Parent greencard interview

jzw123

Need to go to newark with my parents for their green card interview tomorrow. Not sure what to prepare. I made copies of the supporting document. But i don't have the copies of the submitted forms, e.g. I-485, affidavit, etc. When I was preparing for the forms, I simply printed them out from pdf files and didn't make copies. Is it going to be a problem if I go in without those forms? I do have employment letter, past year's tax return, w-2, latest pay stubs to show financial support for my parents. What kind of questions would I need to prepare for. I know it is an interview for my parents. But I will be there to help out. Thanks!

jzw123,

my mother also has interview on october 18th at newark office. let us know your experience and questions asked.

You don't need to have copies of the forms filed, parents cases usually go smoothly unlike spouse cases where you have to carry a lot of evidence.

I heard that I might need to explain why my parents came to the US on non immigrant visa (B visa) but applied for immigration status while they were here. How should I answer that question?

I heard that I might need to explain why my parents came to the US on non immigrant visa (B visa) but applied for immigration status while they were here. How should I answer that question?

Just tell the IO, they realized that they miss you a lot, and want to remain in the US and live with you.

Fortunately, they are generally lenient on Immediate Relatives of US citizens, regarding the immigrant intent issue.

However, did they enter the US with the visa waiver program? That could be a big problem.

Hi jzw123,

Can you share us your parents interview experience? What questions were asked and how long did the interview last?

Hey there. Thanks everyone for your input. My parents passed the interview yesterday.

The interviews were scheduled at 1:00pm for my mother and 1;30 for my father. But never an interview would start on time, right :) We got called at 1:30. I asked if my parents could be interviewed together as they needed me to interpret. They said ok. To much of our surprises, the IO officer was chinese therefore no interpretation was needed. She was pretty nice. She went thru the question list on the I-485 form. And that was about it as far as formal interview went. She also asked questions here and there about my family, when I came here, how I got my green card (thru work in my case) and how often my parents came to visit me. And since she was chinese, apparently she could understand conversations between me and my parents. Now I think about it, it makes great sense to have someone who understands your language to interview you as it is much easier that way to pick up subtle clues.

I didn't bring in the forms. They had everything. The IO didn't ask about the timing of the support document either. She did pointed out the picture on my birth certficate didn't look like me at all. I explained that picture was taken about 20 years ago and my parents never had any other passport pictures of me except that. And I showed her my old passport which had that picture on it.

All in all, it was a good and smooth process. Was in and out in about an hour. I parked my car behind the federal building. If you drive on broad street south bound, take the first left turn after passing the federal building, follow the sign, you'll see the lot right behind the building.

Again thanks everyone. Good luck if you have an upcoming interview.

She did pointed out the picture on my birth certficate didn't look like me at all. I explained that picture was taken about 20 years ago and my parents never had any other passport pictures of me except that.

Your picture is on your birth certificate? That's unusual.

My father has interview scheduled next week. He is here on Visitor Visa. He is 90 years old and has dementia. No one is there in my country to take care of him. He came here in last may( a year back). now during that visa interview there will be any problem for him. I filed I-130 and 485 at the same time to change the status.