Parents GC interview: Success

SanPi

Registered Users (C)
Hi All

My parents, husband and I went to my Parents interview for permanent residence yesterday (San Antonio office) and they got it. Although my parents were scheduled for separate interviews, they were called together. One thing that struck us was that the officer had clearly looked over our files before we went in as he was very knowledgable on what was photocopied in each file and what he still needed to make photocopies of.

We had one hiccup - the absence of an original birth certificate for each of my parents. We didnt realize we were going to apply for my parents' GC before my parents arrived in the US. Hence when we did apply, the best we could do was get a birth certificate from the Indian consulate in Houston. Our interviewing officer asked my parents why they didnt submit their original birth certificates and my parents explained that nobody really gets their birth certificates in India - we go through school, college, get married, get jobs, even get our passports in India without the need for a birth certificate (atleast back then). The officer then asked if there was anything else we could show him that was from India that had a date of birth. Luckily my dad showed him his pension papers and my mom had her income tax card - both had their date of births on it and that satisfied him.

He asked each of my parents the following:
1) Address (in the US)
2) Phone number
3) Date of birth
4) Mother's name
5) Father's name
6) If they were married before
7) their social security number (they have none)
8) the list of questions in Part 3 of form I485

He asked me:
1) if I was ever adopted
2) If I had sponsored anyone else for a GC (none)
3) How many people living in my house. When I answered that question he looked at my employer's letter, W-2s and tax returns
4) How I became a permanent resident

He then proceeded to do some paper work, computer work, cancelled my parents multiple-entry visa to the US, took their I-94's, stamped their passports and congratulated them.

It all seemed to go by so fast but infact when I checked my watch after the interview we were there about 30 minutes. The overall feeling I got from the interviewer was that he wanted to give my folks their greencards as long as the i’s were dotted and t’s crossed off. We didn’t feel grilled or put to the test at all. It was a lot smoother than I expected. The only thing that took me by surprise is that he didn’t readily accept the Houston Birth certificates and was only convinced after we showed their date-of-birth on something hat originated in India. I am also puzzled why a passport cannot be used as proof for your date of birth.

Thanks for all your help in this process and good luck in all your dealings with immigration. This is without a doubt THE place to come to for information and advice on immigration. THANK YOU!!!

Question on Birth & Marriage Certificate?

Congratulations to you and your parents.

A couple of questions:
1. Since you didnt seem to have the birth certificates for your parents, what documents did you submit with your application? Did you have to also send a Non-Availability certificate from local authorities or did the letter from the US Embassy in Houston suffice as the only proof of birth?

We are in the same situation as you were and are considering applying using only the letter from the local Indian Embassy in SFO as evidence of birth. My father also has his pension card, driver's license here with him that show his date of birth.

2. How long did the whole process take for you? My parents are already in the US and have 5 more months to stay here. Is it advisable to apply.

3. They also dont have a marriage certificate. Can this also be substituted with a letter from the Embassy? Are there any other options we can pursue from here in the US.

Your response is appreciated.

Kaz

SanPi...congrats. To you and your parents. I have a (somewhat silly) question -- are you a GC holder or a US citizen? You mentioned "We didnt realize we were going to apply for my parents' GC before my parents arrived in the US"; can you expand on that? How long have they been here? I'm guessing it takes several years to get to the interview stage, doesn't it?