Passport and SSN without Citizenship Cert

Anuksha80

Registered Users (C)
I became a US Citizen last Week. My daughter is a minor. She has a Green Card and has been living with me all the time in the USA.
How Can I apply for a passport for her ?. The PO Passport Agent is Saying I need to get a Certificate fo Citizenship for her before I can apply for a passpor for her.
Also I went over to the SSA office and they updated my SS Status. However They also insist that they cannot update my daughter's status unless I produce a Certificate of Citizenship.
How long does it take to get Certificate of Citizenship ?.
I know she obtains Citizenship by act of law, how can I convince the above offices ?.
Any experirnces any one ?.
Thanks
Anu.

They are wrong. You don't absolutely need a CoC for your daughter. You will need a birth certificate (translated into English), her GC and your CoC. If that post office was giving you a hard time try another one.

They are wrong. You don't absolutely need a CoC for your daughter. You will need a birth certificate (translated into English), her GC and your CoC. If that post office was giving you a hard time try another one.

Thank you BobSmyth, Mr Vertigo.
That's what I thought. (However, eventually I am planning to apply for CoC, just make it easier for her in the long run). In my case, I just need to send in a filled-N600 petition with copy of her GC. Correct ?. Do I need to include my Naturalization Certificate ?. It says it is illegal to make copies.
TIA
Anu.

Last edited by a moderator:
It stills amazes me how incompetent are employees at ssn office and the passport office!!!!
It's their job to know such things!

However They also insist that they cannot update my daughter's status unless I produce a Certificate of Citizenship.
They are not qualified to evaluate who has derivative citizenship, as there ifs and buts involved that they are not trained to know. But they should update her status if you show her US passport, even without the CoC.

It stills amazes me how incompetent are employees at ssn office and the passport office!!!!
It's their job to know such things!

Give them a break. Laws and rules are too complicated. We don't know everything and often make common-sense mistake in our work too

Thank you BobSmyth, Mr Vertigo.
That's what I thought. (However, eventually I am planning to apply for CoC, just make it easier for her in the long run). In my case, I just need to send in a filled-N600 petition with copy of her GC. Correct ?. Do I need to include my Naturalization Certificate ?. It says it is illegal to make copies.
TIA
Anu.

It is not illegal to make copies of the naturalization certificates 1) as back-up copy for your records or 2) for any issues relating to US immigration purposes.

So - please include a copy of your naturalization certificate with your child's N-600 application. You must provide proof of your US citizenship in order for your daughter to derive citizenship. I think you'll also need to send in pictures.

Give them a break. Laws and rules are too complicated. We don't know everything and often make common-sense mistake in our work too

Ummm common sense mistakes yes - but this is hardly common sense. All it takes is for the Postal worker to read the application and they would know what is acceptable proof. I call this "doing your homework".