Passed Interview but Decision cannot be made

citizen107

Registered Users (C)
I was interviewed today . Officer told me I passed the the interview. He told me that decision cannot be made today due to some background check. He told me it may take couple of months. Is this normal. Please send your replies.

My real Interview date is May, 21st. The below date is a typo mistake.

That happens to a few and has been covered in several posts, use the search function to see such cases. I think it just means a senior IO reviews the case but we can never know for sure.

You can edit the signature by using the User CP link at the top left side of the page once you login.

I read your post in another thread that an officer congratulated you and you passed exam and officer cannot make a decision yet. It is very common. I think your officer is junior and s/he needs ask his/her senior IO to review your case. Don't worry. You are fine as s/he told you that you passed exam and congratulated you. You will receive an oath letter soon.

I have seen many cases where an officer cannot make a decision and later they got approved and got oath letters.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was interviewed today . Officer told me I passed the the interview. He told me that decision cannot be made today due to some background check. He told me it may take couple of months. Is this normal. Please send your replies.

My real Interview date is May, 21st. The below date is a typo mistake.

I had my interview back in May of 2006 and passed it. At the end of this 10 min interview I was told by the IO that the decision could not be made because the background check (name check) was still pending. It continued to remain "pending" until April 11, 2008 despite many requests to USCIS, FBI, senators, ect that I made during nearly two years. So I do not want to scare you and maybe the things are improving now but it could take years. By the way I have nothing in my background that could cause a special delay.
good luck!

I had my interview back in May of 2006 and passed it. At the end of this 10 min interview I was told by the IO that the decision could not be made because the background check (name check) was still pending. It continued to remain "pending" until April 11, 2008 despite many requests to USCIS, FBI, senators, ect that I made during nearly two years. So I do not want to scare you and maybe the things are improving now but it could take years. By the way I have nothing in my background that could cause a special delay.
good luck!

This was when Interview was done prior to background check. Now background check is done first and then Interview... your case was probably stuck in name check blackhole.

This was when Interview was done prior to background check. Now background check is done first and then Interview... your case was probably stuck in name check blackhole.

According to the note the officer told him that he "passed the interview... but that decision cannot be made today due to some background check." This most likely means that background check has not been completed in his case. I had my interview in on 5/3/2006 and right after that USCIS started delaying N-400 interviews until background checks were cleared but the question is whether it was and is being done in 100% of cases. According to this post, it seems that there have been some exceptions. It appears that I am not stuck anymore but I am still waiting for my oath letter.

According to the note the officer told him that he "passed the interview... but that decision cannot be made today due to some background check." This most likely means that background check has not been completed in his case. I had my interview in on 5/3/2006 and right after that USCIS started delaying N-400 interviews until background checks were cleared but the question is whether it was and is being done in 100% of cases. According to this post, it seems that there have been some exceptions. It appears that I am not stuck anymore but I am still waiting for my oath letter.

Yeah the way USCIS is working we cannot be certain about any process.

File Civil suit 1447(b) after 120 days of interview if you don't get the OL. Ask teh Judge/Court to Naturalize you as USCIS loses its jurisdiction after that time. Don't worry cuz after initial examination and 120 days, you position is very very strong. But, if you choose to stay idle then the choice is yours....

File Civil suit 1447(b) after 120 days of interview if you don't get the OL. Ask teh Judge/Court to Naturalize you as USCIS loses its jurisdiction after that time. Don't worry cuz after initial examination and 120 days, you position is very very strong. But, if you choose to stay idle then the choice is yours....

You can't ask a judge or court to naturalize you nor does the USCIS loose jurisdiction over your case after 120 days have passed from interview...USCIS still has jurisdiction since they are the ones who must adjudicate your case. The purpose of filing 1447(b) is for the courts to compel USCIS to adjudicate your case if 120 days have passed since the initial interview and no action was taken.

Oh, I know all about filing... I guess I am lazy to do it myself and do not want to hire a lawyer to do it for me. The problem is that this type of filing does not produce positive results all the time. Many courts argue that examination involves the name check and, thus, is not completed at the time of the interview (so that 120-days rule does not apply). It seems that the interpretation really depends on the state where you file (Texas does not seem to be one of the better for N-400 petitioners states). Besides you do not ask the judge to naturalize you (not their decision), you ask them to force USCIS/FBI to complete the name check/resolve your case. I guess I could file after 120 days post the clearance of the name check on 4/11/2008 but then I had to do the second FP (because my first one from 2006 expired) and they might argure that that is not done or something and therefore 120 days rule does not apply.
I am really hoping that now with the elections approaching and with all the visibility in press, USCIS will start resolving cases quicker than in 2-3 years.

Bobsmith,

Please read it 2 times as maybe my English is NOT as good as yours as also I'm NOT an attorney:

If USCIS fails to render a decision on a naturalization application within 120 days of the applicant’s naturalization examination, the applicant may seek district court adjudication of his or her application. 8 U.S.C. § 1447(b). The court may either determine the application, or remand the application to the agency with instructions. Id. Once a plaintiff has filed a petition under section 1447(b), the district court assumes exclusive jurisdiction over the naturalization application. United States v. Hovsepian, 359 F.3d 1144, 1161 (9th Cir. 2004).
You can't ask a judge or court to naturalize you nor does the USCIS loose jurisdiction over your case after 120 days have passed from interview...USCIS still has jurisdiction since they are the ones who must adjudicate your case. The purpose of filing 1447(b) is for the courts to compel USCIS to adjudicate your case if 120 days have passed since the initial interview and no action was taken.

Bobsmith,

Please read it 2 times as maybe my English is NOT as good as yours as also I'm NOT an attorney:

If USCIS fails to render a decision on a naturalization application within 120 days of the applicant’s naturalization examination, the applicant may seek district court adjudication of his or her application. 8 U.S.C. § 1447(b). The court may either determine the application, or remand the application to the agency with instructions. Id. Once a plaintiff has filed a petition under section 1447(b), the district court assumes exclusive jurisdiction over the naturalization application. United States v. Hovsepian, 359 F.3d 1144, 1161 (9th Cir. 2004).
It doesn't say anything about telling a judge to naturalize you. Adjudication means decision..either a denial or approval. If the agency (USCIS) is compelled to adjudicate the case by the courts, then USCIS must act on the court's decision (and thereby still has jurisdiction over case adjudication). If the courts adjudicate the case themselves, then yes they take jurisdiction over the case. From what I've seen, most of the time the courts "remand the application to the agency with instructions".

Last edited by a moderator:
Well my case was run through the Supervisor of my initial IO but I got the approval of my case.
Saying Background Checks and running it through someone else are 2 different things

winning or loosing is not the issue in this type of cases. It has been observed that once a case is filed they try and expedite the background check and such cases usually are rendered moot and dismissed by the petioner since check sget expidited. This is the only advantage of filing.