Passport aplication hurdles.

USER2345

Registered Users (C)
Went to the post office to submit my application and ran into two problems :rolleyes::
1. Apparently you have to have friends to have a passport. I had nothing to put under emergency contact, there is just know one I know in this country.
The lady said I have to have one. Ok..I put something in there.
2. I did not remember my parents date of birth or even a place of birth., gave it a good guess..i hope I am close :eek:

How's this information going to affect my application? Anyone was in the same situation.

PS. Also the lady said do not apply for passport card as it's not good for anything except a second id. You can't fly with it.

PS. Also the lady said do not apply for passport card as it's not good for anything except a second id. You can't fly with it.

The lady gave you legal advice....which post office employees are not supposed to. It is good if you take a lot of caribbean cruises or frequest road trips to Mexico or Canada.

The lady gave you legal advice....which post office employees are not supposed to. It is good if you take a lot of caribbean cruises or frequest road trips to Mexico or Canada.

I actually appreciate her telling me this as I go to Mexico sometimes. She said one can not be airlifted by helicopter/airplane without a passport,so it's always a good idea to have it abroad. Imagine something happens on a cruise or in Mexico and I need immediate medical care in the states...they can't fly me without a passport!

I actually appreciate her telling me this as I go to Mexico sometimes. She said one can not be airlifted by helicopter/airplane without a passport,so it's always a good idea to have it abroad. Imagine something happens on a cruise or in Mexico and I need immediate medical care in the states...they can't fly me without a passport!

That's hearsay actually - in the time of an emergency - the citizenship card would serve as proof of US citizenship. Also - US embassy is allowed to issue temporary passports as well or even give consent. Do not always believe what you are told.

I believe you aren't required to fill in the parent's information so long as they are not US citizens. I know I did not put in my parent's information and that was not a problem. Also I did not put in an emergency contact information - and they do not have to be US citizens. This is also an optional response. I do not think the postal worker had the right to force you to put something in there. (For minors, I believe this information is required and usually it is a parent's name.) Just make sure you remember the dates you put in for your parents as you will have to fill in the same information when you apply for a renewal.

I always recommend folks to use the online wizard to fill out the application because it clearly tells you which fields are mandatory and which are optional. Less hassle this way.

LolaLI..you saying you got a passport and you didn't put any information about your parents?

This is important to me because I was pretty much forced by a postal worked to put bogus information on my application just because she said they will absolutely not issue a passport without parents info!!!

When/if I get my passport I will have to contact someone and remove that information because I will not remember it anyway plus it is completely made up!

LolaLI..you saying you got a passport and you didn't put any information about your parents?

This is important to me because I was pretty much forced by a postal worked to put bogus information on my application just because she said they will absolutely not issue a passport without parents info!!!

When/if I get my passport I will have to contact someone and remove that information because I will not remember it anyway plus it is completely made up!

I ran into a similar situation at the post office when applying for my passport. When using the wizard to fill out the passport application, it was indicated that employer/occupation were optional fields, so I left them blank. The postal clerk forced me to fill them in.

I ran into a similar situation at the post office when applying for my passport. When using the wizard to fill out the passport application, it was indicated that employer/occupation were optional fields, so I left them blank. The postal clerk forced me to fill them in.
How does the wizard work... After filling in all the info does it create a file that you could save or simply can just print it? Thanks!

they don't really request ur parents DOB and place of birth since i just applied my PP and i couldn't remember my dad's DOB & birth place, the lady in the PO told me it's not a problem since if u don't know, so u don't know, however, u need to know ur parents name and citizenship status, that does make sense u don't know ur parents name.
here comes my question, how long will i receive my PP in NYC area???

In my situation, I was in foster care all my life until I came to the US by myself ( crossed the border in the desert!),then got legalized years later thru marriage. So I really don't know who my parents are. I will try to contact the passport office and see what they say.I need to remove all that bogus parent information.

they don't really request ur parents DOB and place of birth since i just applied my PP and i couldn't remember my dad's DOB & birth place, the lady in the PO told me it's not a problem since if u don't know, so u don't know, however, u need to know ur parents name and citizenship status, that does make sense u don't know ur parents name.
here comes my question, how long will i receive my PP in NYC area???

It took 11 days for my passport to arrive via regular processing.