Overstayed 27 Years; Leaving the U.S.

catabatic

Registered Users (C)
A friend of mine arrived here on a tourist visa last July, 1985. He was just given a month to stay here when he arrived. To make a long story short; throughout all these years (1985-2012) he's been working, contributing to social security, medicare, paying taxes, etc...During these times he renews his passport everytime it expires. The consulate renews his passport (by issuing him a new one), with some misgivings, usually admonishing him for overstaying here in the U.S. He has no criminal relord, felony, or misdemeanor. He still has his old I94.

As a side note, his sister (a U.S. Citizen) petitioned him last 2004. But it'll take years for it to get approved. He's 54, just lost his job last 2012 and is "throwing in the towel" and plans to head back home. He has no plans of coming back here and not worried about the 10 year ban.

His concern is: Would there be problems on his departure at the airport? What officials (eg: TSA personnels, Custom and Border Security Agents) would he personally encounter at the airport? Would his valid passport, without any entry or exit stamp pose a problem?

Any help would be deeply appreciated. Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:
There should be no issues departing the US. He should retain documentation of his departure in case he changes his mind some years from now.

There should be no issues departing the US. He should retain documentation of his departure in case he changes his mind some years from now.

Thank you TheRealCanadian for the advice. When you say "retain documentation of his departure"; what are these documentation(s)? What about those airport officials asking him questions?
Thanks.

When you say "retain documentation of his departure"; what are these documentation(s)?

A copy of the boarding pass, and I imagine the passport stamp on entry to his home country.

What about those airport officials asking him questions?

What officials? TSA doesn't care about his status, and CBP doesn't talk to people leaving the US.