who mailed their passport regular in the recent past, how long is it taking now days? Please post your replies. Thanks.

Hi Nimche and/or USGC485,

Did you guys mail your passport regular or expedite? It looks like both of you got it in less than two weeks. Also can passport card be used as a form of id in US/Canada? Anyone out there who mailed their passport regular in the recent past, how long is it taking now days? Please post your replies. Thanks.

I chose to expedite it.

I think passport card can be used as identification card, but it can be used at the port such as seaport and port of land mostly. I don't know if any bank and any kind of business institutions accept it for verification purposes since it is launched and it is very new so give more time for dmv, bank, mortgages, ssn, etc to learn about how to accept passport card in canada, usa, mexico, bremuda, and caribbean.

For passport regular, it will take longer than 10 days, of course.

You should make an inquiry. I got my certificate with the passport as they do not need to keep it to adjudicate the card. If they issued the passport your citizenship has been verified and your passport card was also approved/adjudicated.

Some times they ship the certificate in a separate envelope - after the passport is sent out. So you need to call again and get this tracked.

For my daughter, we got back her birth certificate 1 one after applying for her passport card. There was a note saying that they have approved her application but production had not started - this was back in May.

Lolai, I you suggested to file and inquiery and I did. They said this request will go to LA passport agency and they will take an action and let you know.

Thank you buddy

How long does regular passport take?

Hi guys,

I applied for my passport (regular) 10 days ago at a post office in New York City. The online status doesn't appear. I wonder when I can expect my passport. Anyone who applied (through regular processing) from NYC in the recent past please reply. Also will I get my NC in the same envelop?

P.S. frannod, you got your passport in two weeks (7/29/08 - 8/12/08). Did you apply regular? Did you get you NC in the same envelop? Did you apply from NYC (it looks like it)?

Passport card recieved in mail today 8-18-08. I applied expedited passport on July 23rd, 2008.

About 25 days for passport card to show up.

Congratulations! Nimche :) Did you also get your naturalization certificate back? Did it come in a separate envelope?

Oh, Sorry I forgot to mention.
No Naturalization Certificate yet. I hope it shows up tomorrow or something.

The letter accompanied with my card says that they will send all the evidence back in a separate mail. + I haven't heard anything back from the passport agency regarding my inquiry. I will let you all know as soon as I get it back

Thanks Huracan

NC showed up today in mail and it is not bended. It was in a large envelope like the first day I got it.

NC showed up today in mail and it is not bended. It was in a large envelope like the first day I got it.

Oh good! I am relieved to hear that bro. Loosing the certificate would be a hassle.

I also got the passport card yesterday 8/18 - but I applied for it in mid-May so it took longer to receive.

I'm still waiting for my daughter's which we applied for in mid-June. Let's see when they send that in.

I know the wait is always unnerving, but I was pretty sure your certificate was going to show up in the mail eventually.

Oh good! I am relieved to hear that bro. Loosing the certificate would be a hassle.

I also got the passport card yesterday 8/18 - but I applied for it in mid-May so it took longer to receive.

I'm still waiting for my daughter's which we applied for in mid-June. Let's see when they send that in.

Good, so are you satisfied with the quality of the card? I am asking because some of the online pictures make it look like not very pretty. Do they have color photograph or black and white?

normal processing time for US passport?

I finished my oath on Aug 7th and applied for the US passport on Aug 12th, normal processing, at a post office in San Francisco.

Any idea how much its taking nowadays for normal US passport applications?

No way, you cannot be delayed on your passport too ;) It should be around a couple of weeks so you should get it soon.

Good, so are you satisfied with the quality of the card? I am asking because some of the online pictures make it look like not very pretty. Do they have color photograph or black and white?

The picture is black and white, but to be honest with you - its a nice looking card. Although the design is slightly different, it is very similar to the biographic page of the new e-passport. I expected something cheesy but was surprised. :)

Now comes the testing part - to see if anyone actually knows what this card is! I will be going to Canada in a couple of weeks for the weekend.

Here's the eduction information link about passport card:

The size of Passport card is the size of your driver license. It is easier to carry it (than carry passport booklet). Remember you cannot use it for air travel and you cannot use it internationally until laws are implemented much later. The passport card facilitates entry and expedites document processing at U.S. land and sea ports-of-entry when arriving from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. The card may not be used to travel by air. Otherwise, it carries the rights and privileges of the U.S. passport book and is adjudicated to the exact same standards.

Hope it helps.

If you are using passport booklet, that's fine. You might not want to lose your passport booklet or carry booklet at all the times when you travel to Canada or Mexico or Bremuda or Caribbean. I think the passport card is waterproof if you swim underwater. :)

thanks for the response, now I'm educated. Still not applying for one..