Overstayed and Detained in Memphis

WongGendeng

Registered Users (C)
Hello - I have a friend who has overstayed her visa and visited by ICE at her work place. Surprisingly, she was not detained and asked to go to the ICE office in Memphis.
However, she got detained when she was visiting the ICE office.

I'm not familiar with the process in this area as I don't live around there. However, she was taken to Mason and eventually seems to be heading to LA.

Now, there was a contact an immigration lawyer in Memphis, and she has offered her service to bail my friend out.

My questions are:
- What is the chance for the bond hearing will even get accepted?
- Does it make sense to use Memphis based lawyer if the detainee eventually will end up in LA?
- Is it possible actually to bail anyone out of jail after being detained due to overstay?

Thank you very much in advance for any information provided.

Hello - I have a friend who has overstayed her visa and visited by ICE at her work place. Surprisingly, she was not detained and asked to go to the ICE office in Memphis.

I'm not familiar with the process in this area as I don't live around there. However, she was taken to Mason and eventually seems to be heading to LA.

Now, there was a contact an immigration lawyer in Memphis, and she has offered her service to bail my friend out.

My questions are:
- Does it make sense to use Memphis based lawyer if the detainee eventually will end up in LA?
- Is it possible actually to bail anyone out of jail after being detained due to overstay?

How long did your friend overstay?

2.5 years
She will be be detained until ICE is ready to deport her .
Any lawyer willing to take your money for a bail hearing is just looking to get paid.
Even if a bond is given and thr bond is paid . There is something called an Immigration hold . Eg your bail just got paid , should be realeased but you have a immigation hold which means you’re not going anywhere until immigration clears you . Thats not going to happen in your friends case.

Ask yourself this . How can a person be released on bail back into the same society that he/she was just removed from because he/she . Stayed in said society for longer than legally permitted .

Thanks for your response Jbuff. I don't live in the area, and I don't know how lenient or strict Memphis office operates. In my area, I don's see any potential for the bail. However, I spoke with some friends in Memphis, and they said that they've seen some cases where the detainees were released.
Some were based on voluntary departure while one case was continuing with asylum application due to the fear of prosecution in the home country (I'm not trying to argue your point about immigration hold, I'm just sharing what I learned from other people in Memphis who I spoke with).

You asked me how long my friend had overstayed... do you mind explaining how the length of overstay can make any difference?

Thanks again.

Thanks for your response Jbuff. I don't live in the area, and I don't know how lenient or strict Memphis office operates. In my area, I don's see any potential for the bail. However, I spoke with some friends in Memphis, and they said that they've seen some cases where the detainees were released.
Some were based on voluntary departure while one case was continuing with asylum application due to the fear of prosecution in the home country (I'm not trying to argue your point about immigration hold, I'm just sharing what I learned from other people in Memphis who I spoke with).

You asked me how long my friend had overstayed... do you mind explaining how the length of overstay can make any difference?

Thanks again.
Lenght of overstay comes into play just like you stated . If she overstayed a few months she could be released on the basis that she would self deport/voluntary leave on her own free will .They give you Deadline of when you should be out of the country. With her lenght of over stay i dont see her getting that option . Nothing is wrong with getting a lawyer if you feel the need to try. Just trying to give you realistic advice .

Lenght of overstay comes into play just like you stated . If she overstayed a few months she could be released on the basis that she would self deport/voluntary leave on her own free will .They give you Deadline of when you should be out of the country. With her lenght of over stay i dont see her getting that option . Nothing is wrong with getting a lawyer if you feel the need to try. Just trying to give you realistic advice .
Got you... Thank you for taking time to reply and explain your thought.

Hello - I have a friend who has overstayed her visa and visited by ICE at her work place. Surprisingly, she was not detained and asked to go to the ICE office in Memphis. .....she should have left the us after that part.

2 things : illegal and working illegaly
Get a lawyer to speed up her deportation.

She wont be released I am assuming.

Good luck.

Hello - I have a friend who has overstayed her visa and visited by ICE at her work place. Surprisingly, she was not detained and asked to go to the ICE office in Memphis. .....she should have left the us after that part.

2 things : illegal and working illegaly
Get a lawyer to speed up her deportation.

She wont be released I am assuming.

Good luck.

yikes

My questions are:

Bond hearing and approval possible; if she doesn't have any criminal record and, xxxxxxxxx

@WongGendeng, could you pls update what happened finally and were you able to resolve?

Last edited by a moderator:
Marriage and asylum are designed for people in love and people in need respectively, not as angles to legitimize overstays.