Paging to curiousGeorge & Kanadian

Wrangler

Registered Users (C)
My I-485 has been approved and I've informed in my earlier postings!
You guys are doing a wonderful job by providing valuable info here.

Would like to know what is:

1) I-551
2) I-181
3) CO
4) CM
5) CR

During PP stamping do we need to fill out I-551 form? Also was wondering is I-181 is the letter that comes with the plastic card?

My GC petitioning employer is not in business now and the case was processed based on future employment and having my case approved, is it necessary to inform USCIS about the present employment or just leave it.

Also would like to know about LC substitution! I do have an approved LC from
present employer. Would like to know whether this approved LC's (Labor) is eligible to use by someone for substitution as usual. Since PERM has been implemented, was wondering whether Labor substitution is still doable/valid?

Thanks....

CO -- Card Ordered
CM-- Card Mailed
CR -- Card Received

I think labor substitution is still allowed and yes if you have approved labor
from your present employer it can be used by someone who meets all the criteria mentioned in it ..

Wrangler said:
Would like to know what is:

1) I-551
2) I-181
3) CO
4) CM
5) CR

During PP stamping do we need to fill out I-551 form? Also was wondering is I-181 is the letter that comes with the plastic card?

My GC petitioning employer is not in business now and the case was processed based on future employment and having my case approved, is it necessary to inform USCIS about the present employment or just leave it.

I-551 = This is the green card. The passport stamp is temporary proof of an approved green card.

I-181 = The is the "creation of an alien record". This is the form that gets created to represent your premanent resident status in USCIS's records.

CO = Card ordered. This is the date that USCIS orders a plastic card for you.

CM = Card mailed. This is the date that USCIS mailed the plastic card to you.

CR = Card Received. This is the date that you received the actual plastic card.

You don't fill out the I-551. The I-551 is the actual plastic green card you get, just like an I-765 is the actual EAD card you get.

Some people get a Welcome Notice stating that thier case has been approved, and that an I-181 record was created. It comes sooner before the card arrives. Most people never even get this welcome notice.

I have heard that by not informing the USCIS that you have changed jobs, and by not filing an AC21, your green card can be rescinded even after it was approved. Its always better to inform them that you changed jobs, and invoke AC21.

curiousGeorge said:
I have heard that by not informing the USCIS that you have changed jobs, and by not filing an AC21, your green card can be rescinded even after it was approved. Its always better to inform them that you changed jobs, and invoke AC21.

I've heard that the moon is made of green chesse. Look, USCIS memos clearly and explicitly state that AC21 notification is "expected" but "not required".

ok, so how do you interpret Murthy's comment:

"even if the USCIS approves the I-140 petition, the person could end up being subject to having the GC rescinded after the I-485 approval if one fails to file the AC21 with the USCIS."

Seems pretty clear to me that there is a risk of action being taken against you by USCIS, if they so choose, for not filing AC21.

curiousGeorge said:
ok, so how do you interpret Murthy's comment

So, what position does Sheela hold within the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services?

I go by the official Yates memoranda. I think an Associate Director of Operations outranks an attorney. :)

curiousGeorge said:
ok, so how do you interpret Murthy's comment:

"even if the USCIS approves the I-140 petition, the person could end up being subject to having the GC rescinded after the I-485 approval if one fails to file the AC21 with the USCIS."

Seems pretty clear to me that there is a risk of action being taken against you by USCIS, if they so choose, for not filing AC21.
Murthy is an immigration lawyer and her survival is dependent on scared customers and the level of panic she can create among the community.

I agree with RC. In fact there is no official method of notifying about AC21(No I-forms, nothing). I seriously doubt if an AC21 letter ever makes to your file from the INS mail room. They probably have heavy duty shredders to welcome any letters that are not accompanied with an Immigration form.

What you say is true, she has no real control. Murthy's opinion is still very well respected in the immigration arena in general. She must have a good reason for having this opinion, besides just scaring people.

curiousGeorge said:
What you say is true, she has no real control. Murthy's opinion is still very well respected in the immigration arena in general. She must have a good reason for having this opinion, besides just scaring people.
Very true.
Our ignorance is their strength... :D