overstay/ out of status

diaperchanger

Registered Users (C)
hi everyone!
i was wondering if anyone was out of status before they were petitioned by their USC spouses and if this caused a problem during interview.

i am currently out of status and my visa was J1, currently waiting for the approval of my waiver then only then, can we start with the i-485.

thanks,
diaper changer

You can't file I-485 if you are out of status.You have to maintain your status in order to adjust it .

How long have you been out of status?

I believe that PaulK is incorrect. You can file I-485 as a spouse of a USC once your J-1 waiver is approved. The overstay should be pardoned.

From the I-485 instructions (page 6):
This ground of inadmissibility is triggered if you were unlawfully present in the United States (i.e., you remained in the United States beyond the period of authorized stay) for more than 180 days before you applied for adjustment of status and you travel outside of the United States while your adjustment of status application is pending.
This sentence would be unnecessary if it was impossible to file I-485 while out of status.

On the main page about who is eligible to apply for adjustment of status at www.uscis.gov clearly states that a person who is an immediate relative of a USC (spouse, parents and children under 21 years old) can adjust their status even they pass the period of authorize stay (given at the POE).

But you need the approved waiver so you, because your specific type of visa that you got in, are able to apply for adjustment of status even you pass your period of authorize stay.

I don't know if that can cause a problem and since is clearly states on the instructions I don't know how could it be, normally many other issues can cause a problem, you must demostrate that your marriage is bona fide and many other factors. If you need specific info go to www.uscis.gov or make a search over here.

As long as your waiver is approved, you are good to apply for the AOS. The only problem that maybe caused by this would be if they have reasons to doubt that you entered the US on J1 visa with the intention of staying back or if the marriage is not bonafide. I don't think you have anything to worry on that account.

I do not really know, but I would guess that it raises more suspicion if you get married when out of status, because they might suspect that you get married just to regain status. Diaperchanger, you should not have a problem with that because you have been married for so long. If you have kids as well (diaper changer ;) ) then that will be even more evidence of a bona fide marriage. I know that I have seen people on this board who also are out of status when they file for adjustment of status. Perhaps they can give you further assurances.

Anyway, how long since you got the favorable recommendation from DoS? Also, what was the basis of the waiver application? I got a waiver based on No Objection and it took USCIS just over 2 months to give me a decision. I hope you get it soon!

it's based on no objection and so far DOS has gven me a favorable recommendation last June 14, i got a copy already but no receipt from USCIS but i am positive that i shall get it this week or next.
my usc husband and i have been married for 4 years and have obligations here in US (2properties, loan etc.) so i can assure you that our marriage is real.... thanks!

I was out of status

Hello everybody.
I was out of status from 2004 to 2010
reentry in 2010 and left within the 90 days VWP
went back in august and even that I filled the ESTA I was denied to entry because My out of status.
I am going to apply for a k-1 visa(my fiancee is applying for me)
What kind of issues will I have to go through?
Thank you
Tony

Hello everybody.
I was out of status from 2004 to 2010
reentry in 2010 and left within the 90 days VWP
went back in august and even that I filled the ESTA I was denied to entry because My out of status.
I am going to apply for a k-1 visa(my fiancee is applying for me)
What kind of issues will I have to go through?
Thank you
Tony

For your first trip to the US in 2010, they let you in by mistake. Once you are out of status, they're not supposed to let you use the visa waiver to enter.

What status did you have before going out of status in 2004? Was it F-1 or J-1 with D/S? Unless it was a status with D/S on the I-94 instead of a specific date, or those years out of status were before you turned 18, you will be banned from the US for 10 years and you won't get the K-1 or any other visa before 2020.

You can't file I-485 if you are out of status.You have to maintain your status in order to adjust it .

How long have you been out of status?

8 CFR § 245.1 Eligibility.

(a) General. Any alien who is physically present in the United States, except for an alien who is ineligible to apply for adjustment of status under paragraph (b) or (c) of this section, may apply for adjustment of status to that of a lawful permanent resident of the United States if the applicant is eligible to receive an immigrant visa and an immigrant visa is immediately available at the time of filing of the application. A special immigrant described under section 101(a)(27)(J) of the Act shall be deemed, for the purpose of applying the adjustment to status provisions of section 245(a) of the Act, to have been paroled into the United States, regardless of the actual method of entry into the United States.
(b) Restricted aliens
(3) Any alien who was not admitted or paroled following inspection by an immigration officer;

(4) Any alien who, on or after January 1, 1977, was employed in the United States without authorization prior to filing an application for adjustment of status. This restriction shall not apply to an alien who is:

(i) An immediate relative as defined in section 201(b) of the Act;
(7) Any alien admitted as a visitor under the visa waiver provisions of 8 CFR 212.1(e) or (q), other than an immediate relative as defined in section 201(b) of the Act;

(8) Any alien admitted as a Visa Waiver Pilot Program visitor under the provisions of section 217 of the Act and part 217 of this chapter other than an immediate relative as defined in section 201(b) of the Act;

(9) Any alien who seeks adjustment of status pursuant to an employment-based immigrant visa petition under section 203(b) of the Act and who is not maintaining a lawful nonimmigrant status at the time he or she files an application for adjustment of status; and

An immediate relative of a USC must make a lawful ebtry, but may still apply for adjustment even after the I-94 expires. The issue of a VWP overstay being eligible for AOS is currently an issue being litigated. The current USCIS stance is that a VWP overstay may not file to adjust status in the U.S.

From the I-485 instructions (page 6):
This ground of inadmissibility is triggered if you were unlawfully present in the United States (i.e., you remained in the United States beyond the period of authorized stay) for more than 180 days before you applied for adjustment of status and you travel outside of the United States while your adjustment of status application is pending.
This sentence would be unnecessary if it was impossible to file I-485 while out of status.

This is a reference to the Unlawful Presence Bar found in INA 212(a)(9)(B). They are not triggered until a longtime overstay departs the U.S. without first adjusting status to LPR.

hi everyone!
i was wondering if anyone was out of status before they were petitioned by their USC spouses and if this caused a problem during interview.

i am currently out of status and my visa was J1, currently waiting for the approval of my waiver then only then, can we start with the i-485.

thanks,
diaper changer

What type of J-1 waiver are you seeking? Are you a physician or an au pair or ?????

Just throwing in some basic information on the OP's thread. Diaper changer, if you're out there, how's it going?

The poster of the new question in this thread has a chance to get the K-1, if the situations described by Jackolantern are in play, but VWP or even a B visa is probably never going to be allowed again.

Your beloved may have to travel abroad to marry you and IF you are forced to go that route, you can only immigrate IF you qualify for a waiver OR wait out the unlawful oresence bar. IF unable to immigrate for an extended period, where will you two live?

I was 4 years past since my I-94 expired and the I/O didn't ask one single question about my status. I'm not sure if it's relevant, but I was on a B2 visa.

I was 4 years past since my I-94 expired and the I/O didn't ask one single question about my status. I'm not sure if it's relevant, but I was on a B2 visa.

Then you adjusted as an Immediate Relative of a USC [spouse, parent or minor child].

OR through asylum.