Panic: need certified copy of own foreign birth certificate 2wks before interview!

sheppard1977

Registered Users (C)
I am applying for US citizenship and two weeks before my interview (Nov. 13) I have received (10/27/2008) a yellow notice “Case File Review Notice/Interview Document Check List”. The letter asks me to bring my original or certified copy of my birth certificate to my interview. The document checklist for Form N-400 never talked about sending in my own birth certificate (Dutch) with the application and I therefore never pursued it. Getting a copy from the Netherlands takes time and also has to be translated since the document is in a language other than English. Now there’s two weeks left, what do I do?

1. The letter states my own birth certificate is needed unless previously submitted. I am sure I have submitted a copy of my own birth certificate back when I applied for my Green Card. Does that count? I don’t have that copy anymore.
2. The document has to be translated, since it is in a language other than English. The translator must certify that the translation is complete and accurate, and that he or she is competent to translate. Does this mean I may translate the document myself? That would save me a bunch of time.
3. Has anyone experienced the same? What did you do?
4. Any other advice on this issue?

Two options:

1. Go to the interview anyway and hope they won't ask for it, either because they already have it on file, or the chance that the interviewer happens to not care.

or

2. Ask for a reschedule of the interview, then take the time to get the certificate and a translation.

Option 3: Translate the certificate yourself with a notarized sworn statement that it is true and correct and that you are proficient in both languages. (assuming you are).

How much time do you need to get the original?

I sent mine in for translation at a local translation service and it only took them two days to do. I am sure they can get it done in one day for me if I pushed for it. Good translation services can handle almost any language you want them to.

So your main concern now is to get your hand on the true copy first. At the very least, get a scanned/faxed copy of your birth cert so you can send it in for translation here in the states while the original is making its way to you. That way you will have a certified translation and a photocopy if the original couldn't make it in time to you, but you must do your best to bring something in.

I don't think you should be paying any attention to this "yellow notice" that you have received. Why? Because it's nothing than just a generic letter which USCIS has started sending out to applicants only very lately prior to their interview as per a memo INS issued lately to improve their processing and job performance in context to naturalization applications. And this is implemented only in a few district offices.

Further, speaking specifically of birth certificate then this yellow notice does ask to bring it only if it was not previously submitted to them. I'm sure you must have submitted it to them during the green card processing. Why don't you get a copy of it from your green card file? Don't you have a record of what you submitted to USCIS during green card application? Most people do keep the whole record of their immigration journey. So I don't see any problem in copying it from your record that you have in dealing with USCIS in the past.

If you don't have a record of your green card file or you didn't submit your birth certificate with your green card application because of its non-availability then there is still enough time to try to get it. You may contact the authority in your country by calling/emailing or faxing them and make an expedite request. If needed, give a power-of-attorney to someone to act on your behalf so that the person could obtain it in your absense. Things could get expedited...and could send to you via federal express.

You should still go to the interview even if you don't be able to get it on time despite of your best efforts. I'm sure officer won't even ask for it, but if you are specifically asked for it then just explain all this. You will be given a month or so to submit it before a decision could be made, but that would obviously delay your application, though.

Just wondering why you didn't bother to collect it all this time after filing your application a while back when I've specifically stated about this document in my list of documents in the sticky thread on this forum?? I think people should take the responsibility of ignoring useful/helpful information or not paying attention to it..or not searching enough information as to what are needed during naturalization. I mean some applicants are seen to be cried out lately on here by saying that their IOs were rude and unfriendly just because officers asked them those documents that they didn't bother to carry with them and just because officers didn't approve their application. But these people have been on this forum for a while and read my sticky posting, yet still chose to ignore it as to what could be asked during the interview. So I think they should blame themselves than blaming officers. I didn't pour my time/energy/efforts and passion in making that posting for photo-op; rather it's to help people so that they wouldn't face a dealy or denial.

Good luck...
I am applying for US citizenship and two weeks before my interview (Nov. 13) I have received (10/27/2008) a yellow notice “Case File Review Notice/Interview Document Check List”. The letter asks me to bring my original or certified copy of my birth certificate to my interview. The document checklist for Form N-400 never talked about sending in my own birth certificate (Dutch) with the application and I therefore never pursued it. Getting a copy from the Netherlands takes time and also has to be translated since the document is in a language other than English. Now there’s two weeks left, what do I do?

1. The letter states my own birth certificate is needed unless previously submitted. I am sure I have submitted a copy of my own birth certificate back when I applied for my Green Card. Does that count? I don’t have that copy anymore.
2. The document has to be translated, since it is in a language other than English. The translator must certify that the translation is complete and accurate, and that he or she is competent to translate. Does this mean I may translate the document myself? That would save me a bunch of time.
3. Has anyone experienced the same? What did you do?
4. Any other advice on this issue?

Johnny Cash,

Good point. Great feedback. I will use my record that I have in dealing with USCIS in the past. I am sure I have submitted a certified copy of my birth certificate back when I applied for my green card. I am going to take that and don’t worry about it.

I have read your sticky thread, but wanted to post these questions in relation to my specific situation; the reason they ask for my birth certificate might have to do with the birth of my son. He was born here in the US just before I submitted my N-400. I included his name and DOB on the application. That’s why they also ask for a copy of his US birth certificate on the yellow letter. Does this change the situation? I will still bring a copy of my birth certificate (if I can find it).

Thanks,
Rob